Author Topic: Chrono Crisis Story Update  (Read 13776 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Crisis Story Update
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2007, 03:16:40 am »
So far, it sounds great. I can't wait.

As for the Lavos making Humans evil subject - he didn't.

The game explicitly states that humans had no contact with Lavos till 3,000,000BC. And even then, that was with the Frozen Flame. Humans aren't inherently evil or good, however by coming in contact with the flame, they were able to comprehend so many new concepts (such as Belthasar said Love and Hate) and were able to pretty much become independent and more self centered in that sense.
That very self centeredness is what made Zeal look bad. The fact that people would want to live forever. I can't imagine Ayla wanting to live forever, but then again she wasn't as mentally evolved as everyone else.

Secondly, the Earthbound ones aren't innocent, they just can't cast magic. The game makes it out that everyone after 3,000,000BC has the potential for magic, it's just that not everyone was born with a high degree of magical potency, like the Zeal family.

Furthermore, you can't call the Dragon God evil. They still have some sort of sanity, it's just that their reasoning may be flawed. Remember, they had to fight the humans because they were dragged into the human world (all thanks to Belthasar) and had to witness many of Dragonians perish. What else would you assume the Dragon God would think of humans besides being the reason behind every catastrophe?

LA Journalist

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2007, 01:59:26 pm »
It's just a matter of time till this project is issued a C & D notice by SE themselves. Not only are you violating copyright law (i.e. Fair use doctrine) but your also violating SE's Terms of Use as well, not a good way to start an actual sequel to the Chrono franchise. Also, no how legit the story scenario may sound, or how cool the characters may look or resemble the original ol' gang - in the end, it's just fanservice from the get-go. Now, I hold no personal grudge towards anyone here or ill intent to cease the project itself, just thought it would be wise to let you know on a one-on-one level, or maybe you knew from the beginning? For instance, say the production of Chrono Crisis has already took its place, its just like me taking your "work" and recreating it into something that best suits my taste and criteria; the same applies here, and last time I check Akira Toriyama didn't collaborate with what seems to be teenagers, so it seems. The project itself is rife with original works from the original production team, although you say it's a "sequel", or so I believe it is. For those of you who fail to agree with me and feel the need to bash me since I lack a elitist title, don't bother; I stand by what I write and speak the truth from the get-go and also did my fair share of writing for the gaming industries. Just my input, take it and do what you want with it.

- LA Journalist
CV Times

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 05:30:59 pm »
This website is also a complete copyright infringement. Fans feel a need to express themselves, and sometimes use these projects as an avenue. Only the most deluded would consider their work an actual sequel, as none of us has professional game development experience or education (minus one). Fan projects are more so a way to generate interest in the series and activity in the community, which will still be accomplished if a C&D is issued. But that's their real purpose: like fan sites, they organize information and build collections of fans to perpetuate their liking of the games. If Crisis gets a C&D, ah, well, guess there's no way around it.

No one's going to "bash" you for speaking the truth, though. From the get-go, I've held the people outraged over Chrono Trigger Resurrection's cease and desist withdrawal to be buffoons. At least here, no one thinks that game companies are evil corporations (minus 3D Realms), or that Square Enix is somehow "the man" trying to oppress fans. The Compendium's pretty unique in that regard; it's not overrun by idiots.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:32:55 pm by ZeaLitY »

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 05:38:30 pm »
All that stuff aside, Zeality, you don't really believe that was an actual journalist who posted that, do you? It sounds more like some random Chrono Trigger fan who doesn't like the Chrono Compendium--I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head that would be capable--who put together this statement just to shout at Chrono Crisis because it sticks to every aspect of the canon rather than just to Chrono Trigger.

To be honest, I doubt Chrono Crisis will get a cease and desist, mainly because it isn't being promoted as much as certain other fan projects have. I've seen a whole bunch of fan projects for different games that take a similiar scale as Crisis or Resurrection, and they never received cease and desist letters. Final Fantasy H--a remake of Final Fantasy One with a whole bunch of original stuff tossed into it made using the OHR RPG CE--was made several years ago and is still quite popular, yet was never cancelled. Crisis will probably be the same way. From what I can tell, Square was far more bothered by the 3-D remake aspects of Resurrection more than the actual fan project itself. After all, they haven't sent cease and desist letters to every fan project, only Ressurection and...that...other...one...that was basically the same thing, a 3-D remake that.

