Author Topic: Known Bugs & Beta Testing  (Read 42810 times)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Known Bugs & Beta Testing
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:38:21 pm »

Use bug submission form if possible please
http://jpsondag.com/SubmitBug.aspx

.....This is JP i'm 99% sure I didn't make the post below....even though the forum says I made it....Um.....I guess I'll keep it incase it's important...

Keep quiet about what's going on, and handle public relations through interviews or "press" releases

This includes plot, advancements made in technology (such as managing to implement the MP3 support I've discussed in another thread, or if we manage to implement Schala as a PC), etc.  This forum is closed off for a reason.  While I will intentionally leak VERY small hints at something in a setting other than a press release, I should be the only one doing the leaking.  Cool?  Good.  Moving on...

-Be ruthless and unforgiving when beta testing

You know those games where you play them intentionally the wrong way just to see if you can break them?  Go where you're not supposed to.  You'll know what (not) to do.

-Explore every possible opportunity available

While this goes hand-in-hand with what I mentioned above, it needs to be underscored.  Every time the game turns your Explore Mode on, get out of wherever you are so you don't trigger the next event, and go explore the whole world that's available to you.  Does an town NPC say something that should be changed in the context of where the storyline is at this time?  When you exit and re-enter the area where the storyline is taking place, does the storyline start up as if you had never been in the room before?  (In other words, do certain events repeat?)

-Publicize on the forum and subject to peer review every development, to include any modifications to the ROM or alterations to the plot, to ensure the entire project is a collective effort and not a fragmented tug of war.

There are a multitude of reasons for this.  One of the foremost, as I just stated above, is to keep everyone moving in the same direction.  Another major reason for this policy is because we do have a limited amount of space in which to convey our vision of Chrono Break.  Therefore, we will need to watch out for unnecessary maps and areas.  If we keep those to a minimum, we won't have to reduce the size of a major dungeon or anything like that.

Master list of Known Bugs

Known Bugs

Bad Glitches

Decision Making

Rom Hacking

Simple Coding

- savepoint singing mountain: it displays "dark ages" when saved

-Magus HardCoded Names in last village

- Medina Square: it plays "Delightful Spekkio" normally, but if you go into the switch screen and back it plays the Ocean Palace music. (Edit: I remember now, that wasn't the Ocean Palace music, it was something else that plays in Zeal. Anyway, this seems to be affected by the music in the last non-overworld location you've been to. I went to the labyrinth, returned and got the Zeal Palace music, then went to Manoria Cathedral, and got the church/temple music in Medina Square. Quite possibly the "Singing Mountain" occurrence was here too.) I'm fairly sure this happened somewhere else with the "Singing Mountain" song, but I can't remember where.

- On some levels of Denadoro (the "sunlit" ones), some tiles are too light.

-"Such strange clothes" a comment about Magus on his chapter. Isn't his clother normal for zealians? In which case they would know very well why style of clothes it was.

Harder Coding

Music

Mapping:

-In the aftermath of Zeal, all the houses are named "Last Villiage" in the East. Maybe a more fitting name for the first resettlements?

Directing:

-Make it more obvious that the reason they go Chronopolis the second time is because they want to visit.  Through Lucca Dialogues/Having Robo want them to come/Dialogue after Porre meeting.
-Run through text/clean up
-Run through cutscenes/clean up
-The communication device should be something that can be used even if Lucca isn't in party
-Lucca spends a long time explaining WHY they should be running instead of doing it... maybe the egg should go off THEN Lucca expalins what the heck just happened.
-Toma's assistant, "I too have a son named Ash" needs re-writing.
-"What are you doing with all that wood, why don't you research steam power..."
Doesn't steam require LOTS of fire, and thus lots of wood (seeing as magic and gas are out of the question).

--jp

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:39:32 am by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Countdown to Demo 2.0
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:15:43 pm »
I just wanted to say that I will be getting to the bugs atleast by this weekend.  Kingdom Hearts II came out and I played it for......well longer than I care to say.  None of the error seem like they'll take to long to do so I'm not worried.

UPDATE:  So before now I haven't been able to do work in work because I didn' thave an admin password.  But I remembered a long time ago I was given a temp password because we had to install new software on machines, I checked and it worked.  I now have .net 2.0 on this machine so I can do work here.

yay

--jp

DivineDragoonKain

Countdown to Demo 2.0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 03:54:16 pm »
Hey, Json... can you update me next time you're on AIM? Just got my laptop back, so I'm back again.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Countdown to Demo 2.0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 05:25:12 pm »
NOTES

Prologue

-Start off the adventure with an evening at the Millennial Fair
-Make more animations to liven up the Porre meeting, which is pretty damn dull
-Add a small chase through Zenan Bridge; Lucca stops midway and notes that she shouldn't be jostling this prototype Time Egg around, and pulls it out; the Porre guy comes back and takes it and keeps running away
-Once they get to Denadoro, instead of artillery, have them catch up; Lucca pulls out her gun and shoots the guy, but it sets off the Time Egg
-Guy flees, they step over to the ruptured prototype, which envelops them in a Gate (does this not sound a little more realistic?)

