Author Topic: EDIT: Attempting GFX hack  (Read 3582 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
EDIT: Attempting GFX hack
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:09:37 pm »
We may make a 1999 A.D., since we have 3 overworlds with no purpose right now. I experimented with the Blackbird tileset to try and make something remotely "town" like.

It still looks a little Spartan, and my tables and chairs are just inventive ways of using walls and ceilings. We'd have to rely on sprites to make things comfy like 1000 A.D., like cans, or the drinks on a serving tray sprite, etc. Another option is direct editing of the tileset. Perhaps if we could decompress it, we could change the vent / grate stuff we'll never use into chairs. They'd be blue chairs, but it's the future, so whatev.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:59:24 pm »
It is possible to insert a new tileset with a custom palette?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:38:03 pm »
It's difficult. Right now, the only people here who can do graphic hacks are the real three rom hackers. I never got past the "Find the sprite in Geiger's Sprite Viewer" stage, and I don't believe anyone else has tried to become proficient in it. But all you have to do is find the relevant packet of data, decompress it, edit and reinsert. I'm sure there are some special stipulations, probably relating to the way CT handles the tiles.

At any rate, it may be some time before we get to 1999 A.D. (our amazing rate of progress notwithstanding), so we'll have time to plan.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:27:55 am »
It's actually reminiscent of Solaris' upper-class houses from Xenogears (less evil and Big Brother-esque of course). The serving trays and soda cans will definitely make it more lively, I remember the serving tray sprite has vibrant colors. The Epoch seat sprite could even be used as a chair... facing down only though.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 03:12:36 pm »
We can't exactly make beds yet. The real annoying thing with this tileset is that you can't achieve solid blue walls. Those annoying yellow pipes / ventilation tiles / whatever occupy half of every tile.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 03:41:17 pm »
Things are held up right now while the plot's being made and we're waiting for someone to upload the ROM, so I'm going to try and edit the Blackbird tileset. Of course, finding it is the hard part.

252000   2CFEB1   GFX   Yes   No   Location Tiles   6/23/2003

So it's in there, starting on an unheadered rom at 251E00 (subtract $200 for the header)? Is there any way to use the data from Temporal Flux (e.g. the Blackbird's tileset is 1F) to locate exactly where it's stored? And one more question; are the location tiles stored as one, gigantic packet?

I tried decompressing 251E00, but got an empty file.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:28:33 am »
No, I think each tileset is split up into like, 4 different chunks each, but are usually right next to each other. I have the enemy graphics and most NPC locations noted, but tilesets I tried, but gave up (like over a year ago when I didn't try too hard :) ).

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: EDIT: Attempting GFX hack
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:11:05 pm »
Geiger switched to non-header for the Offsets Guide a long time ago.

Anyway, I'll track down the blackbird tileset later tonight.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:14:11 am »
Well, looking at the data it appears the Blackbird graphics packets are at these addresses (non-header, of course):

2C9C7F
2CA8B4
2FC1D3

Hope that helps.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 02:49:59 pm »
Now that we did something successful with King Zeal, we might be able to do the same thing with tilesets...

For now I'll just enjoy the demo for a while though and see that later :)

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 10:29:32 am »
Okay, there are about 50 free slots in the subtiles. We can definitely use them to have a less Spartan future. I tried to insert a bed from the 1,000 AD tileset and it works nicely. The palette will have to be tamed but the test is a success anyway (I feared the modification would glitch the whole tileset or something).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
Here's a better palette:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:49:49 am »
that looks GREAT

--jp

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 01:37:40 pm »
Damn, there will be a whole lot of tutorializing going on. Perhaps we should discuss what anemities we can give the future. Are you just taking tiles from other sets within Temporal Flux, or do you actually decompress and edit something to do this? If it is the latter, I guess we can add some new stuff.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 02:25:52 pm »
I decompressed 2FC1D3, which is just a part of the picture I awkwardly named "2FC1D3.png", and edited it like with the sprite graphics. I used the free slots for easiness but really everything can be modified (like those yellow pipes). Then in TF to make the extra stuff appears you must change the tiles's subtiles, which is easy since there are a lot of empty tiles.