Author Topic: Chrono Crisis Story Update  (Read 13760 times)

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Chronologically Correct
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
Chrono Crisis Story Update
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:35:21 pm »
Got another update ready!

I figured it was about time we showed off some of the revised sprites. ALL of the sprites from CT (Main characters, sub characters, and misc. NPCs) are being redone in the new style, as you can see here:

And let's not forget the Cross characters:

We've also updated the menu a little more as you can see:

Soon I'll have pics of the individual parts of the menu, attack, techs, etc.

Luckily for you guys, the graphics are only icing on the cake. We've done a lot of work on the script lately to, so I hope you all enjoy this updated intro and story synopsis:

The Earth... She holds everything we know, everything that we can hope to understand.

She is marred with the scars of humanity, wounds from wars fought needlessly from era to era, dynasty to dynasty. I suppose it is natural to pray that time heals all wounds...But there are some things that even the long droning march of time cannot heal.

We learned that as children.

We witnessed the dreaded future sculpted by the entity known as Lavos, and gazed into the dying eyes of the people there... And saw nothing but bleak grey. Everything was grey.

It was if Lavos had taken even color from the people of the world... But why? Why was our Mother Earth under attack from this horrific monster? What was... Lavos? And why could it warp the minds of whomever approached it?

We tried to fight it...

We chased Lavos through time, doing everything we could to tip the scales of fate in our favor.

We risked everything for a future we could never hope to see.

In the end, we emerged victorious, saving the future, and ultimately, we hoped, ourselves.

It was such a long journey...

And we were so young... If we had only known that the evils of the world didn't end at Lavos...

If we had only seen the evils in our own kind...

If we had only realized that by saving one future, we were destroying our own...

But perhaps there is still hope... Perhaps, somewhere...

There are a new group of heroes who can set things right again. To finish what we began. To end it, eternally.

Safe and sound in his bed, a boy dreams of the future. But his dreams are becoming polluted by a growing shadow, a voice that beckons to him from the dark. Who are the shadows that dance before his mind? What fate is he destined for?

In the glittering metropolises of the future, the people cry for salvation. The answer lies in the hands of a deciever. His ambitions could bring either the end to a nightmare, or the beginning of a new and terrible dream...

A memory searches for its lost owner on a forgotten breeze. It flits between this world and the next, never remembering its name, but always recalling its sorrow. It stands now at the door of eternity, its fate tied with the world's.

These are the ripples of fate in motion. Let them take us to a world of serenity.

Story Synopsis:

~~~~ A.D. 1000 ~~~~
~~~~Nadia's Bell~~~~
May our prayers for peace
~ ring on for eternity...

It has been nearly one thousand years since the Heroes of Time left on their epic journey to save the past, present, and future from the entity known only as Lavos. And though they believed that their lives would go on happily in the new era of peace they had heralded with their journey, they soon found that they were wrong. War erupted five short years later, and the fates of the heroes were thrown to the winds. How could their futures be taken so violently? Had they truly saved the world?

A new set of heroes stepped forward in the ashes of their fates, discovering that Lavos had a plan sculpted for vengeance--a plan to devour all time. The heroes traveled across dimensions, eventually vanquishing the dread monster known as the Time Devourer. They went their seperate ways after that, the deminsions set right, their memories wiped clean of their journey. But in the instant before their seperation, they united under one hope--that the nightmare was over. That their world could finally rest.

