Author Topic: Chrono Crystal: A love story across time.  (Read 3078 times)

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Chrono Crystal: A love story across time.
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:09:14 am »
Alright, this story is basically a covering of the events after CC, relating more to the amibigous ending the producers managed. It stars Janus, a lone orphan boy living in a burnt down house, who world is wrecked when a woman calling herself Kid, lands square in his lap.

Let's begin shall we?

Prelude: The ending of the second Crusade
The darkness surrounding them couldn’t blacken the expressions on their faces. They stood so far apart from each other now, void of any emotion, faces hung low and blank. So time ago, their friend had vanished into the darkness that was slowing turning into a land neither had seen.

She was shivering. Her red vest falling slowing down her shoulders lifelessly, going unchecked as she stared at the ground with surprising interest. Her blond hair covering her from his face, one had could spark so many emotions at once upon the slightest glance. Her face had turned beet red, her lips suddenly dried and shivered from some unknown anticipation. She had known long ago that he had been someone else’s. That he was taken, and despite her growing flusters at his approaches, that he would never be hers. That was what she had been lead, for so long, to believe.

Until now, in this barren darkness. He shouldn’t have remained so long, staring at her with his ocean blue eyes fixed upon her, forcing her to star down. His meshed hair hidden beneath the folds of a red bandana with golden circle prints, his studded silver vest glowing to some unknown light. What was keeping him there. They had one, he had a life to go to, there would be no memory of this event. Of her, of them, and the unknown factor that had driven him to save her so many times.

“Kid…” He spoke, his hand suddenly reaching for her.

“Don’t mate.” She said, backing away a little further. “Don’t get anywhere near me. You’re only making this worse.” His eyes seem to jolt with anger for an instant, than he took another step. This time, she shouted. “DON’T!”

His face faltered into a scowl. He wouldn’t take her order. He stepped closer. “Don’t you get it mate? This ain’t never gonna happen! I can’t live with you or live your life. I can’t have your friends or anything. I’m gonna fade away from time, you’ll have never met me. I’ll just be….” Her face suddenly righted itself. As he stared, scowling at her words, his face only deepened into it as the tears rolled down her cheeks, smearing the white strips lining her cheeks. He had never seen her cry like this. Even when she had confessed her past to him, alone in the woods, while everyone was resting for another day of travel.

“You’ll never be forgotten.” He finished. “I promise you that. “

Kid laughed: He didn’t get it. He didn’t get the rules of time. Didn’t get that now, none of this had happened. There was no memories to grasp. It was all one big conflicting existence that would find some way to right itself. Time always managed to right itself. I would find someway to live without the clone.

“Kid.” He continued. “I’ll find you again. I’ll search the whole world and find you. That, I swear. Even if I die. I’ll find you before I rest in peace. Even if your old and married and with children. I’ll still find you, no matter what.”

“Why? Why do you do this to me?” She screamed, falling to the floor that had now become dirt, with grass beginning to sprout in patches. “STOP IT!”

“I can’t.” He whispered. He towered over her, hunching over her slightly. He offered her hand, but she batted it away.

“STOP IT!” She screamed again. “Stop doing this!”

“I told you. I can’t.” He said again. “And I never will.”

“Why! Don’t you Leena! Don’t you have a life to go to! Why are you going to toss this all away for me? What have I done besides cause you grief and pain! I’m the one who got you involved in all this! The one who had your father changed!”

“No. You weren’t.” He whispered. She finally took notice to his figure, hunched beside her, breathing softly next to her ear. “Kid… you were the girl… I fell in love with…”

And then, he was gone. And she was alone. “I… can’t….” She breathed to the darkness that was slowly calling back to her. “I… can’t….” She stood up again, wiped the tear from her eyes, then turned to the darkness, her face standing with a breaking glare.

“I WON’T LET IT END LIKE THIS!” She declared as the darkness swallowed her whole.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 06:18:05 am by grey_the_angel »

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Crystal: A love story across time.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:15:23 am »
Chapter 1: Little boy of the Forest
He had woken in another cold sweat. It had been that nightmare that had been taunting him for months on end. His blood shot eyes grew fixed on the ceiling, brunt and broken through, thick vines from the large willow tree above and around it stabbing through various holes that lined it. Sweat dripped from his small, rounded features as he sat up, eyes affixed on the large circle carved into the broken frame, something Terra had done a while ago to prevent it’s collapse, or so he had been told. There were many of these same marks across the crumbling halls of this house. The sole thing keeping it from crashing, he had assumed, was those very marks and the large redwood that towered above it.

He had to be no older than eight, his short arms lined with a roll of baby fat that had yet remained throughout his ventures. Even though Tsunami and Gale were strict to his exercise (which he always grunted a disproval at before starting), he had never seemed to quite manage the feet of removing it from his body. His Cerulean eyes caught sight of his purplish bandana, marked with golden circles broken along their paths with small spikes. He grabbed it, relishing in the soft feel of the fabric. Silk, Gale told him, it was called. Highly expensive material, whatever that had meant. It had been mended in some places; the years of wear setting in slowly.

He held it close. A lusty feminine voice called out to him, almost seducing his so quick silence when it spoke. “The same dream, huh? I swear, your more than a handful lately.” He turned to the familiar look of a small dragon, walking closer to him. It had a tan shading to it, it’s underside lined with a row of white scales. It stood on two legs, both thick and unwieldy somewhat. Its arm like a human, at it’s sides, high up, and thick, broke into 3 fingers, each one carrying a large nail, grimy with dirt. The dragon hopped up onto the bed, dangling its stocky legs slightly.

“ I’m sorry Terra.” The small dragon mustered a smile, but it looked more like a snarl, razor sharp teeth the only thing visible from beneath it’s leather flaps. The small dragon patted his head, stroking it twice, then stopped, noticing the thin flap of fabric in his hands. She stared at it a little, then jumped off and trotted towards the door.

“I’ll fix ya some soup. That always sends ya right to sleep.” She whispered, crackling another odd smile. “Plume! Tsunami!” Two moans were heard from beyond the bedroom walls. In another room that could’ve been the whole house away, thanks to the holes the broke through the walls of the house.

Thump thump thump thump thump. One of them was in a foul mood, Janus noted, shrinking slightly at the thought of another choice set of words with one of them. Last time, it had been Gale, who was the softest of them by far. He had warned Janus of the chasm that fell into darkness through the earth, a couple of miles east of them. He had known full well Janus would have been curious about it, and still had told him. How was it his fault the thick log he had tried to walk across chose then, of all times, to give way. Gale had never been so furious in his life. It was the first time, Janus remembered, that he had actually seen Gale draw teeth to him. Though it had been quickly remedied when he started to tear up, He never went against Gale’s warnings again, no matter how curious he was.

