Author Topic: The Amalgamated Weapons, Techs, Items, and Enemies Thread  (Read 15024 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The Amalgamated Weapons, Techs, Items, and Enemies Thread
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:02 am »
Wow, we need to do some stuff on this.  As I understood it, the project's basically on hiatus until TF 2.1 comes out, but there's no reason why we can't at least get something done.  And one thing that we haven't gotten done is, well, most of the things in the title.

I had a couple of new ideas and edits to the actual plot, but they're very minor; I'll send out another iteration of the master plot as soon as I find the time, which will likely be sometime this coming weekend because of mid-terms.  One of them includes a lot of pain for Lucca, and possibly a dedicated Robo sidequest.

OK, I'll start off with weaponry, since we've done the most on it.  I'm simply going to lay down a flat list of every single weapon name anyone has suggested for every character (culled from the other thread) and if I feel like adding any of my own, I'll italicize them so you can tell the new ones apart, and bold the ones that are pretty much certainly going to be included.

~Crono
Lead Sword
Arco Iris
Ara Dei
Trusilver
Jade Hilt
Shamshir
Geistrand
Ryuraizan

Hattori Hanzo
Shima
Meido (afterlife)
Meifumado (Buddhist hell)
Dotanuki
Kodachi
Wakizashi (short sword, same as Kodachi)
Sakki (palpable desire to kill)
Bokuto (wooden practice sword)
Onibocho (Demon Knife)

~Glenn
ArmingEdge
Gilt Sword
DwarfSword
Caliburn
Clarent
Galatine
PaxGuardia
Nauthiz
Masamune (big duh right here)
Maximus

~Marle
YewBow
FarShooter
Fay Arrow
Ivory Bow
Cherubim/Kerubim
Alkanost
Fail-Not
Naveed

~Lucca
QuantaShot
SnipeShot
VerneShot
FreeRadical
Flintlock

Zonker8000
DualMagnum
Sterling

~Robo
Strainer
Atlas
EmpireHand
Clasp
PryingHand
SteamPunch
DeathGrip
Impax
Imperator

*If the Servo Module can be done, we need to think of another set of weapons for him.

~Schala
DreamStone
Sun Charm
Diamond Pin
Hope Jewel
Star of Zeal
Will of Fire
Living Zeal
Death Wish
Peace Charm

~Magus
Grigori
Khadhulu
Kronian
Iscariot
Erebos
Totentanz

Gehenna
Vanitas
Legion
EbonyMoon

I've also been mentally toying with the idea of having gag weapons, like Crono's mop from CT or the joke weapons from Soul Calibur.  They wouldn't necessarily have to be exceptionally weak, though; they could just be references to something else entirely that we want to throw in for one reason or another.  For example, I had an idea for Robo's joke weapon, a ranged energy weapon named the Prometheus Buster.  As this is far too long to fit in the window, it's conveniently shortened to P. Buster.  At least some of you probably know where the term Buster originated to describe a blaster weapon; the Mega Man series used it first, and Robo carries almost the exact same vibe as X, as well as having a backstory that touches on many of the same themes as the idea of Reploids does.  Marle's gag weapon, in my mind, would either be a bowcaster or a blowgun, while Lucca's could be a paintball gun or a DL44.  Magus probably has the most possibilities for gag weapons; he's a naturally dark and intimidating character, which results in plenty of ways to take the piss out of him with weapon choices.  He could have a broom, a pitchfork, one of those cow axes from Diablo, a lance of some kind, who knows.

We did have a few item and armor names in the old thread.  I'll dig those up later; have to work on an econ project now.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 04:22:14 am »
I have added all of these to the current Rom.  You may want to Edit that first post if you know of any special attributes the weapons might have (stop, critical hit etc).

I also thought that Dual Magnums is hilarious.

--jp

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:35 am »
Oops I forgot about this thread. Marle's bow is actually the Alkonost (a Russian harpy, from the Greek Alcyone), not Alkanost.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:05:00 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Oops I forgot about this thread. Marle's bow is actually the Alkonost (a Russian harpy, from the Greek Alcyone), not Alkanost.

It's a kingfisher, according to my Greek Lexicon...

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 07:23:24 pm »
bit of a bump here.

We need new names for the armor/helmets.  

--jp

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 08:20:34 pm »
How many armor / helmet per person? We should probably break down what Chrono Trigger has (since it has male, female, character specific and general purpose armor) and decide how want want to divide that up here.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:41:24 pm »
well really right now we only need one or two of each so we can sell them in the stores.

--jp

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 12:13:27 am »
Quote from: jsondag2
well really right now we only need one or two of each so we can sell them in the stores.

