Author Topic: Why was Glenn a Frog instead of a ________?  (Read 7728 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Why was Glenn a Frog instead of a ________?
« on: March 02, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
Is there any evidence as to why Glenn was tranformed into a Frog as opposed to any other animal?  A few possible questions arise from this, which branch off into multiple possibilities.

First off, did Glenn's experience with Cyrus battling the Frog King have anything to do with this?  

- A "yes" argument for this would be that this is the Frog King's only appearance, and the ONLY time the game shows Glenn in an actual battle.

- A "no" argument is just as strong.  Glenn and Cyrus came out more than victorious, both forcing the Frog King to run, and getting back the Hero Medal.  So, it must'nt have been a bad experience.  Compare this to the reason Lynx was a panther, was because Serge had a phobia of them. It seems unlikely that Frog would end up being cursed by something that didn't bother him.  Had he been defeated by the Frog King, maybe this would have made more sense.

Now, off of this, Frog was obviously cursed by Magus.  Which raises a few more questions.

One, did Magus selectively choose "frog"?  Or did he simply pull out a spell that would morph Glenn?  Ozzie tells Magus to give Glenn "a more fitting form", but there's no evidence that Magus specifically chose frog, only that he selectivly picked a morphing spell.  

Now, IF Magus specifically chose "frog", was this because he was somehow aware of the Battle with the Frog King?  I'm sure Magus knew of the Hero Medal, and its extremely likely that he knew who had it at all times, and was aware that the Frog King had lost it to Cyrus and Glenn.  So maybe this had something to do with the selection?

If Magus DIDNT specifically choose "frog", was Glenn's metamorphisis due to experience with the Frog King?  Or was it simply coincidence?

Actually, another question raised up, is it possible the Hero's Medal somehow reacted with the fact that it was once held by the Frog King, doing something to Magus' spell?  This seems unlikely for many reasons, especially because Frog/Glenn didn't get it back until after he had changed over to his ampohibian form.  I'm just bringing it up for conversation.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 06:06:15 pm »
I think the Frog King has no relavance to Glenn turning into a Frog at all.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 06:24:41 pm »
Everything about the Frog King is a mystery, like the random NPC girl standing near Glenn and Cyrus in the scene... and the Frog King monster datas that are uncomplete in the cartridge...

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:46:36 pm »
Perhaps Frog's appearance was the last detail writers put last? They could have come up with his punny name first, then give him an appearance of a frog. The Frog King idea could have come from this, perhaps...

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:03:36 pm »
TO THE SCRIPT!

GLENN: C, Cyrus!?

Cyruuus!!

Magus: Harumph!
   What's the matter?
   Aren't you going to try your luck?

GLENN: Err...!

OZZIE: Gyah, ha ha...
   Cat got your tongue kid?

OZZIE: How about it, Magus?
   Can't you give him a more fitting
   form?

Magus: All right, why not?
   There's always time for a little fun.

GLENN: !!

GLENN: A...augh!!

GLENN: Aaaaack!

OZZIE: Gyah ha ha...!
   You spineless wimp!

Gleen is a frog because Magus thought it was a suitable form to mock him.

Edit:
I see you used correct quotes in your original post. It's never specifically implied "I will turn you into a frog hah hah!" but I'm fairly certain that since Ozzie tells magus to choose the new form, that Magus did choose the new form and decided a frog was a good idea.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 11:38:08 pm »
Later on in the script Magus says to frog something along the lines, "Kiss any good princesses lately, frog?"
Frog is just an amusing form for Magus to mock at.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 03:11:04 am »
Well if the Hero's Medal for instance had been in the Frog Kid's family, and if the Frog King was a mystic (doesn't matter if he wasnt) Magus would still know how someone with the Hero's medal would go after the Masamune to defeat him, and knowing that, Magus could have transformed Glenn into Frog so that it'd make him more suiting with having the hero's medal.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 06:33:01 am »
I always thought that Glenn became Frog because in fairy tales, princes are tranformed into frogs, waiting for good princesses to kiss them and give them their original shape.

Darth Mongoose

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://darthmongoose.hyper-comix.com/home.html
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:16:52 am »
Yeah, I always figured it was because of the traditional fairytale connection of turning the handsome knight or prince into a frog. CT twists the tale a little so that the frog is still a fearsome warrior and a knight of noble bearing despite his form.

VinceIP

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 02:19:04 pm »
That's what I was going to say as well. Square seems to like fairytales. :) Nearly all of their games include a princess, king, queen, or something else to do with old English royalty.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 02:35:28 pm »
Yeah Square is in love with the good old fairy tales.  Like Final Fantasy I.  Besides Glenn was a loyal knight of Queen Leene, and its classic to turn a heroic knight of a princess or queen into some loser frog.  Except this loser frog is amazingly skilled, and can still save the day.  Thats the CT touch.

DoomSickle

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Insane and happily so
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »
Dear old Magus probably considered Glenn to be Cyrus's 'toadie'.
Oh, what?! I think I feel Ironic cynicism coming on!

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 12:53:50 am »
Also a frog is much less awkward as swordsman instead of something like a donkey.  Think about other possible animals... most of them don't work out well at all.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 07:08:55 pm »
*having visions of a swordfighting cockroach*

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 10:35:37 pm »
What other instances are there of Square[soft-enix] using fairytale-esque stories in games?