His gaze was a blood stone shade of red, no pupils to speak of, yet one could tell his gaze was more affixed on Terra then Janus. Two large fangs poked from underneath his light red hide, slight cornifications underneath his eyes, giving him an almost demon appearance. His voice was a low and broad, almost as if he had be a giant, bewitched somehow to that miniscule body. “Terra, if you would, please do call us in the middle of the night for some avid nightmares. Even if the boy cannot sleep, the rest of us can, shall, and will.” Janus tucked his face behind his shoulder. Terra let her arch into a questioning look, then stifled a laugh that was most definitely sarcastic. Plume suddenly choked on his next set of words, and cleared his throat, before crossing his arms again and taking his usual board stance. “What is it with him and these nightmares anyway? The boy never had any trouble before. Now for the past week I have been woken by his visions of some woman he’s never even seen before. As if she were real.”

“All dreams contain some truths, you know that.” Terra snapped back instantly, as if she was expecting it all along, “I don’t care how grumpy you are, he’s our responsibility to care for. I could you what that meant, so I won’t hear anymore of this. I’ll go get some herbs and greens for a broth. When I come back, there had better be some boiling water.”

“Do we have to?” He was shorter than plume, elfish in appearance, with a short stub for a jaw, big wide cerulean eyes with thin whit slits that looked like gills running through the center of his eyes. He wore a long hat on his head with a giant crystal in the shape of a teardrop. He bore a long collar that ran down his length with a greenish blue lining in twin triangle shapes along his front and back with an unknown scrawl on each one. Truly the oddest one, but at least he was nearly always smiling. “I was dreaming I was a butterfly dreaming I was a man.” He said with a sigh, as if it was the most beautifulness thing in the world.

Completely oblivious from the odd stares he was getting, though not from the giggle the escaped from Janus’ mouth, he cracked a smile, and earned a well deserved sigh from Plume.

“Okay… enough for this idiot.” The fire dragon snorted. “Well have the water ready when you get back, but don’t take to long, well only get it to a boil. You and him are responsible for it yourselves. Don’t take too long Terra.”

Terra had gone and come back with a decent bundle of rabbits before the water had fully boiled, prompting another grumble from the oldest of the three. Soon the broth was simmering away, the smell sending Janus and Tsunami into a drunken haze. “Fine, Tsunami, you can have some.” Terra conceded after a few minutes of his usual groveling. “But only one bowl.”

The soup finished quickly, Plume already off in bed long before, Terra and Tsunami were beginning to feel the affects of the late night meal. Janus, however, could only pretend to be lulled to sleep, his mind far to busy to rest.

That girl…in my dream… His thoughts ran. Why do I always she her… why is she always dying in my dreams…

Somehow, through the night, Janus had managed to fall asleep. He woke the next morning to the sound of Tsunami’s playful voice pestering Plume for something from the forest. That’s right, today Gale and Tsunami were to take Him to their favorite fishing hole. He threw of the covers, and went for his cloths, hidden in a burnt dresser by his bedside: A simple black Shirt, collar to large enough to cover the bottom of his chin. A red vest with a simple yellow pattern running along its edges, blue shorts, his bandana, and his mother’s hunting knife. Lastly, some goggles he had picked up from the forest.

He hurried down to the kitchen, where Plume was still arguing with Tsunami, who seemed to want him to go with them. “No.” was the majority of his replies to Tsunami’s many pleas. “Tsunami!”

“Oh Janus! Gale already left. Said we take to long.”

“That’s easy for him to say, he hardly sleeps.”

“No, its cause you two are such heavy sleepers.”

A chuckle escaped from nearly everyone in the room. Terra turned to them, pouring him broth into a clay bowl she had craved. “Thank you Terra! Plume!” He added as Terra eyed him. He pulled his chair out, stood up, took his dishes over to the water hole they had made, put them in, cleaned them with Tsunami’s help, walked back, put his chair back in place, said their goodbyes, and left for the door.

The vast expanse of forest surrounding them was Evident only a few feet from where they stood: all around them, copious amounts of trees, flowers, an a few nonchalant animals lay before them, converging into a massive blob of various shades of green, brown, and small dabs of various other colors. To Janus, it was a massive playground, filled with millions of interesting things to do and get lost in. He wouldn’t so much mind getting lost, in any case, if it weren’t for the small detail of the night. It was an absolute terror at night.

The things at were out at night. Terra had told of a few encounter with some of them: giant spiders that had made the mistake of making Plume their prey. The Snakes that swallowed animal big and small, whole, after choking them to death. Gale had been lucky enough to easy one’s grasp by biting it’s nose off.

In any case, he loved the woods, just no at certain times, he surmised, jumping over a log with some effort. The trickling sounds of water not far away, Tsunami sudden sprung with more urgency and nearly left Janus a number of times as the young boy struggled through the forest. He always gets to excited at the sounds of water. Janus sighed, passing down a small cliff’s edging.

Gale was sitting there, his head strained back to eyes the clouds with his pearly eyes, pupils like Plumes, though softer, and without the cornifications, though he still looked menacing. His skin was a pale shade of milky white, though still leathery and broken with scales, two beautiful white feathery wings in full exposure, his small body laid back, giving him a almost angelic appearance. He carried a small crown of gold chains the loosely clung to his head, with an opal jewel as the centerpiece. Suddenly aware of their presence, he smiled and stood up, pulling his wings in and cracking his neck. He had obviously been staring at the sky for a while now.

“What took you so long?”

“You sound almost annoyed.” Tsunami snorted, putting his hands to his hips.

“I kinda am.” Gale said, giving a playful scowl.

“Oh really? Why? Afraid all the fish would leave?”

“No. Not for that. I know you could catch them no matter how far upstream they went.”

“Then?”

“Well… we got a problem…” His hand drifted over to a small slice of the lake.

Janus gasped. There, nestled among the soft grass, half dipped in the lukewarm water, was the girl from his dreams… clad in the same vest as him.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:16:39 am »
The hurried down the embankment, Tsunami and Janus trailing while Gale had hurried back to her; holding her above water like he had done every few moments. “I couldn’t leave her here alone so I was waiting for you guys. I found her floating in the water. She’s got a few nicks about her, but nothing serious. The water is making it worse though.”

“How long since you found her?” Tsunami shouted as he came up, diving head long into the water. He suddenly became swifter than before, and reached her just as Janus had climbed down the last rock. Janus hurried on over, while Gale and Tsunami began to pry her from the water. He hurried for an arm, and the three pried her from the water. Gale was right: a few cuts were straddled all along her body. The water, however, had made the wounds only worsen, slow to heal, and there were quite a few squiggles of blood as they pulled her a little ways to rest her next to a tree.

She was breathing, barely, her breath low and few between. “Poor girl is tired.” Tsunami reassured Janus, who was horrified at her paling face. Gone was the supple pink skin with rose cheeks, replaced by some tint of ghastly white. “Gale, you’re the fastest, you go get Terra and Plume. Me and Janus will keep watch.” Gale didn’t respond; instead, he turned and was off over the treetops in a flash.

It wasn’t long till the incoming sounds of footsteps, braking bushes, and other signs of incoming presences broke the awkward silence. Tsunami’s head turned back to the forest. Looking around before shrugging it off as an animal. “Must’ve seen an easy meal. Be on your guard Janus.”

It was a reflex now, upon hearing those words that his mother’s keepsake, his dagger, flew free from its pouch. He brought it up over his face, his arms stretched halfway, his legs parted and bent halfway as well. Tsunami had gone into a similar stance, mumbling for his sister. Janus was a bit more anxious now: Tsunami never got worked up over anything. He was one of the calmest things he had ever seen. It was beyond Janus now, to stop himself.

“What is it, really?”

“Trouble. We’re being watched.” Tsunami said. “Get here quick Terra…”

It came with all the brilliant of plumes rage and the sheer boldness of Tsunami: Janus could catch a glimpse of a red circle before Tsunami had shoved him clear from its path, watching it travel a few more feet before slamming into the woods. It burst into a gargantuan ball of fire and smoke, a small fragment hitting Janus in the cheek, his face suddenly burning with pain. Three more balls of red came sailing towards them. Tsunami pulled up barrier of Ice; something Janus had seen before, though it had the same affect on him as last time. His knees grew slightly weary, though in a second he was same as before.

It was only thick enough to stop the first one; the second came careening towards Tsunami, and in a second, where he had stood: nothing. “TSUNAMI!” He screamed as an explosion sounded off nearby. The thick pounding of heavy footsteps grew closer still. It was a haunting sound, something he had never heard before: as each landed with a thud, it hissed and moaned as it rose again. As if the very being was tormenting itself to meet them. A flicker of light caught his eyes: something as bright as his blade was approaching, several feet taller than him. The underbrush protecting him from it broke: it was now in clear view.

It stood hunched over, a mask guarding its face covered its face: three black holes where its eyes once stood. A giant tube vine of metal ran from the top of its head, from its arms, and from its throat. It all ran to a large tank in the back, diving in and out of it’s half metal, half flesh body. He looked like a maelstrom at struck him, blindly tearing him apart and tossing the body amongst a metal ore. And somehow, it had survived.

Janus felt his knees buckle. The sheer weight of its blank gaze upon him was enough to bring him to his knees. “Oh no…”

“Damn it all to hell! STAND BOY! Katon!” A blast of smoke and gravel slammed into the creature, sending it head long into the river bank, flipping it a couple of time before come to a rest at the base of the water. It didn’t die, but it was immensely confused.

Plume and Terra landed roughly next to him, Terra dragging him to his feet. Gale landed behind them, checking on the girl Janus had long since forgotten. “Where’s Tsunami?”

Janus could do nothing but tear up. “It’s alright, he’ll be back. Mad as hell too.” Terra snorted with a mischievous smile.

Plume took not time to speak. He inhaled; so much air that his cheeks puffed and no smog had left his nose. His arms bulged out, his feet dug into the ground, body straightened to an arrow head, it’s deadly tip readied at the monster that had begun to stir. “Terra: BRACE HIM!” he murmured, his jaw looking ready to burst, wisps of smoke and flame escaping the tight lock of his jaws. Terra took hold of Janus. “KATON!”

A ball of blood red and blue escaped from within his tiny jaw, so massive his body struggled to stay in place, the dirt surrounding his feet slowly rising as he sunk in like quicksand. The water below evaporated as he licked the massive ball of flame. The creature howled, and disappeared behind its girth.

Then, like a demon spewing forth from the bowls of hell itself, it slammed its hard metal fist into Plume. He had no time to reel back from the pain: the creature took hold of his head and slammed him down with such force that as he struck the bottom of the lake, he continued downward, a small whirlpool forming behind him. “Damn it!” Terra shouted. Her hand slammed into the ground, and tore out large rock that Janus was sure hadn’t existed before that moment. He felt his body weaken a bit more, but was far to focus on Terra leaping forward with all the grace of gale and slamming the large rock into the monster’s thick silver hide. For once in his life, he felt fearful, completely, of the very same people who had protected him his whole life. She picked the rock up, and slammed it down again and again. “YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE CHILD!” She screamed.

All this… to protect this girl? He somehow made it to his feet, and waddled over, the last of his strength before diving to his knees in a short run. What was she? Why wasn’t she moving? “Come on! GET UP!” he pleaded, though from Terra’s constant griping on femme necessity, should he ever meet one like her, he only tapped her cheek, the smearing white paint dabbing his gloved fingers. “Come on!”

A thick metal hand clasped his neck. Lifted him, threw him a few feet away. Tsunami’s body lay next to him, his pupil-less eyes staring blankly at his, the full brunt of his explosive encounters evident. A voiced called in his head: Stand you idiot! Stand! You can’t let it have her! She’s too important to let go!

Why? Why was he doing this? From some girl, he had only met, never before had even spoken to? What was driving his feet to stand? “Damn it…” He murmured. His body ached, his forehead was bleeding, his feet felt as if they were nothing but skin, hollow and barely holding as they were. “Damn it…” What was this feeling? He pulled his dagger from the ground next to him. Terra lay prone at the riverbed where she had laid her assault. A giant imprint of a foot engraved around her.

None of them could do it … what was forcing him to try? His foots suddenly sprang forward, each one wobbling slightly as it moved, each with increased speed as he continued, as if he’d tumble forward if he stopped. Dagger faces blade down, giving you the ability to punch more effectively in combat. A dagger face up risks stabbing yourself.

Terra had never taught him that. Somehow he had known on instinct. He jutted forward. Another thick arm had grasped the neck of this girl. She suddenly gasped for breath, without movement.

He couldn’t predict what would happen next. His feet lifted off the ground. The massive tank was exposed. He bore down with all his weight. Suddenly, he was filled with an urge he had never felt before.

The urge to protect.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 06:17:17 am »
He could only wonder what had possessed him to straddle this large creature for the sake of a girl he didn’t know, for reasons beyond him. As it bucked and turned underneath him, He thought for a moment about his decision. Was this possibly the worst mistake he had ever made? Not even Terra, who could control the other three with a simple glare, had been enough to stop this monster. It bucked and turned at Janus’ presence, unable to grasp him from his small hiding place.

He suddenly felt himself falling, and flew off as the beast tried to crush him. It rolled to its feet quickly, the bare bulk of the creature gleaming flesh now tainted with encrustations of dirt from the earth it had churned up. Somehow, Janus had managed to his feet as well, though with considerable effort. He waited for the beast to charge him, but it did nothing but stare at him. A cold stare, its huge black disks for eyes unmoving, never blinking, never turning away.

“So… You’re his son… interesting…all data about told of your death.” Janus’ eyes grew fierce, his body crunched itself defensively, and dagger eye level. His breath was ragged, legs failing on him still, but he would be damned if he would deal with Terra later. Its voice was monochromatic, prefect for such a hallow expression. It was broken between words, almost as if it was making sure of each one. “Makes no difference: a prototype cannot defeat me.”