--jp

Helmets... hmmm... weapons are easier, eh? Well, if you want to talk legendarially, there aren't many. There's Aegis, for a piece of armour, though that's rather overused these days, I think. Just go with what was suggested early on, especially for early armour: simple descriptions of what they are. Say, ScaleCloak, or TuskHelm (a throwback to the famous boar-tusk helm of Odysseus in the Iliad). You can have Dendric if you really want to allude to the Trojan war (the name the heavy armour they've found in the past years Dendric armour, though I'm not sure why. Dendron is tree in ancient Greek.) Corinthian is too much a direct reference, eh? Ilyrian as well, probably. Hermic might work. Centurian would be a VERY good name for a helm, come to think of it. Yeah, remember that one. Anyway, I'm spent.

I'm not feeling very creative today, at any rate.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:36:40 am »
Perhaps we could say that Guardia looted the defeated Mystics after the Mystic War, so that they have new armors to sell? We could have stuff like HenchHelm, JugglerCape, Naga Skin, etc.?

Works only for 602 AD though.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: The Amalgamated Weapons, Techs, Items, and Enemies Thread
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:05:56 pm »
Did we ever definitively figure out the weapons / armor lists? It's important because we're doin sidequests and the master quest for weapons is going to come into play, along with armor stuff.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:45:43 am »
Apparently, there is a quite sufficient amount of names proposed... but in order to set everything in stone, I think we'll probably need to figure out what stat and status bonuses we can have. This is what we forgot to consider when the list was first made. For instance, are elemental weapons possible, or weapons that cause status effects? Are we stuck with the CT equipments set status bonuses?

Oh and is it 100% sure that we can change weapon types? It'd be a shame if Magus were to be stuck with only 4 scythes like in CT.

Anyway, what we can do early is the ultimate weapons/armors stuff. I'm jumping to the side-quest topic.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 06:03:20 pm »
Seems we can't have elemental weapons. I'll get things going.

Weapons alotted to each character:

Crono 20
Marle 10
Lucca 11
Robo 12
Frog 9
Ayla 5
Magus 4

CE Chapter availability:

Crono 24
Marle 24
Lucca 24
Magus  23 (average)
Glenn 21
Robo 23
Ayla 10

So the party basically hits the ground running except for Ayla, but she's special and does not quite need as many weapons as the others. We should ditch the giant focus on Crono to some extent. If we still focus on giving Crono say, 13, and Ayla 5, that leaves 53 for the others. Everyone gets 10 weapons with 3 remaining special ones in case we forget something in the plot and have to make a special weapon. So with that in mind:

Crono

Lead Sword (Start)
Shima
Jade Hilt
Ryuraizan
Meifumado
Shamshir
Sakki
BurningCut
Onibocho
Trusilver
Geistrand SQ
Arco Iris (Rainbow)
Ara Dei (Rainbow EX)

Marle

YewBow (Start)
FarShooter
Fay Arrow
Ivory Bow
Ice Pierce
Kerubim
Alkanost
Fail-Not
Naveed (Valkyrie)
Valhalla (Valkyrie EX)

Lucca

Flintlock
SnipeShot
Zonker8000
DualMagnum
VerneShot
FreeRdical
Sterling
QuantaShot
AtashBlast (Wondershot)
Sunspot (Wondershot EX)

Robo

Strainer
ClashVice
PryingHand
SteamPunch
P.Buster
Atlas
EmpireHand
DeathGrip
Impax (Terra Arm)
Imperator (Terra Arm EX)

Glenn

ArmingEdge
Gilt Sword
DwarfSword
Caliburn
Clarent
Galatine
Nauthiz
PaxGuardia
Maximus SQ
Masamune

Magus

Grigori
Khadhulu
Iscariot
Erebos
Totentanz
Vanitas
Beguile
Kronian
Legion
DoomSickle
EbonyMoon (DoomSickle EX)

~

Questions

1. Any objections / suggestions?
2. What would you call a member of Valhalla? A Valhallan?
3. I suppose next we need to figure out weapon abilities. I'll condense the plot guide down to a really simple breakdown of dungeons so we can assign weapons and armor later. The dungeon theme will be posted so we can assign skills to suit the environment.

And on an unrelated note, I'm warming up to Eric Serra's Goldeneye score. It's different, but how incredibly it works for that movie...

Armor is next, so I'll do a preliminary post before condensing the plot guide.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 06:51:13 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 06:49:12 pm »
ARMOR  :mrgreen:

And the counts for CT are...

10 General use
8 Elemental (vest / plate)
5 Male
5 Female
2 Lucca
2 Magus

I think we can add a new dimension to the elemental armor by planning the Darkness Beyond Time well enough to pose threats using all elements. Anyhow, to free up ultimate armor, perhaps we should ditch the elemental vests and just stick to plates? And then, if we docked Magus and Lucca for one armor each, we'd have all 7 covered with one extra. But it all comes down to whether we want to do ultimate armor for everyone or just a genreal "ultimate armor" like the Moon Armor.

