Author Topic: Serge's Memory...  (Read 8576 times)

rotorkid

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge's Memory...
« on: March 06, 2004, 03:05:28 pm »
I just noticed something in Chrono Cross, and I apologize if it has been pointed out before. Throughout the game, you see FMV videos of someone falling in the water, and of Kid reaching out her hand to help someone. Could it be that these are memories of Serge, and he is actually remembering himself in BOTH worlds, where he drowned and was saved at the same time? Again, I apologize if this has been stated before.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Serge's Memory...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 10:34:48 pm »
That is an excellent theory; nothing else seems plausable. Care to name it?

rotorkid

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge's Memory...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 01:44:58 am »
Uhhh...Hmm... Bidimensional Memory Theory. Haha.

Green Dream

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Serge's Memory...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 07:43:24 pm »
I beat through the game but I never remember that part.  When do you see it?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Serge's Memory...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 09:17:22 pm »
I always thought that he fell into the water and was then saved by Kid, so he would have memories of both events. The falling part could also have occured when he was attacked by the panther.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Serge's Memory...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:36:08 am »
Mother flippin' thread revival!

So I saw this theory and thought it was entirely fascinating. Serge remembers both timeline divergents simultaneously; he remembers both drowing and being saved by post-Chrono Cross Kid.

I have been trying to scour the FMVs of the game to try and see where rotorkid mentioned someone falling into the water. Can someone point me to this?

The closest I can find would be here:
https://youtu.be/p4hMaQG5efo?t=564

In this, we see two scenes back-to-back, which never actually take place in-game. The first shows Kid standing on Opassa Beach, and the camera almost drifts towards her. She reaches out her hand, smiles serenely, and the POV is pulled into her eyes. Then, after an abrupt cut, we are floating amongst rock and coral, then look up at the water surface far above us, the sunlight encompassing all in a fade to white.

The two scenes are contrasts and symbolic - the timeline in which Future Kid saved young Serge, and then the timeline where Serge drowned.

This theory makes sense, just wondering if anyone can remember anything specific about Serge drowning in an FMV as originally mentioned by rotorkid.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:08 pm »
What would the mechanics of this theory consist of? Basically what catalyst or event specifically sparked this memory ability? Since Serge is such a unique person, what specifically about him, or that happened to him, would have caused this?

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:29:40 pm »
IIRC, this scene shows just after Serge is changed into Lynx and shunted into the MC Escher painting. Wouldn't surprise me if dreaming about both possibilities was a side-effect of that.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 02:17:08 am »
Memories... or visions?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 05:00:28 am »
I always just chalked it up to using resources that were cut from the final game...I like this theory a lot more!