Author Topic: The Chrono Compendium - <you fill the slogan>  (Read 217490 times)

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: The Chrono Compendium - <you fill the slogan>
« Reply #360 on: June 24, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »
I must have just missed you. I saw him but not you in one of my routine checks. It would have been fun to thoroughly rape him (well, even more so). I wonder if he'll become our new nemesis, taking the 386s place.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2007, 12:17:43 am »

What are you guys talking about?

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2007, 12:33:46 am »
Unreal Tournament (Specifically CTF)

We uphold the highest levels of morality and intelligent play in the game, getting us a lot of flak.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2007, 12:38:07 am »
Unreal Tournament (Specifically CTF)

We uphold the highest levels of morality and intelligent play in the game, getting us a lot of flak.
Ah.

Maybe at some point I shall obtain a copy and join you. I'm sure you could always use another moral and intelligent player.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2007, 12:41:46 am »
Sure. I managed to get my legal (shifty eyes) copy about a year ago for five pounds off Amazon, including posting and packaging. Let us know if you follow up on this.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2007, 12:44:28 am »
Yeah, it's tough. I find CTF to be one of the most skill-demanding and engrossing styles of play. Just this weekend, I played three "epic CTF" games on Halo 2 and found them to be exhilarating. Few modes demand strategy like that. So, in our pursuit of perfectly competitive games, we've had to report lamers for all kinds of offensives, and our vigilance has actually shaped the rules of the servers we play on. We now have a proactive administrator on our side who has permanently banned three particularly stupid people who would get stoned or drunk and try to ruin the game.

So yeah, it's hard to demand perfect obedience of the rules from new players or those unaccustomed to this level of seriousness and skill. But 90% of the time, the crappy attitude of these players justifies whatever comes to them in the way of disciplinary justice. Here are my commandments, which completely summarize my thoughts on competitive play (in any sport):

The List of No Respect

I do not respect players who...

1. ...talk shit, flame, and demean others whether in or out of a game server.
2. ...teamkill.
3. ...use third-party applications to gain a competitive edge.
4. ...camp, piston camp, or use pure spam in camping and no other weapons.
5. ...fragwhore, deathmatch, play uselessly, or camp the quad amp or strength relic for frags in a CTF server.
6. ...constantly alias or use an alias to beat others then reveal themselves with insulting remarks.
7. ...abuse their admin powers.
8. ...believe their superior skill places them always in the right in arguments or conflicts and are bullheaded.
9. ...change teams unfairly or do not even the teams skill-wise when it's obvious the game will be one-sided.
10. ...spawnkill.
11. ...launch.
12. ...spam.
13. ...play designated newbie servers though they are skilled.
14. ...lag sufficiently to ruin the game and give them an unfair advantage.
15. ...play on Zark servers, hide-n-seek sniper servers, or any other server that has rules against "moving around too much."
16. ...disrupt the game with voice binds.
17. ...cannot respect different opinions.
18. ...believe being clanned is the purpose of playing the game.
19. ...disparage others on basis of country. (Well, Ms. Black and I do that a lot, but mostly because these European continental players are predisposed to immediately insulting us once they see my US and his UK affiliation, and because they don't seem to have as good a grasp of sportsmanship as others quite yet due to the late learning curve)
20. ...cannot take accountability for their own lack of skill and resort to calling others cheaters. (eOn's "cheat shit" comes to mind)

The List of Respect

I respect players who...

1. ...aim to develop skill and have fun, not internet credibility.
2. ...actively hold back from using lame techniques, even if it will lose the game and the other team will demean them for it.
3. ...maintain a friendly, competitive atmosphere and do not challenge others constantly.
4. ...never alias and take responsibilities for all their actions, whether verbal or in-game.
5. ...put every ounce of effort into a game, struggling with all skill and determination to win for the team.
6. ...play as a team in team games and forget about personal fragcounts.
7. ...share their techniques and practice with other good others to improve the general skill-level of the fanbase and move players as a whole to new echelons of skill.
8. ...are mature and can rise above trashtalking from others without stooping to their level or continuing the argument.
9. ...as admins, do not break their own rules even when they are at fault in a dispute.
10. ...don't play others with preconceived notions about their skill.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2007, 01:12:01 am »
You'd definitely have no problem with me, then, Zeality. I tell you this much, I get so tired of people constantly doing just that horrible stuff in many online FPSes I've played that I almost quit them altogether. (I haven't played one in months.) But considering that you and Ms Black seem to be but two of a group of players all willing to play the game fairly and all that stuff...it'd be worth it to start playing again.

But not till I've played through Wizardry 8 at least twice. I'm on an older game kick and I'm going to play the hell out of it.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:49 am »
Eh? Wikipedia says Wizardry 8 was released in 2001. The UT we play was released in 1999, almost exactly two years beforehand.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2007, 01:35:43 am »
Eh? Wikipedia says Wizardry 8 was released in 2001. The UT we play was released in 1999, almost exactly two years beforehand.

Butbutbut...you linked me to the 2004 version's article. Either that, or I just misread it.

Meh. Whatever the case, Wizardry 8 is what I shall play.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2007, 12:33:45 pm »
Nightmare: That's BTTF. It's Back to the Future, not Back to Future.

From what I remember, you're not supposed to abbreviate the words "the" or "I".

But then again, I may be wrong, most likely am. Thank you for that correction.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2007, 03:15:46 pm »
Bah, real CTF is played out at night on college campuses, sneaking about searching for glow sticks and trying to avoid detection.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2007, 05:33:40 pm »
The Chrono Compendium - <you fill the slogan>  ?????

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2007, 06:00:25 pm »
Bah, real CTF is played out at night on college campuses, sneaking about searching for glow sticks and trying to avoid detection.

Nope, real CTF is played in times of war, when one must sneak through enemy territory and get what he came for without getting caught, for the punishment is far worse than a suspension...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2007, 07:26:58 pm »

Wish I could play that.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2007, 10:18:50 pm »

Wish I could play that.

Figure out some places on your campus that have good hide zones. Preferably places near each other, so you can have two competing sides. Then find interested parties and break out the glow sticks. The smaller, "retro assault" games we play can be played with as few as twelve people, and our three team maps have supported battles well into the three figure range. Normal games generally require about twenty.