Poll

Do you prefer Rpg Maker or Temporal Flux

Temporal Flux
6 (60%)
Rpg Maker
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Temporal Flux or RPG Maker?  (Read 1964 times)

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
Temporal Flux or RPG Maker?
« on: April 30, 2006, 04:23:03 pm »
This be my first poll

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Flux or RPG Maker?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 05:39:36 pm »
Tf because the memory size is smaller and i dont belive you can create patches for roms with the RPGMaker, but i know nothing about the RPGMaker so please dont quote me

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:40:43 am »
Sorry to say, but i'd much rather the RPG Makers, so much simpler to handle then what TF is. Yes TF has some great capabilities, but it is all too technical for me. RPG Maker XP is currently my most used Maker, ive gotten to know RGSS (a form of the programming language Ruby for those who dont know) much better now and it is so easy to make great stuff.

TF is good in its own way but it's not my cuppa tea.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:05:40 am »
Sorry to say, but i'd much rather the RPG Makers, so much simpler to handle then what TF is. Yes TF has some great capabilities, but it is all too technical for me. RPG Maker XP is currently my most used Maker, ive gotten to know RGSS (a form of the programming language Ruby for those who dont know) much better now and it is so easy to make great stuff.

TF is good in its own way but it's not my cuppa tea.
You're saying learning a real programming language is simpler than tweaking some numbers and commands in an editor? That's kinda hard to believe. Did you learn RGSS alone, from scratch, or did you have tutorials, support forums, etc.? TF is much easier, it's just that there are no organized documentation as of now. There are tons of topics called "How to..." or "What do you want to do" to ask questions though.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:07:06 am »
It all depends really.  Temporal Flux makes it easy to use all the music and sound affects but the mapping is so annoying.  1 tile at a time while Rpg Maker you can click up to like 12 tiles at a time.  They both have their strength and weaknesses so its hard to say.  I use rpg maker 2003.  I would be using XP, but what I had in mind for a game is screwing the whole idea up.  But if you're making some type of Chrono Trigger RPG or something use TF, it's must more quicker.  And I agree with Chrono'99.  The programming language is difficult to learn.  Well, for me it is but for other people it might not.  But i've worked with it a bit, it's quite useful at times.  Also one special thing with Rpg Maker.  You can have as many characters as you'd like instead of a 7-8 char limit ><

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 11:11:34 am »
Be a man and use pygame.

Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:47:09 pm »
Being a Mac user, I can't use either one, but at least I can play games made with TF...

Be a man and use pygame.

Pygame doesn't handle complex 2D, tile-based scrolling graphics like those found in most modern 2D RPGs very well. It's better to use PyOpenGL with PyGame and then render your sprites as textures. It's actually pretty straightforward, but creating tools, graphics, and test maps is time consuming.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:49:59 pm by Ramsus »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 03:05:43 pm »
TF 2.0 let's you do more tiles at a time.  You just right click the corner of the tiles you want to copy, drag the mouse with the right click held down and it copies the entire rectangle and then after you let go of the right button you can paste that rectangle with the left button.  That action is so easy to do but so hard to put in words.

--jp

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:35:41 pm »
Maybe you TF gurus should try making screencasts. I hate them, but they seem to be working for the Ruby on Rails guys.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 04:28:27 am »
Quote from: Chrono '99
You're saying learning a real programming language is simpler than tweaking some numbers and commands in an editor? That's kinda hard to believe. Did you learn RGSS alone, from scratch, or did you have tutorials, support forums, etc.? TF is much easier, it's just that there are no organized documentation as of now. There are tons of topics called "How to..." or "What do you want to do" to ask questions though.

For the most part I learnt it from scratch, but I checked out basic documentation. I suppose for me ive never really looked hard into TF, considering mine isnt even working at the moment. And TF really was more Chrono focused which is great obviously, but I like to have options on what to do. And RGSS works well for me.

Remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Ramsus

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 04:46:38 am »
Quote from: Chrono '99

For the most part I learnt it from scratch, but I checked out basic documentation. I suppose for me ive never really looked hard into TF, considering mine isnt even working at the moment. And TF really was more Chrono focused which is great obviously, but I like to have options on what to do. And RGSS works well for me.

Remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Except children and slaves.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:33 pm »
Temporal Flux is better if you want to make a game using the Chrono Trigger engine.  RPG Maker is probably better for almost everything else.

---T.Geiger

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:14:57 am »
The major weakness in any of the programs is the size limit of the characters. RPG Maker XP Stopped that one so you can have almost any size of character you want, how many frames of animation, and do w/e.  It's perfect for a complex RPG.