Author Topic: I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare  (Read 10875 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 01:06:52 am »
Heck, if Frog was bad ass, that explains a lot about the Masamune. Heck, the sword may not have been "Good" in the Japanese version. It would have just simply been the sword that follows the desires of it's wielder if they're strong enough. So all along, it was evil in a way because of it's taint, but Masa and Mune kept it in line.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 04:31:09 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Oh gosh, Mystik3eb, you know what I'm thinking? Fanfiction crossover story where English Frog and Japanese Frog meet in some sort of Chrono Cross-esqe scenario. Suh-weet.

werd, dude. werd.

And ChronoMagus, we were talking about a badass Frog, not a gangsta n00b Frog. o_O

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 04:58:56 am »
A badass Frog. Dude, this is like...a frog...which is badass...wait...genius! Oh my god the possibilities! Like, you know, throwing away the entire character! And what he stands for! Superb!

Darth Mongoose

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://darthmongoose.hyper-comix.com/home.html
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006, 06:57:56 am »
Luckily in Japanese, Frog speaks normally. I was worried (as a member of the CT retranslation group here) that Frog was going to talk in very old, meandering Japanese like a kabuki actor, or in super long-winded uber polite keigo or something. He speaks standard Japanese with occasional croaking.

I'm pretty glad of this, because the 'Olde English' he speaks in the English translation is mostly pretty damned awful. They've just shoved in a few 'thou' and 'th's and 'st's inconsistantly. As somebody who's from England, and who studies English lit, I find some of Frog's dialogue makes me cringe, even though I love him as a character.
I think the translators thought it would give him more character and make him more 'medievil' sounding if he spoke that way. Though the problem is that he speaks more rennaisance than medievil. If he spoke like a medievil Englishman, it'd be like reading Chaucer, making him close to impossible to understand to almost anybody playing the game!

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2006, 04:49:40 pm »
Hey, Mongoose, just be glad he's not speaking Gangsta n00b.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 06:49:08 pm »
Ok so I was exagerating... :roll:   but still I prefer the good Frog.  But man what would I give for a normal sounding frog who doesnt have a random thou every other line...  Normal sounding Frog is the best, because it doesn't take away from the character.  Badass frog is still wierd.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 09:39:02 pm »
I have to agree with DM, I was really bothered by some of the terrible attempts to make him sound Biblical or whatever. It was poorly constructed, as she said. That's why I'd appreciate a normal Frog.

And I don't see how a badass Frog ruins his character. It's just the way he talks.

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 10:54:52 pm »
The way a character talks is an integral part of characterization :). Or that's what my English teacher told me.

Really, if Lucca spoke in Ebonics, you'd think differently of her, wouldn't you?

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2006, 10:09:00 pm »
Maybe its because I have just gotten used to the idea of Frog as a good honest person who would probably say some random medieval thing rather than something badass.  Meh.  Who knows, maybe it would be good.

Darth Mongoose

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://darthmongoose.hyper-comix.com/home.html
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 12:08:54 am »
The way a character talks is an integral part of characterization Smile. Or that's what my English teacher told me.

Really, if Lucca spoke in Ebonics, you'd think differently of her, wouldn't you?

Which is precisely WHY I'm not a fan of the way Frog was shown in English. It changes how his character is shown. In the Japanese CT, Frog speaks in a very straightforward and direct manner, like a Warrior. The English version makes him speak in a flowery and superfluous way.

Though the English Frog is kind of more fun, the Japanese one sounds cooler because of his calm and serious way of speaking.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 01:14:09 am »
Didn't Kid speak Kansai? The English Aussy accent was stupid =.=

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 02:52:22 am »
Quote from: sssssz
The way a character talks is an integral part of characterization :). Or that's what my English teacher told me.

That right there is called stereotype and generalization. That, my friend, is BAAAAAD. Not necessarily always wrong, but BAAAAD.

You judge people by the things they do, not the things they say. Forget your English teacher, didn't your parents teach you that? ;)

[/light, playful tone]

And Zaper...what the hell is Kansai?

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 01:59:40 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, Kansai : Japanese = Redneck : English. Or at least that's what professional translators believe. It's nigh impossible to translate dialect right, to any degree...

Meh.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 04:45:35 pm »
Quote from: sssssz
If I'm not mistaken, Kansai : Japanese = Redneck : English. Or at least that's what professional translators believe. It's nigh impossible to translate dialect right, to any degree...

Meh.

I thought it was like the slangy, sleezy merchant like talk from the feudal era, Japan.

SolidSnake_8608

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
Why is that Frog only speaks like a normal person when, well, he is a normal person? Maybe his old english is just a gay side effect of the curse.