Anyway, out current ideas...

General Armor

Bonemold
KevlarVest
Dragonhide
Titanium
ForceField
DreamGuard
LavosScale
PrismGuard
Preserver
Eidolon

Male Armor

Heat Plate
ShogunSuit
Demonhide

Female Armor

Flexiform
Pallas
Gaia Heart
Aigis
Oracle

Elemental

Cyan Cover
FlamePress
CloudCloak
ShadeShawl

(...or we could use "Red" Plate again)

Ultimate Armor

Crono - JeetKuneDo
Marle - Camilline
Lucca - Electra
Robo - Spark Suit
Glenn - CrestPlate
Ayla - LifeSarong
Magus - CrimseHood

With one remaining.

~

Questions

1. General suggestions. Crono and Lucca probably need ultimate armor names, and revisions are okay for the others if you find something horrible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:24:52 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 06:58:47 pm »
And again, before I condense stuff, let's do helmets:

17 General
3 Male
2 Magus
1 Female
1 Lucca

General

Skull Cap
PorreBeret
TuskHelm
CarryOnHat
Numitor
CrestHelm
WingedHelm (prevents slow and stop)
Aidoneus (evasion)
[Berserker]
HermesCap (automatic haste)
Pearl Cap
Centurian
Uncle Fez (new Ozzie pants?)

Male

RuggedBand
VirileHelm
Lion Head

Female

Cinderella
Starglaze

Ultimate

Crono -
Marle -
Lucca -
Glenn -
Robo -
Ayla -
Magus - Guile Mask

~

Questions:

1. Ultimate helms or no? Regardless Magus will be getting a Guile Mask.
2. Names upon names are needed here.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:52:37 pm by ZeaLitY »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 03:14:31 am »
Absolute damnation. I'd written down a whole lot, and for some reason my stupid computer started freezing, and it managed to delete the whole post. So, dammit again, and I'll try and be brief.

Firstly, armour. And yes, armour. I don’t like your bloody American ‘armor’. It’s too short. Armour is far more majestic.

Electra Ultimate for Lucca. Named after the strong heroine of certain Greek plays. The daughter of Agamemnon.

Camilline Armour for females. Named after the warrior maiden of the Aeneid.

Now... helmets...

Numitor One of the first kings of Rome. This works well by association with Janus, but might be better as a weapon than as a helmet.

Cinderella Joke helmet for Janus (can't you just see it? 'This can only fit one of us...') or a serious one for another character.

WingedHelm Certain ancient helmets, like of the Samnites or the Celts, had wings. I guess it implies speed.

CrestHelm Ancient Greek helmets had crests. This is a more general type, I suppose.

Lion Head The SPCA will get OUR heads for this one, but hey, Herakles did it... it also implies regality.

HermesCap Self-explanatory.

Skull Cap I don’t like the way Centurian is the starting helmet. Really, a Centurian, if you really think about it, is a ‘Roman’ helmet. It belongs in the 2AD time period, later on in the game, where in our world Rome existed. Skull Cap, as probably the simplest form of helmet, would be best for first.

CarryOnHat Say this quickly and you get Carrion Hat, which is dead bodies, like at a battlefield.

Crono (14) - need a joke one.

I don't know if I like all these names. A few too many foreign sounding ones. But whatever. It's still a good list. No serious objections. And, of course, the last two are perfect. Wait... what’s SQ? And I just had a thought... maybe from the monster Khrusaor you can get a sword called Khrusaor (like the Ultima weapon in the Final Fantasies)? After all, Khrusaor does mean ‘gold sword.’

Lead Sword (Start)
Shima
Jade Hilt
Ryuraizan
Meifumado
Shamshir
Sakki
BurningCut
Onibocho
Truesilver
Khrusaor
Geistrand
Arco Iris (Rainbow)
Ara Dei (Rainbow EX)

Marle (11) - room for 2 more serious ones.

To answer your question, there’s no such thing as a Valhallan. A resident there is one of the... bloody difficult word. Let’s see... Einheriar. Anway... I’d order the list a bit differently. Mainly, I’d put FarShooter a bit later, seeing as it’s referring to Apollo the Archer himself. The only name I don’t quite like is Valhalla. It doesn’t quite fit, because everyone knows it’s a place name. Freya, the name of the Norse war-goddess, might be a better bet. It keeps that connection with Valkyrie, which I think you were shooting for. Oh, and I have to go with Hadriel and his ‘Bowcaster’ for her joke weapon. Total weapons 8+2+1. My revised list:

YewBow (Start)
Ivory Bow
Fay Arrow
Ice Pierce
Fail-Not
Kerubim
FarShooter
Alkanos
Naveed (Penultimate)
Freya (Ultimate; Naveed EX)
Bowcaster (Joke Weapon)

Lucca (12) - room for 1 more serious one.