“Prototype?” Was all he mumbled back. He charged at me again. It swung its broad arm at him: somehow, he had managed to avoid it and slip into a pocket between it and its’ exposed chest. He reached in, twisted his knife, and held on for dear life as he was hosted into the air as it arched it back. The blade swung loose, and we sailing into the river, landing with a, thankfully, soften blow.

It, however, was broken by giant hand slamming him harder into the water, forcing all the air from his lung out, his vision blurred for a second, and in his ears, came the CRACK of his ribs.

Down, down, down he fell. He had never thought the river this big, but then again, he had never ventured into it. The light he had cherished so much suddenly became encased by blue, and then he realized that he was falling into Plume’s hole. Through the mottled hole in the ground, he saw those twin holes, the cold soul of the beast, stare back at him, and stomp over him. He knew it then. It was over.

He was going to die right there, next to plume. Oddly, he held no fear of it, no remorse in any of his actions. If I die here… I’ll get to say hi to my parents, and we can live happily ever after… in heaven…

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 03:30:24 pm »
I'll post it in the fanfiction section. Thanks.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:42:34 am »
Chapter 2: The budding flower of fate
The glowing beams of the wall seals were all he had left now. He had managed to catch a rabbit strayed to far from it’s companions. It was small, but then again so was he. More then likely he would toss out most of it.

There was no fire going, only a few dim embers barely providing heat. He shrugged it off, seeing as he was going to bed anyway. He drank whatever he could of the soup he had concocted, discovering anything tasted good with a few herbs, and dumped some of it onto the fire who it would go out. He headed down the empty hall way, his finger limply tracing along the seals terra had set, their glow still as brilliant as always, and open the door to his room. He didn’t know why he always expected them to be there. They never were, they were never going to.

It had been four months since Terra, Plume, Tsunami, and Gale has left him. Four months since that strange woman in similar cloths had last patted him on the head. Four months since he had last found any real reason to smile.

At first, when her eyes opened, Janus was curious. They were like a beautiful shade of ocean blue jewels, laden on her equally beautiful face. As She slowly realized he was staring a few inches away from her, she smiled, and said softly “hi.”

“HI!” He replied eagerly. He pulled back into a sit, his legs tucked beneath him. She jostled the covers to the side, and pulled her legs out over the bed. “You’re pretty!” He said, not knowing anything else that she would like to her.

She smiled at his makeshift compliment. “Thanks mate. Head hurts though… bugger…where am I?” She whispered, grabbing the area in pain. Janus smiled. If it hadn’t been for Tsunami, neither of them would be here right now.

It was one giant blast, his powerful strokes sending him careening through the water faster than anything could move. As his legs jostled back and forth against the pulling water, he dove quickly, grabbing the two boys from the dark hole.

“Hold on boys, I’ll save us.” He said, though it went unnoticed. Janus couldn’t hear, let along see, Tsunami in his current state. He had somehow known it was him, which it was something he would have said. The great beast that lent his back, large and impressively built, muscles crisscrossing the body. But… what was he at this point.

Cold dirt, He had laid them down. A moment later, a scream, some rumbling, and then… his bed, warm and welcoming.

As he had awoken, there she was, next to him. She appeared soft as ever. The scars on her arms were gone, as was the one on her cheek. He sat up. Smiling, for no other reason than she was there. Somehow, he felt happier with her there, near him, safe and asleep. He stared over her. She had awakened. This is how it came to be as it was now.

“Your at our house! Me and my friends saved you!” She turned an eye to him, and then stood up, still holding her head. “My name’s Janus! What’s yours?”

“Kid, mate.”

“Kid? That’s a funny name! I like it!” He hopped off the bed after her. “Um…”

“What mate?” She asked. “You know it’s rude to stare at a girl like that.”

“I’m hungry.”

“Bloody hell! You want me to feed you or something?” She snorted, cause Janus to jump back a little. He hadn’t really meant her! “… Sorry. Where’re your friends at?”

“Right here, child of zeal.” Terra snorted. Janus plucked himself from the bed, and hopped down next to the girl. He wasn’t sure, but Kid looked worried, and somehow, it made him worry as well. He really didn’t like people to be in bad moods, and he guessed that either she had never met someone like Terra before. Terra folded her arms, and turned to Janus.

“There’s supper if you want it in the dinning room, Janus.” She said. “I’m sure the girl is hungry as well, why don’t you take her down with you?” Terra sighed and walked away, muttering something to Kid. “If you’re going to stare child, don’t do it with such hostile eyes.”

“I’m sorry.” Kid nearly growled. “I’m not used to being…”

“Safe? Well, now you are, so go get some supper.”

Terra never showed up for supper. She had already eaten and Plume was in a foul mood from being the day before. Gale was as quiet as usual. Janus was in the middle of his meal and a conversation with Tsunami, who was as chipper as usual, both of them spilling some food as they spoke. Kid sat quietly, briefing sipping at her soup before Plume snorted, “Eat up girl, men don’t take much liking to skin and bones.”

“Oh yeah, Kid, this is Plume, Gale and Tsunami.” He said, pointing at each one, “They helped save you. The one you met earlier is Terra.”

“That woman.” Plume snorted. “That woman. You do not refer to people as things. That’s just rude.” Janus bowed apologetically. Plume cracked his neck, and turned to Kid. “Child, I believe Terra wants a word with you afterwards. ALONE.” He peered back at Janus and tsunami, watching both dive back into their food. Their conversations continued, in short whispers.

“Always in the dark, aren’t we?” Tsunami said.

“Yeah.”

Janus and Tsunami spent the night on one of the many branches of the tree that hung around the battered down house, right on the roof. Tsunami was proud of this tree. He had helped Terra make it grow. He had feed it when it was thirsty, dead in the middle of droughts, till it had grown to the size it was. It was the biggest in the entire forest, towering over the rest of it like some type of guardian. A guardian of the woods, like his friends were to him.

“How many leaves are on his tree, Tsunami?”

“So many,” he smiled, “it would take more than our lifetime to count them all. All of them different shapes and sizes. Different colors, like the world. A tree is basically the world encompassed, Janus.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, think about it. A tree needs to be planted to grow: needs a home to be nourished in. you don’t think much of a sapling when it’s small, do you? Can you honestly believe this big ole’ tree came from a seed about the size of your pink?”

“Really!” Janus plopped onto his shoulders. “That’s so small though!”

“Much like you are now.”

“Hey! I’m bigger than you are!”

“True, but I’m different from you.”

“Not by much.”

Janus scowled, noticing the fine change in Tsunami. He was being more serious now. His smile was smaller now, but somehow, more sincere. He was lost in thought, and, for a second, Janus could mistake him for Gale. “Yeah, I suppose your right. I’m a different leaf, I guess. But among your leafs, your tiny, but you’ll get big soon.”

“Tsunami?”

“Yeah Janus?”

“What attacked us yesterday?”

