Author Topic: On Cooking  (Read 2890 times)

ChibiBob

On Cooking
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:45 am »
Mm... Fishy chawdah and mushrooms...

-grabs drool bucket usually reserved for yaoi reading.-

It's a darn shame that the extent of my culinary ability is overcooked ramen. How I look forward to college and a roommate to slave over the hot microwave oven for me in, oh,  four or five months! :/

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
On Cooking
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 03:46:51 am »
Here's a little something from an American college student.  

A JP original:

Chanchghetti (Cheese Ranch sauce and spaghetti)

Boil up some noodles till they are soft
Throw some shredded cheese on top
Stick in microwave till cheese is melted
Put some ranch sauce on there

Eat.

I love ranch sauce, it's basically macaroni and cheese with ranch sauce

--jp

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
On Cooking
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 11:03:52 am »
Quote from: jsondag2
I love ranch sauce, it's basically macaroni and cheese with ranch sauce

Sounds delicious!

I was wondering, has anyone ever had cheeseburger pie?

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
On Cooking
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 12:57:12 pm »
I'm really happy to see people posting their own recipes.

My next contribution, Tortiere, is a French-Canadian meat pie.  You can use a standard pastry crust, but I prefer to use a more traditional biscuit dough crust.

TOURTIERE

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground pork
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 c water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp pepper
Pastry for 9" two crust pie

Procedure

1.  Put all ingredients except pastry into a saucepan and cook covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and liquid cooked down.

2.  Let meat filling cool before putting in pie plate. Put bottom crust in pie plate, spread mixture evenly and put on top crust. Trim and crimp edges. Slash to let out steam.

3.  Place in 400 degree oven until light brown, 25 to 30 minutes, depending on oven.

I usually have to bake the pies for 45 minutes, but my oven isn't very good.

TEA BISCUITS (for crust)

Ingredients

2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c pure lard
3/4 c milk
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Procedure

1.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening in until mixture has a find crumb texture. Stir in milk with a fork to make a soft dough.  Kneed 8 to 10 times.

Roll out the biscuit dough to make two 9 in. pie crusts.  It is actually easier to work with than pastry dough.

This is a traditional recipe to eat a Christmas, but it is good for any time of year.

Ramsus

On Cooking
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 07:09:32 pm »
Not much of a recipe, but cheap, tasty, and fairly easy:

Ingredients
  • A bag of tortilla chips
  • A pound or two of ground beef
  • Taco seasoning
  • Sour Cream
  • Grated cheese
  • A bag of salad
  • [/list:u]

Procedure
    • Cook the ground beef in a frying pan. Stir in the taco seasoning and some sour cream.
    • Mix cheese, salad, and tortilla chips in a big bowl (you might want to break up the tortilla chips first)
    • Mix in the cooked ground beef
    • Serve, usually with sour cream or some other topping

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
On Cooking
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 02:29:00 am »
Quote from: ChibiBob
Mm... Fishy chawdah and mushrooms...

-grabs drool bucket usually reserved for yaoi reading.-

It's a darn shame that the extent of my culinary ability is overcooked ramen. How I look forward to college and a roommate to slave over the hot microwave oven for me in, oh,  four or five months! :/

Hahaha. My roommates are always surpisingly helpfull when I share, but for a variety of reasons, we each in general fend for food on our own. Works out better for me than for the rest of them.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
On Cooking
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 06:08:21 am »
Since it's Passover, how about a hearty gefilte fish soup?

1 jar gefilte fish (regular or sweetened as preferred)
2 large carrot
1 medium celery
1 large white onion
2 small cans tomato juice, approx.
1 small can tomato sauce, optional
Black pepper
Dash of paprika

NOTE: You can find jarred gefilte fish in your grocery's ethnic section, usually close to the chow mein. They may have gefilte fish, or they may have something called "whitefish and pike." Try whichever one you think you will enjoy more. Also, it doesn't matter terribly if you get the stuff in liquid versus jellied broth. The jelly melts when you eat it hot. It will have a slightly thicker texture if you eat the soup cold.

Add the gefilte fish and broth to a crock pot, and cover in tomato juice. Maybe add a small can tomato sauce, for a little extra zing. If you didn't buy enough tomato juice, add water until the fish are completely covered. Add the veggies. Simmer 45 mins or until veggies are tender.

Hot, it makes a delicious soup course. Cold, it is wonderful as a stand-alone lunch.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
On Cooking
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 06:15:10 am »
Since its Passover, how about some...Matzas!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
On Cooking
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 11:11:06 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
Since its Passover, how about some...Matzas!

Matzoh is...well, I'm just glad it's only eaten once a year.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
On Cooking
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 11:36:32 pm »
Well, in our 2 great feasts, we eat a lot of red meat, so its all good  :P

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
On Cooking
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 02:35:15 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
Well, in our 2 great feasts, we eat a lot of red meat, so its all good  :P

Red meat is good. Here's a red meat recipe:

1lbs ground beef
1/4 bell pepper, cubed
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1/4 cup, chopped onion
3 white mushrooms

Soy sauce
Red wine
Pepper
Canola oil

Tortillias
Rice

Chop up the vegitables. Measures on ginger and onion are best guess, I usually just cut a slice and work from there. Scallions can be substituted for onions. I've used red, green, and yellow peppers in some combinations; any will do fine.