No issues here, except maybe QuantaShot being so high. But that’s not too big an issue. Personally, I’d have put FreeRdical just before AtashBlast, and VerneShot before it. And for a joke weapon? StarkyGun. Have to reference CC. And I added in CosmicBlast, bringing the total to 9+2+1 = 11. What the heck, this is how I’d put it.

Flintlock (Start)
QuantaShot
SnipeShot
DualMagnum
Zonker8000
CosmicShot
Sterling
VerneShot
FreeRdical
AtashBlast (Penultimate)
Sunspot (Ultimate, AtashBlast EX)
StarkyGun (Joke Weapon)

Robo (10) - room for 2 more serious, and 1 joke.

Strainer (Start)
ClashVice
PryingHand
SteamPunch
P.Buster
Atlas
EmpireHand
DeathGrip
Impax (Terra Arm)
Imperator (Terra Arm EX)

All good here. But we need a joke weapon, and there is room for more.

Glenn (10) - room for a few more, and a joke one.

Weren’t there more listed before? Hmm... I suppose not. Anyway, this is good, except I’m not sure which way the ‘penultimate/ultimate’ is structured.

ArmingEdge (Start)
Gilt Sword
DwarfSword
Caliburn
Clarent
Galatine
Nauthiz
PaxGuardia (Penultimate)
Maximus (Ultimate, PaxGuardia EX)
Masamune (Super-ultimate)

Magus (12) - room for a few more.   

I don’t quite like these. DoomSickle doesn’t have enough feeling behind it. It works for a start, but not a finish. Especially since it is from Chrono Trigger, I don’t think we should use it again, save for the very first. EbonyMoon also... okay, actually, in this case I’d thought to laud the name I thought of, the Kronian. I thought it would work well as an ultimate, by association with Chrono/Crono. The sickle of Kronos, which overthrew Ouranos, god of heaven... a compelling picture, I think. Furthermore, I judge the second to best should be Totentanz. I don’t know who came up with that one, but ‘Dance of Death’ is too good a name to be relegated to anything other than second. And if not second, it should be first. The others can be in whichever order, only that I think maybe Numitor should be put in there as a weapon. Also, I was thinking Thyrsus as a joke weapon for Janus. The history behind that is the Maenads, or Bacchantes, the female followers of Dionysus, were said to wield these things to wield off the advances of the Satyrs. Also, it looked like a phallus. Totally incongruous with Janus, eh? Furthermore, I know Hadriel suggested this one, but I’m not comfortable with Khadhulu. I’ve removed it on my list, but you can put it back if you want. Oh, and I added Numitor which I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, so a revised list:

DoomSickle (Start)
Grigori
Iscariot
Erebos
Vanitas
Legion
Numitor
Beguile
EbonyMoon
Totentanz (Penultimate)
Kronian (Ultimate, Totentanz EX)
Thyrsus (Joke Weapon)   

Of course, all of these can be shifted a bit to allow for dungeon accuracy. You’re not going to put a VerneShot in 2AD, after all.

Anyway, in a side note about armour... anyone ever think ancient armour was boring? Well, I was read a Greek tragedy - the Seven Against Thebes, I doubt anyone’s read it, as it’s one of the most obscure and archaic of the tragedies - which includes a large section describing the armour of the enemy champions. Two bits stand out. Firstly, the messenger speaks of one Eteoklus, who has whistles by his horse’s bits. Imagine that! You’re being charged by an enemy chariot, and you hear this dicordant whistle when the horses pant. Pretty nifty, and would be quite frightening, I imagine. Secondly, the messenger speaks of the hero Tydeus, who inside the rim of his shield has bells - and I imagine these aren’t high-pitched sleigh bells, either. Already these heroes wear crests in order to intimidate their enemies - imagine meeting a man in battle when heavy bells peal whenever he shakes his shield. I was so interested in that description, I used it in writing (one of my projects is the writing of a Greek tragedy, based on the Seven, but focussing on the hero Amphiaraos), when I have it said: ‘Listen! / The bells upon his great shield peal, / and stun to torpor the sons of Thebes, / threatening heaven with bloody discord.’

Oh, and yeah, and yeah, Guile Mask is an absolute neccessity.

And funny you should mention the Goldeneye soundtrack. I just saw the movie yesterday for the first time in years. My brother commented that he didn't remember the music being so weird. Heh. It IS a bit strange. But now I've got a hankering to play the game again.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 03:21:21 am by Daniel Krispin »