“Honestly, I can’t say for sure, but the way it fought… I have a guess.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, and if I’m right, things go a whole mess more complicated.”

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:43:00 am »
Tsunami turned his head down. He was even more worried than usual. Janus flipped himself up, and proceeded down the hill. “Hey! Where are you going?”

“I’m sleepy, and last time I slept up here I got a cold, remember?”

“Alright Janus.” As he leap down, he turned back to Tsunami, who had returned back to the sky above. Tsunami knew something, as well. Janus could feel it. Still, he also felt like he should wait to ask something. Like… if he asked now, it would ruin something for him.

That night, he heard them, talking in low grades, barely audible through small gaps in the walls. It was a debate, between the girl and Terra, and he knew Plume a Gale was there. Tsunami was still on the roof, more then likely asleep. Whether or not it was a good thing was beyond him, but it seemed like he should have been there.

“So ya think it’s not over then? What else could there be to do?”

“I do not know, child, but the reemergence of you, the child of zeal, is proof enough that the battle you fought was merely a starting point.”

“Hold on a sec, mates. Child of zeal, I ain’t. I’m me, the flesh and blood version. I like myself like this.”

“You like your old memories and scars? How odd.”

“It’s not that.”

“It’s him, isn’t it?”

“Ya know!”

“Why not. We’re also wondering about him. If the timelines have, in fact, healed each other, I’m curious to know whether or not that bloodline was considered a virus or a lifeline. If so, why and what does that entail? When you think about it, child of zeal, There’s a bunch of questions that need filling. Why did the first disappear and the second is unknown? It was HIS world. Where is he n….”

Janus dreamed that night. It wasn’t like the other dreams. There was no girl, no creature staring down with blind white eyes and a gesture-less face. No falling, no waking up.

There was a beach. Rimmed with plants he had never seen. It stretched out to a rim of rocks, encasing the world around it like a prison. There was no way to move out beyond it. And there, on that beach, he saw him.

He was faceless, sitting with one knee bent up, arm draped over it, a giant to handed sword at his side. He was watching that rim, silently, endlessly. Janus started to him, and he vanished. Suddenly, he was behind him. He was staring at Janus, his hair blocking his eyes.

“So your him.” He mouthed wordlessly, though Janus heard it clearly as if he had shouted it out. He held out his sword. “You’ll need to be strong.” He said silently again. Janus stared at him, walking up to him slowly, hoping he would see his eyes.

“Who are you?” Janus asked.

“A memory.”

“A memory?”

“Don’t cry. He’ll be there soon.”

“What?”

“Don’t . . . forget . . .”

“Don’t forget what!” He shouted, realizing the world was fading into darkness. He ran to him, only to pass through. He spun around. He was now carrying the large blade.

It burst with a sudden light, and soon, he realized he had another dagger on him, with a blood red cross guard and pommel, and black rags covering the hilt. He spun around. The figured smiled. “Don’t . . . forget . . .”

“Forget what!”

“He’ll be there soon.”

Janus woke up, though without a scream, without any sense of fear, doubt, anger or worry on him. He woke up with eyes blankly intent on the intricate design of the roof markings, glowing away and keeping the roof from crashing into him. Something felt… amiss. He sat up. He noticed he had pulled the dagger from his sheath, and it was now firmly in his palm.

“A figure from a memory?” He repeated to himself. “What was that?” He leaped from bed. The wood was cold. It was probably still night outside. Somehow, though, he wouldn’t seem to accept that theory. Something in him wouldn’t allow the privilege.

“Terra?” He said, walking down the hallways. There was no response. The bitter cold floor creaked below Janus as he opened the door to Terra’s room. It was empty. On the walls hung a picture of a women with a her face burnt out, barely holding onto it’s nailing as it swung to the vibration of the door.

Come to think of it, I’ve never been in Terra’s room before. He noticed as he entered, looking around the dimly lit room. There was a magic seal on the floor, protecting the floor from braking in. Several smaller seal set in the corners of the room, which made Janus think this was the most damaged room in the house. “Terra probably took it because she worried.” He said to himself.

There was a dresser, he noticed, but the dusk collecting on it told Janus it had never been used. However, his attention drifted to the small chest in the corner. It was well-kept, gold trim running along its soft edges. It glowed with a faint red ambience, and was engraved with Terra’s personal seal.

He reached for it. Its brightness grew slightly. As he touched it, the light seems to dim, and then vanish altogether. Janus withdrew his hand, and the box grew with light again. He turned his head to the door. Hearing no one coming, Janus went back to the box, and started to open it.

A blood red hilt lay there, broken from its blade. He picked it up, slowly, as to not make a sound from its silk encasing. A note lay in the wrappings, tied up so loosely it fell out as he flipped the blade.

“Four miles to the north.” It read.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:43:18 am »
As Janus looked over the old note, which looked to have been greatly cared for, he noticed a glint of a metal buckle on an old book that sat on the only untouched piece of furniture in the room. On the self there was a picture, but it was too faded to see whom it belonged too.

“I better leave this alone for now. I’ll ask Terra about this blade when she comes back.” He thought aloud.

It was now a four full months. Every night he cried himself to sleep. He had no idea why it hurt so much, or why they were gone. All he knew is he was alone, and every night we would find himself in one of their rooms, sobbing himself to sleep in their cold beds.

Knock. Janus’ eyes shot open. The house made no sound, other then the wind that passed harmless through. Still, he knew better, and reached for his dagger. Knock. Yeah, something wanted his home for his own. Terra wouldn’t like to know the house was overrun, so he jumped out of the bed. Through his time alone, he had managed to refine his skill with the dagger. Now, if it had come back, he was ready.

“Who’s there?” He said, standing at the broken entrance that creaked idly.

Knock. The door jumped with fury, the string hold it in place straining to hold it in place. Janus drew himself in. “Go away.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that Janus.” A voice called from beyond the door, sending a chill through his spine. How did it know his name? Was it… no… it didn’t sound anything like them. “Janus, open this door if you want to live. NOW!”

As on some playwright’s cue, the ceiling exploded. That creature . . . he knew it. Those deep red eyes, that thick ream of spikes running down its. Like a giant lizard with a demon possessing its soul. Plume had told of this thing. Told of how it had once tried to beat plume.

The fire demon, Xocotl, was staring him directly in the eyes. “JANUS! OPEN THE DOOR NOW!”

He needn’t be told twice. He demon hot on his tail, he ran for the door, pulled the tiny needle from the leather tie, and dodged to the side as a blast of fire expelled from the monster’s mouth.

He was lighting fast, moving into the blazed, and breaking it with a single hit of his sword. “If you think some little fire breath’s hurting me, you’re gravely mistaken.” What… was that he was wielding. “Janus, stand, get ready to fight.”

Fight? This thing was the fire demon Xocotl! It took Plume all he had to come to a stale mate!

“Stand and fight.”