But could it rest? What of the evil within men, the very evil planted by Lavos?

~~~~~

Xavier Ashtear had never considered himself special. Unpopular throughout his childhood at school, Xavier was often getting into fights and was constantly teased and rediculed for his tendancy to slip off into day dreams. The two bright spots in his life were his best friend, Matison, and his growing fame as a highly talented artist.

Little did he know that fate had something else in mind for him. Flung through time after a disaster at Guardia's 2000th anniversery celebration, Xavier soon discovered that history was gravely in error, and that the future was in horrible jepordy. With his friends at his side, Xavier swore to solve the mysteries of the past to unlock the secrets to saving the future. But what begins as a quest simply for an anwer soon evolves into much more... And Xavier begins to learn that time is a very delicate thing... And that sometimes, the answer is not as simple as it seemed...

~

Chrono Crisis is our answer to what may or may not have happened after Chrono Cross. Using various sources across the net, we are trying to keep the story as close to canon as possible, while still allowing ourselves to create and expand upon the Chrono universe. This is meant to be a final chapter--a culmination of the events portrayed in the games that we love. We're not claiming to be "the" sequel to Chrono Cross, but we fondly like to think that we may at least be able to provide some tenative answers to the larger questions in the series. This is a game purely for fans, by fans, and we will do our best to uphold the amazing story of the series.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:48:46 pm by Chains Of Fate »

Chrono fan

Re: Chrono Crisis Story Update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:37:09 pm »
This game looks like it is going to be badass and definitely will be played by myself...
I just learned of this game while looking for cheats for Chrono Trigger today.  At what percent completed would you say you are with Chrono Crisis, I definitely want to play it because I waited forever for a chrono sequel and never got it  8)  Hope to see it really soon

Tony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:39 pm »
I think that adding THAT MUCH of external material (the fans material) will compromise the fidelity to the original idea.

The original idea was about fate, about free will, about how we decide in which future we want to live, and how we manage to earn the possibility of choice, even if that means fighting an enormous alien parasite bug that crashed  on earth eons ago, lol.

But to me, that thing about "But could it rest? What of the evil within men, the very evil planted by Lavos?" won't do, why? because lavos didn't planted anything; Greed, violence, anger, etc. Where all there when he arrived, and blaming Lavos for it would deny a very important part of ourselves.

I think, that Chrono Cross was meant to clarify the message in Chrono Trigger, and to me that message was that our fate is not determined to be good or bad, but to be ours...

...So with that being said, I think that the game will represent a great effort from the fans, a really good one, but, at least to me, it will be aiming in a different direction than the Chrono serie.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:22:34 pm »
Chrono Cross heavily implies that man is inherently destructive because of Lavos.

Tony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 01:53:30 am »
Destructive isn't necessarily bad or evil. What is your point?

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:26 am »
Chrono Cross never shows the destructive nature in a way that would imply "good". I think this is well within the direction the Chrono series was taking us.

Anyway, how would that comprise the point of the games? It's about how we're not bound by fate, and we must learn to fight our destinies. This--apparently--is adding the layer of fighting our own nature. As long as the heroes are shown to do that, then it only reinforces what's been said.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 07:56:51 am »
Chrono Cross heavily implies that man is inherently destructive because of Lavos.
The Dragon God, i.e. the archenemy of mankind, claimed that man is inherently destructive because of Lavos.

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:13:36 pm »

The Dragon God, i.e. the archenemy of mankind, claimed that man is inherently destructive because of Lavos.

Right you are. Lavos did in fact create these emotions in mankind. The Kingdom of Zeal should be the perfect example. The Zealians under Lavos' influence are all cold, greedy, and selfish (in most cases), while the Earthbound are all pretty pure. Chrono Cross is a pretty big step in that direction, shown with the Porre army and their conquest of Guardia, among many other things. We'll be taking this even further, showing not only the downsides of Lavos' influence on humanity, but how his being erased from existence is almost even more horrifying.

Dave G

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 12:55:24 am »
Hey there. Just wanted to chime in with some constructive criticism on those sprites. I think Chrono, Lucca, and Serge are fantastic. Marle/Nadia, on the other hand, looks a tad strange. It seems to be missing the inherent prettiness of her original sprite (as much as a sprite can ve pretty, anyway). I dunno if it's the more poofy hair or that weird thing at her mouth area...

Maybe losing the ponytail entirely would work better? I dunno. Anyway, just my opinion. Great work on the progress you've made so far!

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 01:04:36 am »
 Thanks for the criticism, Lena says she's not too fond of Nadia's CT sprite and will be revamping it a bit, anyhow, after her computer is fixed in a few days. Also know that these sprites will only be used for flashbacks. If/when you meet them in Crisis, they would/will have brand new sprites.  8)

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 01:42:40 am »
Actually, Lena got right to work and produced this:

Which isn't her static pose, but the first of her walking. I personally think it looks much better, she definately looks slender and cute.

Tony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 01:49:47 am »

Right you are. Lavos did in fact create these emotions in mankind. The Kingdom of Zeal should be the perfect example. The Zealians under Lavos' influence are all cold, greedy, and selfish (in most cases), while the Earthbound are all pretty pure. Chrono Cross is a pretty big step in that direction, shown with the Porre army and their conquest of Guardia, among many other things. We'll be taking this even further, showing not only the downsides of Lavos' influence on humanity, but how his being erased from existence is almost even more horrifying.

Yeah, yeah, but also the Dragon God lies to make you break the seal, tries to destroy the humanity and etc. etc.  To me that's being evil. The dragon god and the Reptites, both in CT before Lavos arrives and after he arrives in CT and CC are evil.

About Zeal, there is Schala, who is good, and there are the Prophets who are also good, and also not everyone in Zeal is bad and selfish. Lavos is just raw power, and the rule is that often power changes people for bad.

The point I was trying to make is that Chrono Crisis is aiming towards good vs evil, heroes vs monsters, and etc. And just makes it black and white, which in real life isn't, not like CT and CC which aimed towards making the point that we rule our own fate. That is why i think it would compromise the point of the game.

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 02:02:11 am »
Yeah, yeah, but also the Dragon God lies to make you break the seal, tries to destroy the humanity and etc. etc.  To me that's being evil. The dragon god and the Reptites, both in CT before Lavos arrives and after he arrives in CT and CC are evil.

About Zeal, there is Schala, who is good, and there are the Prophets who are also good, and also not everyone in Zeal is bad and selfish. Lavos is just raw power, and the rule is that often power changes people for bad.

The point I was trying to make is that Chrono Crisis is aiming towards good vs evil, heroes vs monsters, and etc. And just makes it black and white, which in real life isn't, not like CT and CC which aimed towards making the point that we rule our own fate. That is why i think it would compromise the point of the game.

We're referring to humans, not Reptites or the Dragon God. Humans become evil as a result of Lavos, because they evolved because of him and were influenced by him. Again, not ALL humans are evil or whatever, only some, obviously.

I'm just not sure exactly what you're saying...what makes the story black and white? The intro and story synopsis I posted are just teasers, we have to be very careful to not reveal anything that will spoil the story. If you look at the teasers for CT and CC, they'll seem very black and white also.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:33:34 pm by Chains Of Fate »

Tony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 03:31:39 pm »

We're referring to humans, not Reptites or the Dragon God. Humans become evil as a result of Lavos, because they evolved because of him and were influenced by him. Again, not ALL humans are evil or whatever, only some, obviously.

I'm just not sure exactly what you're saying...what makes the story black and white? The intro and story synopsis I posted are just teasers, we have to be very careful to not reveal anything that will spoil the story. If you look at the teasers for CT and CC, they'll seem very black and white also.

Hmmm... .I think.... we have.... communication problems...

Anyway, it isn't that big deal, I'm really discouraged at the fact that we can't get to make the message clear... in my own lenguaje I'd say "Ya me dio hueva"... I would translate it to english so you could understand it but it seems there is no such thing.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 07:24:17 pm »
If I understand you, then you're saying that it's The Dragon God that says this about humans, and we can't really trust that wackjob. Right?