Author Topic: The Doom Sickle's Power  (Read 9892 times)

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 06:31:13 pm »
Quote from: XchrononetX
Anger and frustration are both emotions, and they are well expemplified by Magus Zeal. He also expressed fear, another emotion, for Schala, and even as a child expressed fear for himself when thrown into the time warp. Magus shows emotions quite readily enough, he just doesn't know it yet :). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Magus' role as the anti-hero, but you have to admit that he has shown emotions from time to time.
Also, I was just trying to prove that he didn't hate any of his former enemies like Frog or Crono and co. I was simply trying to disprove this, because I'm tired of people saying that there was indeed hatred, even though I didn't really think that was the point that you were trying to drive anyway. I just hear something similar, get on my soapbox, all because it reminds me of other things I've heard, horrible little habit of mine.

As Janus, Magus is already cold. Yes, he shows anger and fear as the child prince, but spending years with the Mystics has further deprived him of emotion. He no longer cares to hate, as I've said twice, with Lavos as the exception. So no, he does not hate Frog, Crono, or any other members of the party; he never did. Mayhaps he showed amusement with Frog--there are still exceptions to Magus's lack of emotion, although all are slight (except, as I repeat, Schala and Lavos). Yes, I already said he had emotions concerning Schala; I did not specifically mention fear, partly because it wasn't as important as love and I didn't want to ramble too much and also because I never really thought he was honestly afraid for Schala--worried, maybe, but not so much as to fear for her.

I wouldn't count amusement as much of an emotion, though, so my statement still stands: Magus has voided his emotions, save they be for Schala or Lavos. And, as with any such general statement, there are exceptions: few and small, but exceptions. Though, he still doesn't get really frustrated or angry at anyone but Lavos.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 06:56:00 pm »
He clearly doesn't hate Frog, and comes to respect him. For those that haven't seen the Frog vs. Magus ending, skip this quote if you want to get it for yourself:

Quote from: Magus
Except for you and I, this world is populated by cretins.

He says this to Frog, which, at least to me, implies a level of respect.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 10:56:03 pm »
Can't believe I forgot to site that quote when I could site one from the crap that was Radical Dreamers! Oh well. BTW, amusement is a side affect of Humor, another emotion, though Magus' humor is sick LOL.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 01:32:39 am »
...Radical Dreamers wasn't crap, it was quite engaging and a bit scary if played at 4 AM without any lighting.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 01:32:43 am »
By all means, quote Radical Dreamers. Here, I'll go first:

Quote from: Mick van Jovi
Heat cup....provolone...soccer mom!

Your turn.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2004, 04:14:46 pm »
Well, let's just say I didn't enjoy Radical Dreamers much, didn't mean to offend anyone who was a big fan of the game. Anyway:
"Get off your arse and make yourself useful, Serge!". I like that one :).

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 08:26:55 pm »

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 03:39:51 pm »
Wow, another novel... I'm starting to get discouraged, because I'm in the long and difficult process of writing my own, and may never finish before these other people. What, this has to be like, the sixth novel other than my own I've encountered up to this point. Ugh, I'm probably screwed...

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 07:30:50 pm »
This also has to be the fifth or sixth novel you've encountered at this point that's still stuck at the beginning of Chapter Two. Or that doesn't really plan to be comparable to any decent sort of novel in length or epic quality.  :lol:

Really, The Cheap Rip-Off Guide To The Galaxy has never been described as a novel, and is merely a parody fan-fiction of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, in which I struggle to be half the devoted satirist of absolutely nothing that Douglas Adams was.

As far as Into The Dream, well, that's yet another piece of fanfiction inspired with the Compendium.

XchrononetX

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 02:22:21 pm »
My novel sequel to CT was inspired by the kindness shown by some of my friends in the recent years, so I'm making it a point to do it right, because I owe it to them. It's dedicated to all my friends who have supported me through struggles.

Beever

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2004, 05:06:02 pm »
I think the DoomSickle's ability to empower Magus after the death of his comrades in battle is merely a game mechanic and would have been explained in a sidequest or some other way if the cause of the weapon's effect were anything other than a game mechanic.

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 09:54:32 pm »
I agree with Beever.  Although some weapons have something truly special about them (red katana give +2 to magic, which makes sense because Melchior forged it) other weapons just have extra abilities because its a GAME. It has to have those game elements, not all of it can but just story and not all of it has to be relevant to plot or character development.  Yes, I'm sure something special about the Rainbow gives it 70% hit rate, despite how Crono wields it..... See what I mean?

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 12:52:33 am »
There are a couple of threads I would direct you towards.  They offer both justification for our analyzations and a bit of warning about what I would best describe as metagame thinking.  Im not gonna be bothered by placing the links here, as I would prefer to continue with the discussion at hand.

This might be speculated on more appropriately if, say, Magus wielded the Doom Sickle in fighting Frog, but since you don't find the Doom Sickle until later, that's not a possibility

Anyways, as for the earlier statement regarding Magus not having access to the Doomsickle at the time of Frog's transformation; remember it is held in a Fortress held by Ozzie, a lieutenant of Magus.  Ozzie does not wield a weapon as far as I can tell, and a scythe would be beyond him.  Thus, I would imagine that Magus had access to the Sickle during the time he ruled the mystics.  Why would Ozzie hide such a powerful weapon from his lord and master?
Perhaps Ozzie had stolen the Doomsickle from Magus when Magus deserted the Mystics and the palace was being absorbed into time, taking the big guns as his gravyboat was sinking? It would make sense for Magus's minions to loot and plunder as they leave; after all, they are all villains to begin with.
Just something for you to mull over for those stories of yours.

I've always found it funny how objects are just left around in treasure chests in various RPGs.  Ozzie appeared to share that sense of humor, knowing no RPG adventurer would give up a treasure chest.
Trying to make sense of the Chaos is half the fun.

EscapeDummy

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 12:46:27 am »
I don't think it utilizes souls or has any amount of spiritual energy at all, much to the fact that it is the exact opposite of the Masamune, or any product of the red rock for that matter, because it doesn't cultivate dreams or a holy force, but constructs Doom when met with Doom.

I think that, right there, is the best example. It isn't a holy sickle, and neither does it draw power from the (souls) of your fallen comrades. Magus is fighting alone, "doomed", so the Sickle mirrors it.[/b]

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Doom Sickle's Power
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2004, 09:34:33 am »
Quote from: chronotriggerfreak
As Janus, Magus is already cold. Yes, he shows anger and fear as the child prince, but spending years with the Mystics has further deprived him of emotion.

I think the comparison is lost on me somehow...Where does Janus sound angry? Besides when you first can see him (for some reason I can't find that), these are all of Janus' lines in the game...

"Schala!!"
"The black wind..."
"What is it?"
"She's NOT our mother! She looks like mother, but inside she has changed."
"......Go away."
"Don't waste your time. Alfador only likes me."
"Hmph! Idiots...What will you do, Schala?"
"I think it's useless. Besides, if they escape, you'll be in trouble."
"Schala..."
"Stop!"
"What a filthy hovel."
"Schala!"
"SCHALA!!"
"B, but!?"
"S, Schalaaa!!"

And those last three were from the flashback...I don't think there's quite enough to judge much more of Janus than he's a little bratty prince-type. I wouldn't call it angry meself I guess?