Heat up the oil in a large pan or wok. A piece of onion will let you know when the oil is hot enough. Throw in the veggies, and then add the meat. Grind some pepper over the mix and cook until the meat is starting to brown. Splash in some red wine. Sherry will work as well in this situation. If you want it spicy, now would be the time to add some chili paste with garlic or crushed red peppers. Be aware: Alcohol disolves the oil that gives food it's spiciness, so the timing of the additions can be fine tuned to give you just the right amount of spice.

Drain the oil/wine, and place some of the mixture with rice in a tortillia. Pour some soy sauce on there, wrap up the burrito, and enjoy!

One of the great things about that recipe is that it is incredibly versitile. This began with my dad just adding soy sauce to add flavor to some beef, and has grown and evolved from there. So you can add and subtract from the reciepe as you have availible veggies, or want variety.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: On Cooking
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 03:29:44 am »
A bit of thread necromancy:

I've been experimenting with achiote oil, urad dal, and quinoa to make a high protein vegan version of "Spanish Rice".  What I've come up with is actually pretty damn good.

Achiote oil is a deep red olive oil made by heating annato seeds (and other spices if you like) in extra virgin olive oil.  You can make yellow Spanish rice with it.  There are a lot of recipes for it around the internet, and one is just as good as any other.  It's hard to get wrong, so if you are food-geeky enough to try it I highly recommend it.

Urad dal are black lentils which have been peeled so that only the white part remains, much like brown rice is peeled to make white rice.  They are a good high-protein substitute for rice.  They are also known as "white lentils" which I feel is a bit misleading.  I think that they should be called "peeled lentils".

Quote from: Spanish Urad Dal with Quinoa
Ingredients:
1 cup urad dal
1/2 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon achote oil
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup frozen sweet corn
paprika
powdered garlic
salt to taste

Preparation:

Rinse urad dal and quinoa with cold water and drain through a mesh strainer.  Skip this step if a mesh strainer is not available.  Add urad dal and quinoa to a pot with a lid along with 2.75 cups water if they are not rinsed, or 2.5 cups water if they are.rinsed.  Add 1 tablespoon achiote oil (or olive oil) to the pot, cover, and simmer for at least half an hour.

In a separate skillet, add the can of diced tomatoes and chilies, and cook that on medium heat until the excess water is almost completely evaporated.  While the water is evaporating, add 1/8 teaspoon paprika, and 1/8 teaspoon powdered garlic and stir.  Once the water has evaporated, add the rinsed black beans and sweet corn, and cook those along with the tomatoes and chilies on low heat until the quinoa and lentils are done cooking.  If the mixture in the skillet gets too dry, remove from heat.

When the quinoa and lentils are done, add to them the contents of the second skillet, stir, and salt the mixture to taste.

I wish I had a picture to show here, because the dish looks really good.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:46 am »
Not much of a recipe, but cheap, tasty, and fairly easy:

Ingredients
  • A bag of tortilla chips
  • A pound or two of ground beef
  • Taco seasoning
  • Sour Cream
  • Grated cheese
  • A bag of salad

Procedure
    • Cook the ground beef in a frying pan. Stir in the taco seasoning and some sour cream.
    • Mix cheese, salad, and tortilla chips in a big bowl (you might want to break up the tortilla chips first)
    • Mix in the cooked ground beef
    • Serve, usually with sour cream or some other topping

Ramsus, we may have disagreed in the past (I changed my name from addiesin), but when it comes to food, it looks like we're on the same page. I want to make this right now.[/list][/list]

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 11:09:18 pm »
Ramsus, we may have disagreed in the past (I changed my name from addiesin), but when it comes to food, it looks like we're on the same page. I want to make this right now.

Sorry, but you have to have a distinctly strong and highly vitriolic ideological rivalry with someone that's spanned years before it becomes appropriate to say something like that. Otherwise it just sounds silly. Look up all the real arguments and debates I had with LJ some years ago as an example of what I mean.

And to be honest, I barely even notice your presence on the forums. Enjoy the Taco Salad though. It's sort of a devolved recipe from a distant relative who married a nice Mexican girl a long time ago.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
Ramsus, we may have disagreed in the past (I changed my name from addiesin), but when it comes to food, it looks like we're on the same page. I want to make this right now.

Sorry, but you have to have a distinctly strong and highly vitriolic ideological rivalry with someone that's spanned years before it becomes appropriate to say something like that. Otherwise it just sounds silly. Look up all the real arguments and debates I had with LJ some years ago as an example of what I mean.

And to be honest, I barely even notice your presence on the forums. Enjoy the Taco Salad though. It's sort of a devolved recipe from a distant relative who married a nice Mexican girl a long time ago.

See, that proves my point. We disagree, except when it comes to food.   :lol:

edit (btw it was supposed to sound light-hearted, but silly is fine too. either way, it should indicate no hard feelings.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:28:53 pm by Mr Bekkler »