Poll

Which version of Hurt is better?

Nine Inch Nails
2 (25%)
Johnny Cash
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The Battle of the "Hurt's"  (Read 940 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
The Battle of the "Hurt's"
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:55:08 am »
As we all know Johnny Cash died some time ago. And a movie was made about him, but that is besides the point. At school I was listening to Hurt but Nine Inch Nails, and my friend saw me playing it and he said "Oh wow, my friend loves that song! But his one is by Johnny Cash." I was soon going on my ranting about Nine Inch Nails and there musical sophistication (ignoring of course "I want to fuck you like an animal") and later in the change rooms and PE, another one of my friends publically exclaimed that the only Nine Inch Nails song that he liked was Johnny Cashs version of Hurt. I was soon going around asking people who had any sense in music (ie those that knew songs outside the charts, and those that DIDN'T believe that just because a song is old it means it sucks) and soon almost ALL said that Johnny Cashs version was better.

A soon went and acquired the Johnny Cash version, and after listening to both versions one by one, repeatedly, a said to myself "Jesus Christ, the Johnny Cash version ain't that great." For one, he sounds to old. This isn't some evil plan I have on killing all old musicians, but at heart we all know Hurt is about teenage angst. Trent Reznor expresses that angst, through a grainy, upset and awesomely angst voice. Johnny Cash makes it into a country song, possible about euthanasia (wait...thats not right). He also makes the song move to fast. Everything just kind of comes and goes, whereas Nine Inch Nails lets you savour the music. The only thing good that Johnny Cash does good is replace "crown of shit" into "crown of thorns" (which makes sense as we all know).

At that, I must admit, the song is good, even when Johnny Cash sings it. But to me, Hurt is incredibly better with Nine Inch Nails. It might just be my absolute love for The Downward Spiral, but all in all, Johnny Cash is now dead, so as not to ruin any more Nine Inch Nail songs. Of course its not a good thing he's dead...but you know- ok I'm going to end this now.

[POLL FEATURE #1] There are only 2 options, so no more voting for my joke options!
[POLL FEATURE #2] You can now change votes, so you can listen to both again, and choose the NIN version
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 01:56:48 am by Burning Zeppelin »

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: The Battle of the "Hurt's"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:04:29 am »
I vote for The Razor Skyline's version.

What?

Seriously, I'll choose NIN (based on the :30 sample of Cash's that's online).

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:06:33 am »
Well, luckily you voted for NIN. Now you won't be burnt alive. And on a different note, thanks to "Who's Online" I knew you were voting and posting. Creepy.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 02:16:56 am »
Honestly? Teen angst sucks. Teens shouldn't have angst.

But NIN had a slightly better version of it, I guess.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 02:19:56 am »
The sad thing is, is that if Trent Reznor were here he might've voted for Johnny Cash:

Quote from: Trent Reznor
    I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. … It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure.

And angst is a part of all teenage life  :D

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:31:04 am »
Some angst is unavoidable, but a lot would be prevented if culture wasn't so insincere, alienating, and manipulative.  It would do everyone a lot of good if we didn't have to spend so much time cutting through the B.S. to achieve progress and understanding.

*raises, shakes fist*

See, we could dedicate a thread to angst if Zeal Palace was public.

*ducks*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:32:57 am by Maelstrom »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:18:57 am »
You can dedicate a thread to angst here on General.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 04:38:58 am »
Lord J esq: Putting his foot down, one. More. Time.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 01:33:20 pm »
Kekekeke

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 04:13:43 pm »
I like 'em both (new NIN sucks btw), but I like Cash's voice a touch more...It reminds me of when William S. Burroughs did a song called Star Me Kitten...All smokey-like, full of that old kind of been-through-the-years-and-seen-lots-a-shit kind of swagger in the speech.

Who better to sing of loss than someone old who's been through more than just those teenage years?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 01:33:24 am »
Actually, I'm starting to like Johnny Cash's version a lot. Not sure if more, but the song is so much more catchy with JC. Or that just might be because my NIN version is a piece of crap when it comes to sound quality. I'm still not chaning however.

Oh and yeah, new Nine Inch Nails suck balls. Even The Fragile is better than With Teeth (thought that may be a tad to harsh)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 09:21:15 pm »
I hate Johnny Cash and Walk the Line. The only time I haven't cringed at the mention of either was during Silent Hill.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 11:41:57 pm »
Download the video to Johnny Cash's Hurt, and it will all change. It's...

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 02:27:35 am »
Download the video to Johnny Cash's Hurt, and it will all change. It's...
I did before you told me to, and now I'm really considering changing my vote :(

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 03:07:40 am »
Thats right, I changed my vote to Johnny Cash  :oops: