Poll

The Religious Right believes unborn humans deserve equal treatment under the law. Therefore, should the hostile attack on a mother's body by a fetus be treated as aggravated assault, or attempted murder?

Aggravated assault.
1 (7.7%)
Attempted murder.
1 (7.7%)
Maybe the Religious Right should stop trying to make the law of the land and start making apple pies.
11 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 06, 2006, 02:29:37 am

Author Topic: Perhaps Why Pregnancy Is So Dangerous  (Read 4907 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Perhaps Why Pregnancy Is So Dangerous
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 03:21:11 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Then you need a pill.

Just because the Democrats are not as influenced by the religious zealots in this country doesn't mean that they have the solutions to all of America's problems.

Both the Democrats and the Republicans have ideological problems. The current one party system must stop if things in this country are going to get better. And no, I am not refering to the current overrepresentation of Republicans in the federal government.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 03:26:26 am »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Quote from: Lord J esq
Then you need a pill.

Just because the Democrats are not as influenced by the religious zealots in this country doesn't mean that they have the solutions to all of America's problems.

Both the Democrats and the Republicans have ideological problems. The current one party system must stop if things in this country are going to get better. And no, I am not refering to the current overrepresentation of Republicans in the federal government.

I am familiar with your libertarian bent. This common theme you guys have of lumping together Dems with GOPs is forced and unrepresentative of the identities of either party. I will agree with you that the US needs more viable parties, but this whole "Republicrat" meme is not sincere.

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 03:28:40 am »
I'm all for genuine political debate (and plenty of Republican bashing), but the hypothesis Lord is running with is absurd.

I mean, if there is a point, it should be that women in pregnancy should actually be given credit for the strain and labor involved, and that they should perhaps be entitled to certain resources to make sure both the fetus/baby and mother can properly withstand and recover from the ordeal.

It's just how I see it.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 03:32:04 am »
Either you are missing the point, or there is no point. Honestly! Satire is dead.

Maelstrom

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 03:54:53 am »
It died when you created a second thread on abortion, and when you assumed that a fetus/unborn (who never has a say into whether the pregnancy started in the first place) could possibly be held to the same standard as a woman or an older girl that typically makes the decision to either go for it or roll the dice.

It's not satire; it's propoganda.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 04:32:50 am »
Quote from: Maelstrom
It died when you created a second thread on abortion, and when you assumed that a fetus/unborn (who never had a say into whether being brought into existence) could possibly be held to the same standard as a woman or an older girl.

You are missing the point, then. It isn't my belief that the unborn ought to be treated equally with human children and adults. This is the belief of those religious nutjobs who insist that a fetus (or embryo, or blastocyst) is "a human life" deserving of the protections and entitlements typically afforded to human beings. Abortion is wrong, these people say, because it entails the murder of a human being. Well, if fetuses are people too, and deserve equal treatment under the law, then by God let's give it to them! But of course Dr. Haig's research gives us pause: Fetuses have evolved mechanisms for satisfying themselves that would ravage or kill their mothers--and often do. This is some kind of assault. Biologically speaking, it is the price of pregnancy. Easy. Case closed. But if fetuses have this equal treatment under the law, then they are bound by the law like everyone else, and so their very existence is a crime.

Is this not absurd to you, or are you an example of a liberal who is way out of his depth in explaining why he believes what he does? I do not suffer fools, which is why I hate dealing with liberals who are as shallow as anyone from the other side.

Quote from: Maelstrom
It's not satire; it's propoganda.

No. What I say is true, or at least I make every effort to see my words in that direction. What I say herein is rhetoric; it is satire; it is sincere disgust with the idiocy of the Religious Right; and genuine fascination with the scientific discoveries detailed in the news article at the top of this thread--which you either did not read or did not read critically. But propaganda it is not. Propaganda is not the way I operate.  This is liberal propaganda. Your clumsy use of the word has muddled its meaning; I wonder if you even could define it yourself. The only thing "absurd" going on here is that religious fundamentalists are walking this country backward in time.

And, Inspector, if you ever want to speak more knowledgeably than such generalizations as that, you will have to put your neurons to harder work.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 04:36:35 am »
Unless I misread your post, you just called everyone who exists on the opposite end of the political spectrum from you "shallow" and "foolish".

