Author Topic: Why was Glenn a Frog instead of a ________?  (Read 7690 times)

Kanata

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaiaonline.com
Why was Glenn a Frog instead of a ________?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 01:31:24 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
I think the Frog King has no relavance to Glenn turning into a Frog at all.
yeah it was problely b/c frogs it the middle ages where consider fowl and to have something to do with witch craft!!!!!

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 01:49:19 pm »
Another good point.  It most likely does have to do with that and some myth dealing with frogs.

I love seeing old threads being ressurrected.  Although, its not THAT old compared to other threads coming back to life.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 10:40:29 pm »
Exactly. Magus made him the most retched common creature. I don't question Magus's choice of form for Frog, rather I would like to discuss why Frog turned human in the end scene. Perhaps Magus lifted the spell from him?

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 11:47:07 pm »
Quote from: Magus22
Exactly. Magus made him the most retched common creature. I don't question Magus's choice of form for Frog, rather I would like to discuss why Frog turned human in the end scene. Perhaps Magus lifted the spell from him?

This is a very common question, and it angers me.  Well, not the question, the answer that's most common.  Typically, people assume that Magus MUST have been killed, since Glenn is now in human form.  People just fail to believe that there's another way for Frog to lift the curse, whether it be Magus lifting it himself, or Glenn finding a way to do it through his inner strength.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 12:11:22 am »
Ditto Dewey...ditto.  I feel both instances you gave are the two best explanations.  I like to believe that Frog turned human based on his inner strength though.  I guess I like it because it makes him seem cooler.  Lame reason but its cool.  Just being reversed by Magus makes it seem less triumphant.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 08:01:55 am »
For Glenn in 600 AD, Magus has died 12 millenias ago, so it's normal for the curse to have lifted off.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 08:15:45 am »
Maybe Glenn just wasn't strong enough to fight the curse, but after the scene with Cyrus he realised his real strength and fought it.
Seems wrong I know, because he isn't human at the SNES-ending if he didn't fight Magus (well, not human yet I might add)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006, 08:27:09 am »
You are all right. They can't just kill Magus off yet. He's too important of a character to be implemented into the storyline. I am convinced that Glenn did fight the curse and realize his true inner strength to overcome it, but maybe Magus did uplift the curse after the Lavos battle? Just a thought...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 10:18:50 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
For Glenn in 600 AD, Magus has died 12 millenias ago, so it's normal for the curse to have lifted off.

Well, if the curse was placed in 600AD, and Magus time travelled back in time, which would take him away from 600AD, then the curse would be broken since Magus doesn't even exist anymore in that period.
But I'm not going to say that Magus died 12,000 years before because Magus is time travelling, and I doubt that his search ende din 12,000 BC, because we know that Magus is looking for Schala, and it'd be nice to realise (as plot intended) that he would find her in the future. Or if that never succeeds, he will look after Kid, and Janus and Schala can live together, reincarnated in the new reality (our world).

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 10:38:23 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
Quote from: Chrono'99

Well, if the curse was placed in 600AD, and Magus time travelled back in time, which would take him away from 600AD, then the curse would be broken since Magus doesn't even exist anymore in that period.
But I'm not going to say that Magus died 12,000 years before because Magus is time travelling, and I doubt that his search ende din 12,000 BC, because we know that Magus is looking for Schala, and it'd be nice to realise (as plot intended) that he would find her in the future. Or if that never succeeds, he will look after Kid, and Janus and Schala can live together, reincarnated in the new reality (our world).

It doesn't matter whether Magus will time travel again or not, because, at the end of CT, the Gates were shut and so the curse on Frog was dispelled once at that moment. The Chrono series doesn't have time loops. It's kinda like the Time Devourer's existence, Belthasar could have gone to 12,000 BC to successfully save Schala before she falls in the DBT, but it wouldn't prevent the Time Devourer from already have been created. Same for Frog's curse, if Magus time travels to 600 AD post-CT, it wouldn't prevent the curse from already have been dispelled.

I don't know what would happen if Magus would time travel to 599AD, though. But's that's a different question and that event probably doesn't happen anyway.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 10:44:14 am »
It woulden't matter if Belthy were to save Schala because the TD exists outside the timeline. He can't be affected by the timeline at all, that's the whole point of the Time Egg. You have to breach the Darkness Beyond Time to defeat him.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 10:48:04 am »
Quote from: Legend of the Past
It woulden't matter if Belthy were to save Schala because the TD exists outside the timeline. He can't be affected by the timeline at all, that's the whole point of the Time Egg. You have to breach the Darkness Beyond Time to defeat him.

Yes, but the logic still applies to Frog to an extent. When Magus returns to 12,000 BC at the end of CT and Frog to 600 AD, the curse is dispelled. Now if Magus were to time travel again, it wouldn't do anything to the curse because the curse is already lifted (= doesn't exist anymore). It's like a piece of wood, once you burn it to ashes there's no wood left...

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 11:49:19 am »
I was thinking that since the curse resulted in Magus time travelling to 600 AD that the curse wouldn't be lifted until he died, but not like you were thinking so I'll try to explain (not very well though because I hve class very VERY soon so I'll try again later, please don't yell at me if this sucks).

Magus and Frog both travelled in time, in most scenarios they travel together.  So they are now running on the same timeline.  According to the Space-Time Continuum Theory, the events in Zeal are happening at the same time as the events in Truce, Proto Dome, Ioka, etc.  So wouldn't this mean that Magus and Frog are kind of aging in the same way, as if they were still travelling together in time?  If so then Frog would be very old if he was waiting for Magus to die even though he MAY be 12,600 younger than Magus.

I'm probably wrong, contradicted so many theories, and pissed a few people off really badly.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 02:05:31 pm »
I just don't understand what you're saying at all. I do on the line of what you're trying to get at, but now I am a bit confused. All I know is that when Magus did warp to 12,000BC again to search for Schala, the spell has been lifted on Frog when he returned to his own time of 600AD. I refuse to believe any other asumption to state that Magus did die someplace and the curse was lifted in that fashion.

Inquiry: If Crono and co. and Magus in the Ocean Palace incident in which Crono died and the gurus along with Janus were thrown into a time gate to those times we find them in, isn't there another Janus walking around someplace in 600AD? or is it that parallel World thing that was discussed in CC...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 03:40:38 pm »
According to Time Bastard, the second Janus is thrown to the DBT when he goes through the gate.