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:56:18 pm »
oooh that sounds lovely and lively, gives the game more flavor :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:22:04 pm »
NOTES PART TWO

-After all the events are taken care of, we need to place a priority bugtest on maps so we can tweak appearances. It's too hard for general coders and bulk mappers to get every single tile working in an early development phase, simply because events and map usage is still volatile. We'll do this right before we release.
-Magus needs to do something else before Dalton crashes the party. In my latest patch, I fixed up a bunch of text that occurs before he comes along. My idea is that when you first talk to the Elder, he'll cough a couple times and someone will ask you to go ask Sargon if he'll allow his healing square to be used for Last Village. Magus will go to Sargon's house and the player will see new 12000 B.C., and the scene with Sargon getting intimidated will occur. But as soon as you get back to the commons and tell the Elder that you and Sargon have reached an understanding, Dalton then comes.
-There's a small subplot we can do with the North Cape. I have some guy on the Commons asking about a Jade Orb; it's a nice little trinket from Zeal. Well, let's make it a special item treasure in Zeal Palace. If you take it to him, he'll give you a Glass Rose, an ornament that used to adorn Schala's room before the fall. The game will give you a hint to go to the North cape; if you go there, you'll see a special scene where Magus reminisces about Schala. But it has to be done before she is rescued later in the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:23:58 pm by ZeaLitY »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 08:44:52 pm »
solved the lava problem.  Comparing the map properties of heckran cave with ours it turns out the "unknown 1.70" must be disable layer 3 or something.  Set it to 0 and lava appears.  Oh yea you still have to have "layer 2" underneath it.   Ta da!

--jp
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:54:41 pm by jsondag2 »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 08:00:23 pm »
Okay, forgive me if this is a little out of place, but I was writing today, and I tried writing some CE dialogue. Now, I'm not 100% up on the plot, but Magus/Janus chases Dalton down, fights and kills him, right? Well, if that's so, I put together some suggested dialgogue, as it were:

Janus: So... you survived your own Golem’s power. Impressive. I thought far less of you. But you’ll find me a more difficult foe.
Dalton: H...how did you know about that?
Janus: Nevermind.
Dalton: Janus, you brat! I’d hardly have recognized you.
Janus: Hard years do such things to a man.
Dalton: Really! Well, you’re nothing special - some prince of Zeal. Your forefathers would have banished the likes of you. For the royal line to have fallen so far... it makes me laugh.
Janus: And you fared better?
Dalton: Silence! I am king over everyone that’s left. What do you have, kid?
Janus: Than shall we?
Dalton: It’ll be my pleasure to see you gobbled by my Golem. Ha!
(Fights Dalton)
Janus: Your Golem appears to have failed you.
Dalton: N...no!
Janus: I’d have you beg for mercy, but you know I wouldn’t spare you, Dalton.
Dalton: Haven’t you done worse? Look at yourself: you’re no better than me, I’m sure of it.
Janus: What of it? I’ve survived, I’ve persevered. And victory justifies a man.
Dalton: You’ve no remorse - you’ve no mercy?
Janus: Even as you, no: but for a different cause. I am fortune’s right hand, and have gained little for my suffering - all I did was for a cause. You only ever acted for yourself, and those vain moments of glory were your reward. You are a fool content in his foolishness, and will die in it.
Dalton: Mercy!
Janus: To you, lord Dalton, never.             
Dalton: I hope you die begging like me.
Janus: I have no doubt that I will answer for my crimes in some way. But as death does not frighten me, I will face it fearlessly.
Dalton: Curse you!
Janus: Little need: I already am.
(Kills Dalton)
Janus: Requiem in infernum. I never liked you anyway.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:42:52 pm »
Ooh, owned.  I like it.  Maybe a few tweaks to be done, but I love it.

"Requiem in infernum.  I never liked you anyway."

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 12:23:26 am »
"Requiem in infernum" Just doesn't sound Chrono Trigger to me.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:00:31 am »
"Requiem in infernum" Just doesn't sound Chrono Trigger to me.

True. But this isn't CT, wholly. It ties in between Trigger and Cross. And remember Miguel? He says 'Res Nullis'; and Belthesar and Guile both use the term Angelus Errare. Anyway, I thought of it just on the side, a sort of debasement of the standard Requiem in Pace.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:11 pm »
Note that we should probably make the Sargon visit conditional, so players can't go threaten Sargon before talking to the Elder (that'd be cnofusing).

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 08:12:09 pm »
Do you think with some clever wording it won't seem to weird.  You could just have the Elder be like "please go talk to Sargon" and if Magus hasn't talked he leaves, and if he has talked he can be like "I've already talked to him, you shouldn't have any problems"

--jp

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 09:53:55 pm »
Okay, that will work fine.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 11:40:28 pm »
ZeaLitY's Scene Whines

Since I'm good at text and JP is perfect at blowing through events, I'm going to stick to text and let him tweak. I'll put my notes here.

Millennial Fair Night Scene

Can we add a couple NPCs walking around? Also, Marle needs to kiss Crono after the last textbox but before they leave.

Guardia Meeting

Needs some facings and animations.

Guardia basement -> Zenan Bridge

We need the song "Battle 1" playing from the moment the cyborg jumps all the way to Denadoro, where it quits and we hear silence.