He gained his feet, pulled the blue dagger from his sheath. No telling how far they could go, but something told Janus to trust this man’s powers.

Some told Janus to trust the man with the blazing red hair, with a long Katana at his side.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 04:56:44 am »
Chapter 3: Atonements.
He had a massive scar on his cheek, stemming across his face, from the bottom of his chin, to just under his right eye. His right arm was slung inside his large brown trench coat, held in place by a belt with a large sack at the back of it. White gauze was strapped around his arms, and most of his chest, and he wore thick dark blue pant tucked into combat books. This man… he looked as if he’d been through hell, and had single handily fought it off. But, his blue eyes were gentle; save the furrow they had looking at Xocotl.

The creature came at them, spewing a massive billow of flame. Janus managed to jump out of the way, and turned to see the man across from him. He readied his katana with his left hand, looking at the creature with intent.

Janus instinctively popped his dagger out, and held it in a same style he had with that metal beast from earlier. “Good boy. Protect the orphanage. There are still things we need from it.”

The man charged. The giant lizard sidestepped him as he swung down, billowing more flame. He tossed it off with his sword again, and then pulled his right arm from his sleeve. “Lighting.”

A massive bolt of energy streamed from his hand. Xocotl flung himself to the side, and then blasted another wave of fire. The man landed and stepped back. Xocotl turned, his eyes now on Janus.

“Fight.” The man said, reading his katana again. “Fight for her.”

It charged. Janus swung out. He was knocked back, followed by a trail of blood. Xocotl let out a roar. His face was bleeding a bright red. Lava. It was bleeding lava! Janus rolled back, but managed to stop on his feet. He could hardly breathe. First that metal beast…now Xocotl himself!

“Lighting.” A blast of energy slammed into the creature, its skins suddenly became more blacken than before. It rolled back, more lava spraying down. Janus ran for cover, and stumbled.

“The forest will burn down if we lead out there.” The man said. “We have to fight it here and now.” He ran towards it as it regained its feet. It turned, failing its tail. The man was caught, and was flung back. He landed on his feet, and rushed forward again. Dodged a high blow to the head, jumped over a low sweep, and barely catching its next swing with the back of his blade. “Janus!”

Janus wanted to run. What was happening? Why was this all happening to him lately?

It was that girl’s fault! She brought all this too him! Why did he ever help her that day?

“Don’t cry… He’ll be there soon.”

“You need to be strong…”

“Janus! If you don’t fight, you’ll never see your friends again!” Janus’ eyes shot open. The man was fending off the beast single handly, though barely: his muscles were sweating with strain and the searing flesh of Xocotl had begun to burn him as well. If Janus didn’t do anything, he would be killed, and Janus would be next.

For some reason, he pictured it as a storybook. This was a trial for knights. A trial by fire.

And for some reason, he didn’t believe the story ended here for either of them.

He ran. The beast’s mouth opened. He didn’t know what he was doing. The blade he’d carried so long without letting go suddenly fled his hand. “Be strong.”

The man jumped back. Grabbed Janus, fled into the house. A moment later, a blast of fire rocketed down the hallways, bursting through the rooms of the house, dancing past him and the man as it ran through the house.

All those years he had that dagger, hunted and fished with it. It was the only thing he had to remind him of his parents. Were their voices lay and told him right from wrong. And now… now it was…

“Its gone.” The man said, sitting up. “Tougher than I expected without the others. If I’d had Marle or Frog with me, we’d have had an easier fight. But that’s a thought for later.”

He stood up, dusted himself off, tucking his arm back into its normal sling like position. He picked up Janus, and dusted him off as well. He looked the room over, eyeing its seals and the broken walls. This… this was terra’s room. They really shouldn’t be in here. They’ll get in trouble. “Hmm.”

He opened the red box, pulled out the red hilt, and eyed the card. “Alright.” He quickly stuffed them both into his jacket, and they prompt disappeared. He then looked up. Terra’s book lay untouched. “….” He let out a thick breath, and eyed it intently, not moving. He touched it, sighing at the leather touching his skin. Picked it up, opened it to a page.

“‘ Thus the curtain closes on another tale.

An eternity has passed...

Fleeting dreams fade into the distance...

All that is left now

Is me and my memories...

But I'm sure we'll meet again,

Someday, you and I...

Another place, another time.

It's just that we might not realize

That you are you and I am me...

Let us open the door to the great unknown,

Come across another reality,

And live another today...

Even when the story has been told,

Life goes on...

Until we meet again,

Take care of yourself, my friend...”

“Ha… HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!” He laughed uncontrollably, holding his head, his smile scarring Janus. “Schala, did you really believe this when you wrote it? That you could solve everything by yourself, and be happy? DID YOU LEARN NOTHING FROM US!” He screamed, suddenly vicious, his arm ready to attack. Janus jumped, and swallowed the yelp the wanted to make.

The man turned to him. His face suddenly dropped. He looked down at the book. Something similar to the terror of Janus had crept unto his face, his face frozen with confusion as well.

“I’m… sorry.” He pulled his arm back into his sleeve. “I’m… placing blame on her for my own mistakes. I’d have done the same thing she did. In an instant.”

“Who?” Janus asked, despite himself.

“Your mother.” Janus’ eyes widen at the thought of her name. “Yes. I know your mother.”

“How? How do you know my mother? Who are you?”

“I’m someone who shouldn’t exist anymore.” He walked towards the door. “An enigma, trying to save that which does not want to be saved.”

“Huh?”

“Well, actually, I guess… I’m your great uncle, Crono.”

The words slammed into Janus’ brain like a ton of bricks. Never once did Terra tell him about his other family members: whether they were alive or dead. Come to think of it, he’d never been told if his own parents were alive or dead. And now, before him, stood his own uncle. Or great uncle, but he didn’t really know the difference anyway. It was, well… breathtaking to say the least.

This man with the scarred face, and the gentle eyes: his uncle? What else had Terra hidden from him? “My… uncle?”

“Yeah. And this book, its your mother’s. But not from now: later.” Janus cocked his head at Crono, who fingered the book, his eyes still on it with intent. “Your mom…. And me… we both made mistakes we had to atone for… big mistakes…”

“Like swiping food from the pot early? Or running across the chasm logs?”

“Something along those line… worse… but, thing is, there’s one last thing we have to do before we can atone for them. One last thing your mom needs to do, before everything is alright.”

“What is it?”

“She has to meet up with your father.”

“My dad!”

“Yeah. My nephew.”

“You’re my dad’s uncle too?”

“mhmm. It’s kinda weird, but your mom and your dad, knew each other before they even knew they were going to be in love. Your mom and your dad, you see, they each saved each other when they were very little. This place, its actually where your mom grew up, but it burned down when she was little. She would have died, but your dad bravely ran through the fire and searched for her. He saved her, but had to leave, and left her crying, and with in imprint of love already in her heart.”

“Wow…!” Janus said. “And mom saved dad?”