So basically what I'm saying is that the journalist's argument is bunk.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 05:49:53 pm »
I would guess that it's D R E A M, but his grammar was never that good.

Ramsus

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 06:10:17 pm »
It's just a matter of time till this project is issued a C & D notice by SE themselves. Not only are you violating copyright law (i.e. Fair use doctrine) but your also violating SE's Terms of Use as well, not a good way to start an actual sequel to the Chrono franchise. Also, no how legit the story scenario may sound, or how cool the characters may look or resemble the original ol' gang - in the end, it's just fanservice from the get-go. Now, I hold no personal grudge towards anyone here or ill intent to cease the project itself, just thought it would be wise to let you know on a one-on-one level, or maybe you knew from the beginning? For instance, say the production of Chrono Crisis has already took its place, its just like me taking your "work" and recreating it into something that best suits my taste and criteria; the same applies here, and last time I check Akira Toriyama didn't collaborate with what seems to be teenagers, so it seems. The project itself is rife with original works from the original production team, although you say it's a "sequel", or so I believe it is. For those of you who fail to agree with me and feel the need to bash me since I lack a elitist title, don't bother; I stand by what I write and speak the truth from the get-go and also did my fair share of writing for the gaming industries. Just my input, take it and do what you want with it.

- LA Journalist
CV Times

You write like a teenager and have the common sense of a total dipshit.

"OH MY GOD! Some teenagers are making a fan game! They must not realize that their game isn't an actual sequel. I better go tell them that they're not creating an official game with the original creators, and that their work infringes copyright laws by deriving from another work without permission!"

Well, thank you CPT Obvious.

Whatever CV Times is, it must be complete bullshit with people like you writing for it.

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2007, 09:13:35 pm »

- LA Journalist
CV Times

Oh wow, I totally didn't realize that we weren't making a real sequel. So that's why I haven't been getting my paychecks in the mail. And here I've been telling off the postman every week.

For the record, I'd be honored to be considered a big enough fish by Square to get a C&D. Resurrection and Rebirth looked friggin amazing, so I'd take a C&D as saying we were looking "too good".

Why do we work on Crisis? Because it's fun. We are fans, and we also enjoy game design. So where another fan may draw a fanart, or write a fanfic, we make a fan game. It is fan service, because yeah--it's a fan game. For some reason, there's this opinion in the gamer community that fan fiction (and other fan works) are inherently wrong and stupid. That's flawed logic. Sure, there are loads of bad works out there (I've seen my share of horrendous fanfics), but there are also lots of fan works that are near pro-quality. Chrono Trigger Resurrection was amazing, there's the Chrono Trigger Novel Project (and they're actually hoping to get published)--all sorts of things. Awesome fan comics (VG Cats, 8-bit) and flash animations (Super Mario Bros. Z and the like). These are pieces that entertain people as well as remind them fondly of something they're a fan of, which is always interesting to a fan. I in particular like seeing different fanworks because you get to see all of the different speculations made by fans (the Compendium articles are the best for this). I don't think there's anything wrong with a fan work if you work hard on it, and are true to the work you're supposed to be honoring. It's also good for the companies (even if they might C&D it), because it generates new interest in a product that may have run its course, or is in between titles. There have been quite a few people who've joined the Crisis forums and then try to locate a copy of Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross because reading about Crisis makes them curious about the previous games.

Crisis is an awesome way to get practice for those of us who are working to learn to develop games because we do have to work alongside an established fanbase. Thus, we have to be prepared to receive wrath from said fanbase if we do something wrong. It makes writing and developing challenging, and thus, a lot more fun. It's also something we do because we enjoy the Chrono series and have a good time speculating. Neither Chains nor myself would ever expect our works to make their way into the official canon (that'd be insane), but instead are trying our darnedest to make sure we obey the canon as much as possible. (I would be honored if our works were considered "in line" with the canon. It'd at least mean that we all did our homework correctly) Yes, we DO advertise ourselves as a possible sequel or fan-sequel, but that's really just a fancy way of saying a "what-if" story.

And if we get C&Ded, well, as bad as it'd suck we could always tweak the game enough to where it'd be releasable, or we could just release the script as a fanfic (though it wouldn't read so good, you'd all at least see what we had planned). Really it doesn't bug me too much these days. I can always go back to working on DV. I'm not gonna stop working on Crisis just because of something that might happen.