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 04:39:03 am »
Quote from: GreenGannon
Unless I misread your post, you just called everyone who exists on the opposite end of the political spectrum from you "shallow" and "foolish".

And most of the ones on this side, too.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 04:57:15 am »
Lord J, do you have a girlfriend?

No, really I'm curious.  I've noticed that people who obsess about things or points that they’ve stated and proven over and over again -- especially on internet forums -- rarely have girlfriends (or boyfriends, if the case may be).  I'm curious to see if that pattern persists in this case.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 05:13:14 am »
Quote from: Silvercry
Lord J, do you have a girlfriend?

No, really I'm curious.  I've noticed that people who obsess about things or points that they’ve stated and proven over and over again -- especially on internet forums -- rarely have girlfriends (or boyfriends, if the case may be).  I'm curious to see if that pattern persists in this case.

What a strange question. How does that have anything to do with what's up here? "Really," I am curious to see what you're trying to get at.

This board has been too quiet lately, and I wanted some activity. As it happened, I had read this interesting news article, so I posted it here. I added the poll because I like to attach polls that people can have some fun with.

Whether or not I have a wife or girlfriend or boyfriend is irrelevant, but I'd like to hear why you think it is.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 05:24:56 am »
Didn’t say it was relevant.  Wasn't trying to insinuate it either.  Like I said, I was only curious.  I like testing my own observations of human behavior every once in a while.  I find it entertaining when I'm forced to re-think my perceptions, and affirming when I'm proven right.  Either way, its win-win for me.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 05:29:02 am »
The least you could do is answer his question instead of avoiding it.

And while the point is understood on my end of the spectrum, and frankly agreed with, I do agree that you're appearing very aggresive and viper-like with issues these days. More hostile than the Josh I remember.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 05:44:58 am »
Quote from: Silvercry
Didn’t say it was relevant.  Wasn't trying to insinuate it either.  Like I said, I was only curious.  I like testing my own observations of human behavior every once in a while.  I find it entertaining when I'm forced to re-think my perceptions, and affirming when I'm proven right.  Either way, its win-win for me.

Yes, I have a girlfriend. But for the majority of my history on the Compendium, I have not. And the only way my being in a relationship affects my behavior here, is that I post less often.

If your remarks are sincere, then in kindred fashion I will divulge a little more than you asked: I am a happier and less caustic person than I probably appear to be to those who only read my posts here. General Discussion is one of the places I go for mindless recreation. At the same time this evening, I have been soaking in the full music of Les Misérables (yet again), as well as doing some fiction and a little misuigded composing, reading the news and various blogs, picking over a rather ordinary dinner, and chatting with a couple of friends on AIM. The Compendium is a place for me to have some less structured diversion. What drives me is a healthy disgust for ignorance, as well as a little guilty pleasure in terms of having some sport with people who have ridiculous opinions and no intellectual gravitas to back them up. Even if the joke is lost on everybody else, I have a good time here. Not to say that I do not respect a number of the people here to one degree or another, but this very thread is an example of how much numbskullery abounds. (And notice: What do any of the posts here have to do with my original topic post?)

Now hopefully your curiosity has been satisfied. I would never disparage genuine curiosity, but, next time, take it to the PM. Asking people if they have romance in their lives is always a loaded question in contexts such as yours, whether intentional or not. It isn't fair to my friend that I should have to ever invoke her to defend or explain myself in the company of those who know little of me and nothing of her.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 05:49:41 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
The least you could do is answer his question instead of avoiding it.

It was a dubious question asked in inappropriate circumstances.

Quote from: Mystik3eb
And while the point is understood on my end of the spectrum, and frankly agreed with, I do agree that you're appearing very aggresive and viper-like with issues these days. More hostile than the Josh I remember.

I admit to being particularly disappointed by the utter lack of interesting discussion that resulted from my global warming thread. This is perhaps a personal failing of mine: When my respect for people diminishes, so too does my tolerance. That makes it easier for me to be what you call a "viper." I'd probably just drift away from this place entirely, but for the intercession of other, less obvious reasons. And, so long as I am here, I may as well contribute to the community. I may not have many admirers here, if any, but I see a lot of inactivity in this place, and I think most people would rather spar with "that idiot Josh" than not have anything to talk about at all.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:51 am »
I demand the death penalty for those murdering fetuses!

Oh, wait...