Author Topic: Writing pet peeves  (Read 6041 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 07:25:34 am »
Quote from: Tonjevic
Chinese people who live in Australia. These are people of Chinese descent, but speak english perfectly well. I think...

Hehe, good one. They were all born in Australia...well, most of them.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 11:13:36 am »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
Quote from: Magus22
yea the list is good

no prob here

Writing styles like this.  No capitalization, punctuation, and feeling the need to double space between every sentence (aka no paragraphs).

Oh come on Dewey.

Is this better?

As long as the reader understands exactly what the poster has typed, then by all means, it's OK

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
* People who can't evolve beyond simple sentences. (I except younger folks who are still learning.)

I disagree with this, because there are also people(like me) who are no "first-grade schoolkids" and still learn this language. It's just not that easy to form a perfect post, even if you've time to look over it again, nor is it "fair" to expect everybody to be high educated, because not all are.
"Simple sentence" is to be interpreted itself, but I myself prefer them for easier understanding. Yet I also agree that for more intelligent people it might be too primitive.
Everyone should try his best to type grammatically correct and all, but nobody is perfect.

And yes, I still don't know how to quote properly :roll:

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 11:51:42 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
* People who confuse your/you're, its/it's, and there/their/they're. I can't stand it. They can't get these right for the life of them. I even see this stuff in newspaper articles and official literature nowadays. It's crazy.

Forgivable on forums or in chat-speak, where apparently the rules if the English language are as a flexible as a double-jointed Gumby.  But of I'm reading a fanfic, or original fiction, making the above errors consistently is the best way to get me to give up on your story.  Never mind articles or official literature.  If the writer, beta-reader/editor and publisher can't be bothered to catch this middle-school level error, I can't be bothred to read the result.

Quote from: AuraTwilight
Or the people who think it's cool to use japanese words and suffixes in the middle of an english conversation. Japanese language is not a bunch of buzzwords! Either speak English or speak Japanese. If you go "Omg you are KAWAIII ^____^" I will fucking stab you with a damn fork. In the FACE!

You know, for some reason, this doesn’t bother me too much.  Maybe because I've read too many Amazones Duo fics when I first started to really read fan fiction on the internet.   But what does bug me is when a fanfic writer will use The English and Japanese character names interchangeably in a peace of work.  Her name is either Tomoyo Daidouji or Madison Taylor .  Its is not Madison Daidouji or any other combination thereof.  Pick one and run with it.

Overly "flowery" speech/descriptions.  The only thing worse than reading a story with no description is reading one where once must decipher the descriptions.  Some writers feel a need to attempt a positive Shakespearian level of metaphor and over-the-top imagery to get across a remarkably simple idea.  And I have yet to read anyone other that Shakespeare get it right.  Vladimir Nabokov's novel Lolita is a prefect example of this.  Its an engaging read, but Comdrade Nabokov's style occasionally buries me in so many euphemisms that when Humbert finally got around to bedding Lolita, I totally missed it the first time and had to go back and re-read the last chapter.  Given the style of the narrative, I knew going in that the act wouldn’t be done a harlequin-novel style play-by-play, but I didn’t except to miss it entirely, especially when I knew it was coming.

Self inserts or Gary/Mary Stus.  To date I've only seen two authors pull SI's off with any degree of believability or likeability: J.K. Rowling 's Hermione Granger, (Harry Potter) and Stephen King's... Stephen King (The Dark Tower).  If you aren’t these two people, don't bother.  You will get it wrong.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 01:54:50 pm »
Quote from: Magus22

Oh come on Dewey.

Is this better?

As long as the reader understands exactly what the poster has typed, then by all means, it's OK

There's no official rules on the internet about what's "ok",

its a peeve of mine.  

If it's ok by you, there's nothing I can do about it.  

My main peeve is still the spacing between every setence.

It takes up lots of room.

It also suggests that the poster has lots of unrelated thoughts that wouldn't fit together in a paragraph.

Although, it is "better" in the sense that you did at least capitalize and use some punctuation.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 03:54:44 pm »
Self inserts or Gary/Mary Stus. To date I've only seen two authors pull SI's off with any degree of believability or likeability: J.K. Rowling 's Hermione Granger, (Harry Potter) and Stephen King's... Stephen King (The Dark Tower). If you aren’t these two people, don't bother. You will get it wrong.

I would agree, but I did a self insert once and it was actually pretty good :P Nothing screams "A character with proper flaws" like a false Messiah smashing his legs with a hammer to get people to stop worshipping him as a perfect being ^^

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 03:57:50 pm »
Quote from: CyberSarkany
* People who can't evolve beyond simple sentences. (I except younger folks who are still learning.)

I disagree with this, because there are also people(like me) who are no "first-grade schoolkids" and still learn this language. It's just not that easy to form a perfect post, even if you've time to look over it again, nor is it "fair" to expect everybody to be high educated, because not all are.
"Simple sentence" is to be interpreted itself, but I myself prefer them for easier understanding. Yet I also agree that for more intelligent people it might be too primitive.
Everyone should try his best to type grammatically correct and all, but nobody is perfect.

And yes, I still don't know how to quote properly :roll:

As long as you don't do it in German or whatever language you speak, then I guess it's ok.

To quote with the persons name, you make it:
Quote from: *insert name here*
[/quo te] (remove the space inbetween quo te)

Nice work Dewey. Irony.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 05:19:04 pm »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
There's no official rules on the internet about what's "ok",

its a peeve of mine.  

If it's ok by you, there's nothing I can do about it.  

My main peeve is still the spacing between every setence.

It takes up lots of room.

It also suggests that the poster has lots of unrelated thoughts that wouldn't fit together in a paragraph.

Although, it is "better" in the sense that you did at least capitalize and use some punctuation.

hee hee

Well I'll try to keep all of this in mind for future posts :)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 05:24:18 am »
So, when are you going to start?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 11:15:25 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
So, when are you going to start?

Time will tell :wink:

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 12:28:26 pm »
When it comes to written debates, I try to leave a space between each specific point I try and make. Even if it does take up a lot of space, it makes it a lot easier to read.

On another note, my pet peeve? When people don't use enough spaces so the post looks like one behemoth of a paragraph.

Daniel Krispin

Writing pet peeves
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 04:18:28 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon
When it comes to written debates, I try to leave a space between each specific point I try and make. Even if it does take up a lot of space, it makes it a lot easier to read.

On another note, my pet peeve? When people don't use enough spaces so the post looks like one behemoth of a paragraph.

Ie. someone like me. I really have to watch that.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 04:29:12 pm »
Most likely when people try post on message boards using "leet speak." I can understand it if you're in an instant-messaging situation if you're a slow-ish typer, but there's really no time bar for posting something >_O.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 10:54:51 pm »
Quote from: saridon
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
The PC apps on mac interests me more. As we all know from out favourite site Joystiq, Half Life 2 can be downloaded, run smoothly and played, all on the new Intel Macs.

the intels only reach their full potential if you have 2 hardrives one with the Mac OS and one with windows (i think the hackers have made a patch for it  now so it dosnt use the thing the intels didnt handle which was the only thing stopping the OS from running on it)

No full stops or any punctuation at that.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Writing pet peeves
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2006, 12:26:25 am »
You can't apply the rules of "AIMing" to message boards.  The point of "instant messaging" is for quick chatting purposes, where a majority of the talking takes place in a single sentence at most, and sentence fragments in a large part of it.  Making everything grammatically correct and punctually accurate is pointless, and takes away from the experience.  However, on message boards, the point is to make a large, coherent though.  People aren't able to read something that isn't structurally organized.