“When he was little, she saved him from drowning. Then, she saved him from dying cause of poisonous bite. He returned the favor, saving her multiple times. Each time, their love grew and grew. He save her from a poison dagger: she took a fatal wound for him. Those two, you see, their bound by the destiny of love.”

“The destiny of love? You mean like fate?” Crono grimaced at that word.

“No. Nothing like fate. Fate is something you can’t control, no matter what, you’ll do what it asks. Fate’s horrible.

“ The destiny of love… that’s something different. It means, because they love each other so much, that no matter what happens, no matter who or what tries to stand in their way Janus, those two will always find each other, and will always end together. Like me and your great aunt… Or… I’d like to think that… maybe… soon…”

“But why aren’t they together now then?”

“That… is F.a.t.e.’s doing.”

“But you said you don’t believe in fate?”

“Not Fate fate, Janus. F-a-t-e. One of the many mistakes we made: me and your mom, your dad, and everybody you related too.”

“Where is everybody? Where is my family then?”

“They’re… atoning… trying to at least… For the sins they made… the mistakes we did in the name of love. The destiny of love.”
“But… what did they do?”

“A thought for another time. Do you have the red dagger?” Crono eyed him, then the room. His eyes settled on a small box in the center of them room. He opened the box, sighing at the disheartening sight of the hilt with no blade. “Dreamstone is the strongest substance on earth, Melchior you liar.” He picked up the small note. Eyed it, gaze another heavy sighs, but smiled instead. “Schala… did you really believe in this happiness?”

“Uh… Those are… Terra’s things.” Janus said, noticing him pocket the two other items.

“No, Janus. They’re yours. But I’m going to keep them, just for now. Now lets go.” He stormed out of the room, walking out of the broken house and eyeing the damage to the surrounding forest. Janus followed him, and was in awe of the sight.

The ground was red, and he could felt the heat on his skin. The bushes, trees, any sign of life that had once existed in the area had been reduced to ash. The only thing that stood unharmed was his house, and the tree it sat under. That… and…

“Mom’s Dagger!” He ran over to it, ignoring the heat. It was unharmed, save for a few burns on the dagger’s wrapping. Crono smiled, despite his distain for the obvious destruction. He turned his attention to the house, eyes it with the same intent as he had everything. Janus sheathed his dagger with some effort, seeing as it was still hot. He looked at Crono for a moment, then back at the ground, and the ashy bush.

“Their not coming back, are they?”

“No. Not to here. This place… has seen its last days. It only wanted to live in peace. Unfortunately, it gained its wish.”

“Will we be able to see them again?”

“All points along the path we take will arrive at the same place. In the end.” He strode out unto the blacken forest, cracking his neck, and then said, without looking at him. “If you want to see them, if you want the truth, you need to be strong. I’m going ahead. If you want the truth, you’ll follow.”

Janus hesitated for only a moment. He was leaving his home, his friends, everything he had known in this burn-ridden house. Where he was going, he didn’t know. Where the future lead, he didn’t know either. All he could do is follow this ronin, this odd samurai claiming he was his uncle. That he could take him back to the one thing he wanted. Janus knew he was letting on more then he telling, but, for some reason… he trusted him with his life. Like, he’d known him forever, and known he could never let him fall.

“Alright!” he said as ran to catch up.

They traveled to the riverbed, then along its root. They traveled endless it seemed, till they came across the chasm. A lone fell tree bridged it to the land beyond the forest. Crono quickly walked across it, not even trying for balance. Janus raised his arms out, like Terra had told him to do when walking on small walkways, and took a few moments to walk across it. He leap off, and looked back. What he saw, was no less the oddest thing he’d ever seen.

There was no forest, no log holding island to the mainland. Instead, a rickety bridge and the lone, giant tree Janus had grown under. “Magic created the forest, and all its inhabitants. I knew this, because your mother and her mother used to live in that house. Even if time passed in an instant, the only seed planted their was at the top of the orphanage.”

“So… it wasn’t real?”

“It was, when you were there. It was deigned by your friends to sustain and hide you. When they left, it weakened, but as long as you stood in that forest, it was able to hold itself for you.” He turned to the newfound endless sea of grass, broken by only spots of trees and bushes. “This is the world Janus. This is where we will begin.”

“Begin what?”

“The rescue mission.”

“Huh? Rescue? Who are we rescuing?”

Crono’s expression faltered somewhat. He shook his head, and then turned his attention to the curious faced boy. “A thought for a different time Janus. First things first, and the sky alcove is waiting.”

“The sky alcove?” Janus couldn’t help himself. The world was all so new to him, and this man just spoke names, as if Janus would know what he was talking about. What was a sky alcove anyway? How do you get into something in the sky?”

“Its where an angel lost his way: Angelus Errare.”

The more he tried to understand, the more and more he grew into confusion. Crono seemed to know what he was doing, and for some reason, Janus found himself trusting him.

It seemed the mystery of what happened four months ago was only going to get more mysterious, so he only asked one question:

“So what are we waiting for?”

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 04:57:08 am »
Crono cracked a smile. He reached into his pockets, and handed him the diary, open, a blank page. “What’s this for?”
“Its your diary for now, Janus. Keep a log, so time never forgets your journey across it. Record everything you can; trust me: if I know anything, it’s that this adventure has barely begun.”
Janus looked down at the blank slate before him; His page, his life, to be jotted down into a tiny leather-bound book. “How do I write in it?” Crono pulled a pen from another hidden pocket. Janus took it, popped its cap, and began to write.

I’m new to the world.
I don’t know anything about it or its people.
But I know this.

I want to find the truth.
The truth of who I am.
The truth of my past.

And I keep dreaming
Someday, somewhere
We can be together again.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:26 pm »
i was looking around the fan fic section and noticed your title of this story. it caught my attention so i read it. it took me awhile  but i finished it in like 40 min. this was a very intresting story. every thing was deep and really serious. i don't think you will post anymore but just to let you know. that this story has been appreciatted. you have a new fan. :D

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 08:51:42 pm »
i was looking around the fan fic section and noticed your title of this story. it caught my attention so i read it. it took me awhile  but i finished it in like 40 min. this was a very intresting story. every thing was deep and really serious. i don't think you will post anymore but just to let you know. that this story has been appreciatted. you have a new fan. :D
actually, I got more. I just haven't posted anything new in a while.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 12:37:33 pm »
no time to lose. :) post as soon as you can. XD

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 01:37:40 am »
Chapter 4: The negetives

His uncle didn't speak much outside of the hour long “training sessions” he's give him each day. Most of the time, it consisted of hunting down some wild animal for dinner. Janus had to wonder if it was an actual lesson, or just an excuse to make him fetch the meal.

By the ten night under the stars he could no longer smell the familiarities of home. Indeed, even the creatures around him and changed altogether, and it had gotten somewhat colder the more they moved. Another week passed before Chronos turned to him abruptly. “Janus, do you know anything about... Negatives?”

