Author Topic: Larubans Vs. Iokans  (Read 11537 times)

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 03:42:06 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
And what is the Black Wind supposed to be, if not a spiritual aura that surrounds near-dead or dead people? It's exactly what both the CT Black Wind and the Islamic Huayra Yana ("black wind of death") are.

Direa didn't treat it like such an ill-omen. More like a special phenomenon. And I doubt people die left and right in Zeal, even though the Queen's mad. The people there are mostly happy.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2006, 03:48:46 pm »
Of course it's special. It happens to swirl around someone who, for all intents and purposes, is dead in that dimension.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2006, 08:31:16 pm »
Quote from: GreenGannon
Of course it's special. It happens to swirl around someone who, for all intents and purposes, is dead in that dimension.

Or at least, soon to be.  Remember that Janus "felt" the black wind around Crono before his death.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 09:58:32 pm »
But does the black wind mean that death is coming, or does it simply represent death?

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2006, 12:11:30 am »
But does the black wind mean that death is coming, or does it simply represent death?

Through speculation, I believe it to be both in a sense, that death WILL occur soon and someone WILL die. The Black Wind is definately an indicator sensed by few individuals which represents that someone will be leaving this mortal coil sooner than others may be.

Now since everyone in the world is "doomed" some day in their lives, since death IS inevitable, the Black Wind would not howl because the key moment for our lives to end has not come into picture yet. For us, the Black Wind might start howling on our hospital beds after a car accident or what not, for example. (no offense intended)

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 04:27:38 pm »
Quote from: Magus22
Through speculation, I believe it to be both in a sense, that death WILL occur soon and someone WILL die.

But that isn't very true. Every time Magus mentions the black wind, no named chracter actually dies. Maybe it means that someone is meant to die. For instance, he mentions it in his castle. Aside from the nameless mystics, the only candidates are the party, himself, and Lavos. Nobody dies. Magus likely did in the original timeline, but not thanks to Crono.

Secondly, he mentions that one among the party is going to die. Now Crono does die, but that's later undone by the Time Egg. So Janus's prophecy never technically came true.

The final one, if I recall correctly, is said to Schala when the party goes to her room. That one probably represents Schala and Queen Zeal's death in the Lavos timeline, but it could likely refer to the the entire Kingom of Zeal.

The Black Wind is definately an indicator sensed by few individuals which represents that someone will be leaving this mortal coil sooner than others may be.

By this do you mean that it swirls around those who die before they are supposed to, or those that die unnaturally? I can definitely see the latter applying.

Now since everyone in the world is "doomed" some day in their lives, since death IS inevitable, the Black Wind would not howl because the key moment for our lives to end has not come into picture yet. For us, the Black Wind might start howling on our hospital beds after a car accident or what not, for example. (no offense intended)

I'd think it would be a different case between dying on a hospital bed and being stabbed/blown up/disintegrated.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 06:23:05 pm »
Now Crono does die, but that's later undone by the Time Egg. So Janus's prophecy never technically came true.

But Crono did die, even if it was undone, so technically, Janus's prophecy came true. It's consequences were just negated later. To Marle, Lucca, and the others, Crono WAS undeniably dead for a time, and then we have all these solipsic themes going around and...well blah.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 07:39:38 pm »
Quote from: Magus22
Through speculation, I believe it to be both in a sense, that death WILL occur soon and someone WILL die.

But that isn't very true. Every time Magus mentions the black wind, no named chracter actually dies. Maybe it means that someone is meant to die. For instance, he mentions it in his castle. Aside from the nameless mystics, the only candidates are the party, himself, and Lavos. Nobody dies. Magus likely did in the original timeline, but not thanks to Crono.

Again . . . WILL be dying soon, eventually or any word you think fits, in the future. But I see where you're getting at.

By this do you mean that it swirls around those who die before they are supposed to, or those that die unnaturally? I can definitely see the latter applying.

Yes with your first inquiry.

I'd think it would be a different case between dying on a hospital bed and being stabbed/blown up/disintegrated.

Could you elaborate for me why you think this so?

Perhaps the Black Wind is the breath of fate blown on us before death . . .

GreenGannon

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 10:27:38 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Now Crono does die, but that's later undone by the Time Egg. So Janus's prophecy never technically came true.

But Crono did die, even if it was undone

His death wasn't simply undone. It was prevented from ever having happened.

, so technically, Janus's prophecy came true.

From our point of view, it did in fact come true. But from Keystone-1's perspective, it never came true.

It's consequences were just negated later.

The consequences? Try the event itself!

To Marle, Lucca, and the others, Crono WAS undeniably dead for a time, and then we have all these solipsic themes going around and...well blah.

But what was it from Crono's perspective? To him he was undeniably alive at all times.

@Magus; I just think it'd be a bit of a hassle for someone who felt the black wind to feel it every time someone's about to die from natural causes. And Direa remarks that the wind is odd so, assuming she's referring to the black wind, any 'ol death isn't going to stir it up.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2006, 05:32:37 am »
I always believed the Black Wind held tales and whispers of future events to come, not necessarily death. It seemed to warn Schala and Janus about the distinct change in their mother's behavior. To touch upon the gravity of the battle about to take place between Magus and Crono, Frog and ________.

Whatever.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight

But Crono did die, even if it was undone

His death wasn't simply undone. It was prevented from ever having happened.

, so technically, Janus's prophecy came true.

From our point of view, it did in fact come true. But from Keystone-1's perspective, it never came true.

There's no time loop is the Chrono series. Crono did die in one time-line, and  as you clearly and rightly said, his death was prevented in Keystone-1. Janus's prediction was in a previous time-line (still called "Keystone-1", but remember that Keystone-1 is a group of successive time-lines, not just one), and was correct only for that particular time-line.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2006, 11:37:46 am »
I think it would be more accurate to say that a copy of Crono was made who didn't die.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2006, 01:33:36 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
I think it would be more accurate to say that a copy of Crono was made who didn't die.

If your refering to that doll they swapped Crono for, then it would be just the opposite.  A copy of Crono was made that did die.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:27 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Quote from: GrayLensman

If your refering to that doll they swapped Crono for, then it would be just the opposite.  A copy of Crono was made that did die.

That's not what I meant.  By time travelling, they created a new time-line in which Crono survived, but in the other time-line still existed in the DBT.  They don't so much change the past, as create a new version of it.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Larubans Vs. Iokans
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2006, 04:21:15 pm »
You're saying the Time Egg made the Timelines split in a way?