Author Topic: Fanfiction graveyard.net?  (Read 870 times)

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Fanfiction graveyard.net?
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:02:16 pm »
I've seen reviews where people go there and they say all the stories are crapolla so here is how to begin the spring cleaning for those who are new and want to navigate/scroll through the pages with pleasure and with a compass.

What do you Compendiums  think/consider if Fanfiction.net finally made a site where they move all the old/dead stories that are on there to an archive server in order to clear out unwanted crap?

Including ones on Hiatus unless the author makes an update which then it will be moved back to the main server for everyone to see.    8)

I bet you the huge/number count story archives would be down by at least half then currently and this will just be the beginning of the spring cleaning. :shock:

IT'S PERFECT!!!  8) :D

Unfortunatly The Chrono Trigger/Cross section will be down/gone by more then half as most of the stories are either on hiatus or dead and then when the said authors decide to make an update the stories will be transferred back to the main site via archive staff/mods.

Right now the mods there are generally a joke and should not even be dealt with. :P  :( :picardno

If I knew a decent amount of HTML and had references to the staff there I'd try and do it myself but the people in charge are usually/mostly unreachable or act like robot mods when they are.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:18:49 pm by TriforceofEternity »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Fanfiction graveyard.net?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:12:04 pm »
The problem with this is it'd get rid of a lot of good stories, even if they are incomplete. Some of my favourite stories (the names of which I can't currently remember) never got completed. Having a story moved to archive would discourage an author from updating if they ever decided to take their story off hiatus, too.
fanfiction.net can tag stories complete or incomplete, though some old authors never came back after the update to tag their stories complete. If you know how to use the search feature to cut down the amount of results you get, it won't take that long to sift through results. It even says when the story was last updated, if you don't want to read anything old. An archive would just cause much more hassle than necessary.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:38 pm »
Sorry I even said anything then.  :(   So shoot me. :picardno

I was hoping it would work for someone with good reputation with the staff to contact them about the idea but let's get back to the harsh reality.

"Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain"

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:44:27 pm »

It's only natural for an author of a fan fiction series to feel discourages when their stories are either:

a) on hiatus (mostly because of creative slumps or writer's block)
b) when no one else comments them on it (not even for constructive criticism)

If seeing great fan fiction stories is what you want, then perhaps us authors of such stories need to get out of the slumps and off of our blocks and get back into the fray.

No need for archives or a graveyard of any sort.  Such an incentive could get at least a few of us back to work to tickling the fancy of the readers.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »
You'd achieve something more positive by convincing them to weed out the stories written by people who can't be bothered to use a spell checker or have their work read over by someone who passed elementary school English (and you generally don't have to read more than the opening paragraph to identify those, either). However, this would go against FFN's policy of posting whatever crap is submitted to them rather than exercising any actual editorial control.

(Yes, I'm one of those people nostalgic for the Good Old Days of small fan fiction archives whose content was actually checked by someone before it went up. However, like so many other things, those days are gone and will never return.)

I should note, however, that there's nothing to prevent an outside group from creating an index of the good stuff. There might be something to be said for a centrally located general listing of all good (or at least competently-written) CT and CC fanfic at large on the 'Net.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:49:32 pm »
So it sounds like making an archive won't encourage an author to return to their work.

Posted by: GenesisOne 
Insert Quote

It's only natural for an author of a fan fiction series to feel discourages when their stories are either:

a) on hiatus (mostly because of creative slumps or writer's block)
b) when no one else comments them on it (not even for constructive criticism)

If seeing great fan fiction stories is what you want, then perhaps us authors of such stories need to get out of the slumps and off of our blocks and get back into the fray.

No need for archives or a graveyard of any sort.  Such an incentive could get at least a few of us back to work to tickling the fancy of the readers.

What is the best tactics to encourage authors to return to their work without sounding like a know-it-all/demanding?

I've made the mistake of being a demander because I have been fed up with the system for so long now I just snapped and now I'll never get that author to finish her story.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »
Generally, your best bet is to drop the author a polite note asking if/why the story has been discontinued. If the answer is bad or no reviews/feedback, flattery may work: tell that author that you really enjoyed the story and that you would like to see it continued. Don't--don't ever--phrase anything in a way that might be remotely construed as a demand, because that almost always makes people angry. Gentle pleading may help, but don't be too pushy.

If the problem was lack of inspiration on the author's part, some other story jockeying for mindshare, or, even worse, Real Life pressures, then there's probably nothing at all you can do, although flattery may still encourage the author to take up the story again when the problem condition has passed off (if it ever does). Above all, be patient--the author doesn't control these things, either. Accept that some fanfics just never do get finished.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:45:30 am »
The thing with fanfiction writers is that some of them just write whatever comes to mind(which is why you get bad fanfiction).
Some of them do it for fan and don't take there work seriously, and lose interest in continuing there stories.
Some grow out of the fandom that inspired there stories. If a person does not wish to continue there fanfiction then nothing you do will convince them to continue there work.