“knee-gate-tives?” Chrono stifled a laugh, the power of it making his entire body jump slightly.

“A Negative is the opposite of a Positive. In math, it mean owing something. But that's not important. This Negative, however, is different from owing someone something.” Janus stood even more confused now then before he'd started to explain. “A negative is a zone that exists where no one, except you and me, can reach. Its a land where only people related to your father can go.”

“Oh wow!” He jumped up and down, brimming with excite. Chronos threw him a gesture, with a stern look, waiting for him to calm down. “What's wrong? If only people who knew my dad can go, why don't we got there and ask them?”

“Because, Janus, People who've DIED live in Negatives” His heart sank. No, no no! It couldn't be true! What would his father have to do with dead people? “Now let me explain: every dimension: that's where you and me live and breath and do all this stuff we're doing now, has a beginning, and an end. We call the middle part time.”

Janus nodded, if only to hear the rest of it. There had to be something that explained his father's presence there. “Well, at the end of time, what happens to the dimension?”

“Uh... I don't know?”

“It dies. Ceases to be entirely.”

“What does that have to do with my dad.”

“Well, Me and your dad, we broke a few rules a while back. I started it, and your father did the same with your mother. That's why they aren't here, right now, with you. Their being punished for the rules they broke.”

“Oh... so they didn't just leave me alone?”

“Na. I know for a fact they wouldn't unless they absolutely had to, and even then, they'd bring you along to make sure you were safe.” Janus smiled. For once, someone had reassured him his parants did love him, and told him there was a reason they had left him alone. Even if he didn't get it, the comfort was still there.

“But what does that have to do with the Negatives.”

“Well, me and your Dad Made them. When we broke the rules, we made the dimension we live no die, but when we did that, we made the Negatives, where they did die.

“A while back, The Negatives started reacting to something. The dead people in there were disappearing.”

“Isn't that a good thing?”

“Here, yes. There, no. Negatives are the opposite of a the earth itself: Think about this: the Sky isn't as black as the dirt you stand on, making it impossible to tell it where you stand. The only light around comes from the buildings, which are all bright white and glowing, the ocean a crusty gray. And inside the town, where lot of people used to live in this world, the dead are walking around, looking for a way out, back into reality, this world.” He sighed, pushing back a thought that seemed to come with his next words. “No matter how much we want those people to come back, we can't let them return to this world.”

“I get it. Their like a scary story Tsunami would read to me. He called them zombies.”

“A little different, but its basically the same.”

“What's my dad doing in a place like that then?”

“Well, that's the one part I haven't completely figured out. Even if we'd done everything ourselves, we'd still be around. The entity wouldn't want us- you know what? I'll tell you when we get to El Nido. The gate to the Negatives lies within it.”

Janus nodded. His father, whom he'd hadn't seen or remembered in so many years, was there. He had so many things he wanted to ask, he shook with the excitement of being able to see him for the first time in a long time.

Even if it meant going into a place as scary sounding as a The Negatives. “We're here.”

“Woooowww...” The city of Truce. Port city of the Old Guardia empire, and the only place to book a ship to the El Nino archipelago. The city was surrounded by a array of cannons, both on the port, and a few scattered along a makeshift wall. Inside, solders and commoners alike went on with daily life, their houses not supported by the same means as Janus' tree. Some stretched higher then Janus' did, made of brick instead of wood. Some held signs, a few vendors lining the streets.

Chronos scowled even harder at the thought of it. “We'll make for a boat. Try not to get into trouble, okay? The last thing I need is a fight.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 01:38:09 am »
On and on Crono lead Janus. His home no more then a speck on the horizon. Through parts of the forest he'd never explored before. Crono remained silent, pausing in his cold march only when Janus complained and grew tired. Before long, Crono and taken his free arm, and throw Janus, now in amid a restful slumber, over his shoulders.

When Janus awoke from his nap, it near dusk, and across from Crono stood a sight he'd never seen before: A worn, broken bridge drew out from the land, reaching across to the cliff slide a mile or so away. On the rocky ledge stood no trees, but endless patches of green. Beneath it, waves rode up and down softly on sandy beaches, and water pounded against the bridges supports.

“Wow...” Janus exclaimed.

“... There's more beyond this road.” Crono said, uncupping his hand as Janus slid off. “Janus. Do you know the world?”

“World?”

“The forest you live is nothing but section of the world. I've been around many places in world, and I can say this much: your forest is the most peaceful place I've ever been to.” He pulled something from his many hidden pockets lining the inside of his jacket. Janus couldn't see what it was exactly; he only spied a small spool of rope hanging from it. Crono paused, then placed it back in his pockets. “Things will be more dangerous from here on out, Janus, but I don't want you to worry.”

“Why not?” The young boy replied.

“Because. I'll protect you.” Janus thought, for a minute, that he saw the man smile. “Let's go.”

The wood cracked and creaked every step they took, and Janus thought more then once it would give way, but as they drew nearer to the opposing side, he took notice of Crono's nonchalant expression and strode along in pace with him.

He again could only ponder what drove the man. Why half his face was covered in wrappings, and why he didn't like to talk much. He knew it wasn't polite to stare; Terra had told him that, but still, he was curious about his newly emerged uncle.

“What?” Crono asked.

“Huh?!” Janus jumped in surprised.

“You were staring at me.”

“... Why didn't you ever come and visit me?” He said, not thinking.

“... I didn't even know about you till afterwards.”

“afterwards what?”

“My death.”

“Huh? You died? How can you be standing if you died? Gale told me Zombies only occur if someone puts a spell on them. You don't even look like a zombie.”

“It was temporary.” Crono said. “And a thought for another time.”

Dusk had settled, the stars were out. Crono settled finally in the middle of a field. He cut a circle around them with his katana, setting the clump in the middle of the circle. Reaching deep inside his coat again, he pulled a small blue oval shapped thing, which pulsed with a dim light. He set it atop the pile, stood back, and without motion, slipped his right arm free of his coat. Like in the battle with the dragon before, light ripped across his arm, and shot off into the pile, setting it ablaze instantly. Janus could spy some of the pockets the littered the underside of Crono jacket, but quickly had his mind taken off by some pieces of bread Crono presented him. Off in distance, though, Janus could spy something he'd never seen before: stars that hung low to the ground and littered it like fireflies. “Wow! What's that uncle?”

“If I'm not mistaken, that's a village just beyond the royal woods. I'm not sure if it's a new colony from Porre or if we're near Guardia village.”

“Huh? Poory? Guardian?”

“... Right.” Crono reminded himself. “Porre a is large group of people, bigger in numbers then the trees the lined you woods. They steal under their own merits, and claim what they take was always rightfully theirs. Guardia is a village, where people gather, fearfully, under Porre rule.”

“... huh?” Janus could only stare in wonder. Crono seemed lost in his thoughts, his eyes twitching around, and he didn't blink or look back at Janus until the boy tugged on his sleeve. He looked away, and mumbled quietly:

“Get some sleep.”