And Zaperking--the post at the beginning of this topic isn't a really good way to gauge our current story either--like I said before, this was made over a year ago, and thus is obsolete. Plus there was a Compendium release a while ago that said that Lavos didn't affect evolution and whatnot, so we removed that from the script too. It wasn't a huge change, but I just didn't want you to judge the story on something so old. (And that sprite is HORRID! Urrrgh--he needs to come and edit this so Serge is updated) XD I probably should have Chains come and edit the first post since I can't. LOL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:19:17 pm by Lena Andreia »

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2007, 02:30:56 am »
Nice one. Ramsus pegged what I was thinking of commenting with. Heh.

Yeah... it'd suck to get a C&D, but at the same time be somewhat of an honor.

(and possibly a wake up call to S-E that they NEED to appease us with a new game so that we'll quit making our own - and hopefully make one that'll please any fan of the CT/CC spectrum; especially if Akira Toriyama does it)

*hopes and prays that Crisis will be completed long before S-E ever finds out about it*

LA Journalist

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2007, 03:35:58 pm »

"OH MY GOD! Some teenagers are making a fan game! They must not realize that their game isn't an actual sequel. I better go tell them that they're not creating an official game with the original creators, and that their work infringes copyright laws by deriving from another work without permission!"

Whatever CV Times is, it must be complete bullshit with people like you writing for it.

Common sense? Why yes of course. Like a "total dipshit"? No. Way to excessively exaggerate, at least you put it in simpler terms for the younger folks here. I find it quite comical how some of you feel superior, well self-satisfied, that the "projects" that you declare here are near perfect or exclusive to the point that the project itself is thrown aside the next minute; now talk about being egoistic, or pressured. ROM hacking and preoccupying yourself with your "Ultra 3000 RPG Maker" is all dandy and all, but that's not to say some (or more) of you still lack the understanding of the word determination. No one (including myself) here is trying to make you feel inferior to the "gaming world", only you yourself can accept the truth or the obvious; the time is ticking. For those of you who feel I'm stating the obvious - way to go, you just earned yourself a gold star! Really, last time I checked, it wasn't a crime for speaking your mind and posting it on a BBS, take it with a grain of salt; just don't be ill-tempered about it, or maybe I just came by on a wrong day? If this is expected to be the norm around here, then it's quite disappointing to say that the Chrono Compendium community is really lacking their fair share of hospitality; well I guess SE had their lunch break. Just some advice before I depart for the better good - take it easy, be yourself, have fun, and do what you love to do.

聞くことをありがとう。住み、学びなさい。楽しい時を過しなさい。

- LA Journalist

Mr. Molecule

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »
I don't get the gloom and doom over a possible C&D. I mean, why *were* Ressurrection and Rebirth C&D'ed?

Quote from: US Copyright Law
The fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
       2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
       3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
       4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Let's compare the 3d remakes with crisis with this handy dandy list:

1. I'm not certain if Resurrection was for profit--I've heard both. Let's assume it wasn't. Either way, Crisis surely isn't. (Right guys? :wink:)
2. This one's really vague, let's skip it.
3. Ok, here's a big difference between the two games. Crisis is borrowing a setting and some characters, but focusing on an entire new set of people. Resurrection was copying the entire game.
4. Here's the kicker. A 3D Chrono Trigger remake was, and is, a viable game for Square to make. Given that the graphics of Ressurection were superb, at least stndard quality for the time, and very likely a lot like Square Enix's possible graphics, this game could've cut a huge swath out of the market for a potential Square-Enix remake. Whereas the only thing Crisis can do is help the franchise. I mean, if Square-Enix does make a sequel, there're not gonna make it in RPG Maker. It won't be 2D. The markets for the games don't interesect; no one would play Crisis thinking it's a true sequel, & no one would download Crisis instead of paying for a sequel.

I'm pointing this out to say Crisis should put up a quixotic fight if they are C&D'ed or anything, just pointing out why Square Enix's lawyers have better things to do than write letters to the Crisis team. Crisis is not a threat. Really, the doom & gloomers seem like people who can't get over the C&D'ing of Resurrection & see the big Squeenix bogeyman behind every corner.

I'm also not belittling Crisis, which I find amazing in all regards, judging by what they've realeased so far. The production values are simply amazing, and the writing... "May our prayers for peace echo throughout eternity." SO CHRONO! Yesiree, this project will give me the Chrono fix I need until I can go out and buy (hopefully) Chrono Break and an entire new concole to play it on!

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
and the writing... "May our prayers for peace echo throughout eternity." SO CHRONO!

It's a direct quotation of an inscription on Nadia's Bell in Chrono Cross.

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2007, 07:30:47 pm »
ROM hacking and preoccupying yourself with your "Ultra 3000 RPG Maker" is all dandy and all, but that's not to say some (or more) of you still lack the understanding of the word determination. No one (including myself) here is trying to make you feel inferior to the "gaming world", only you yourself can accept the truth or the obvious; the time is ticking.

(n) determination, purpose: the quality of being determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose; "his determination showed in his every movement"

I think you're misunderstanding determination. The end result is completely beyond the point. If you're determined to scale Everest, but fail, does that make you any less determined than the person who made it? Chrono Trigger Ressurection was C&Ded, but does that mean that its creators didn't have determination in its creation? Absolutely not. Determination is measured in the individual footsteps, not the entire journey as a whole.

To quit without trying--that would be a lack of determination.

God, I sound like a self-help booklet. XD

Anyway, I'm done on that subject. I have a feeling I know who you are anyway, and posting here in the first place was a deviation from what I'd hoped to do when this day came. "LA Journalist", eh? It could just as easily be San Diego. And while I do respect your right for you to post your mind, you have to respect the fact that people won't always agree with you.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2007, 07:41:54 pm »
That's D R E A M, gentlemen. He popped up at Chrono Crisis's forums again (the ones he tried to subvert, along with these). Since a ghastly number of forumers at those forums seem to be indifferent to his return, I've called for his removal and have also banned that IP here.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/ChronoCrisis/index.php?showtopic=1980&st=30#entry3966497

I will echo here what I did there. On  behalf of the entire Chrono community, F-U-C-K D R E A M. There is no CV times, no Square Enix employer in Square Enix, and no person with that nickname to ever make an honorable or grammatically coherent post on these forums.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:43:34 pm by ZeaLitY »

Ramsus

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2007, 09:59:01 pm »

Common sense? Why yes of course. Like a "total dipshit"? No. Way to excessively exaggerate, at least you put it in simpler terms for the younger folks here. I find it quite comical how some of you feel superior, well self-satisfied, that the "projects" that you declare here are near perfect or exclusive to the point that the project itself is thrown aside the next minute; now talk about being egoistic, or pressured. ROM hacking and preoccupying yourself with your "Ultra 3000 RPG Maker" is all dandy and all, but that's not to say some (or more) of you still lack the understanding of the word determination. No one (including myself) here is trying to make you feel inferior to the "gaming world", only you yourself can accept the truth or the obvious; the time is ticking. For those of you who feel I'm stating the obvious - way to go, you just earned yourself a gold star! Really, last time I checked, it wasn't a crime for speaking your mind and posting it on a BBS, take it with a grain of salt; just don't be ill-tempered about it, or maybe I just came by on a wrong day? If this is expected to be the norm around here, then it's quite disappointing to say that the Chrono Compendium community is really lacking their fair share of hospitality; well I guess SE had their lunch break. Just some advice before I depart for the better good - take it easy, be yourself, have fun, and do what you love to do.

聞くことをありがとう。住み、学びなさい。楽しい時を過しなさい。

- LA Journalist

You're a total dipshit because you feel the need to talk to some kids having fun tinkering around with software and graphics as though they're a bunch of  handicapped retards trying to get into the next World Olympics and compete, when they have no intention of going to the Olympics. They just like doing what they're doing.

Not to mention the only reason for you to do that is just stroke your own inadequate feelings of superficial significance. "Oooh! Look at me, I'm higher up on the hierarchy of the gamer world!"

You're just some worthless fuck who pretends to write pointless shit about bloody fucking games and feels the need to seek out people to put down just to feel significant.

All I can say is fuck off and grow up. Maybe then I'll show you half a bit of the respect I show some of the other people here.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2007, 12:18:16 am »
Maybe then I'll show you half a bit of the respect I show some of the other people here.

Respect? For me? I, I feel, loved. :P

You know, I once had respect for D R E A M, he/she seemed to be a nice person. But I guess that's the internet for ya, you can completely lie to millions of people.