Author Topic: Real World Influences  (Read 5543 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Real World Influences
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:18:36 pm »
This is the commentary thread for RWI.

Ryozu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Real World Influences
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:32:08 am »
Was reading up on some Japanese architecture for a project, and came across a web page that detailed some of the history of it.

As most are aware, the floors in tradtional houses were raised off the ground. This building convention was not always the case, as the people of the Jomon period (30,000B.C -300B.C.) were pit dwellers. They dug rectangular holes in the ground and covered them by leaning logs against posts and ridge poles. The dirt floors were covered with straw. Toward the end of the subsequent Yayoi period (ca. 300A.D.) raised floors began to be built to house grain. The benefits of raised floors in the granaries was not wasted on the nobility who began living in such structures.

From that time on, the ruling classes always lived in structures elevated from the ground. The lower classes remained living on mat covered dirt floors for many centuries to come. The predominant flooring for the nobility was wooden planks. Their elevation from the ground raised the inhabitants from the dampness and provided ventilated relief from the hot humid summers. Raised flooring dictated a floor living style that did not require furniture designed to raise the inhabitants from the dampness. Seating was at floor level. From the Kofun period to the Heian period seating was usually on round, thick straw woven mats called warouda. The ranking of court nobility dedictated that different levels had to be developed. This was done through tatami type mats.

Not sure if this was the best place for this, but I found it interesting.  Reading it instantly reminded me of our favorite overzealous kingdom.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 03:56:58 am »
Heh...elevated housing run amok.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:43:16 am »
Well, in most cultures, people usually believe that high is more majestic than low...yeah...but it must be based on the Jommon thing. Must be.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 12:18:18 am »
Sarcasm aside, most European kings had their thrones on an elevated platform.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:57:54 am »
And watch any movie and you'll see that when you want the person to look more high than another person, then you make them look down on them. That, or show their perspective really blurred and in many psychedelic colours. (Get it, high! Ho ho ho, I must say, I am funnier than all of you. I only let you guys bask in my glory because my mum says I have to. Ha! There I go again!)

LegacyCrono

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 03:17:35 pm »
About the 3 gurus giving Chrono's party 3 gifts like the Mages, I always though these 3 gifts were more in relation with the Japanese mythology:
The japanese Emperor received 3 gifts from the gods:
 * a sword taken from a devil's body (Masamune)
 * a magical jewel (Time Egg?)
 * a mirror with 8 faces (ok there is only 7 time periods in CT but...)
Chrono'99, you're wrong about the time periods:
  • 65000000 BC
  • 12000 BC
  • 600 AD
  • 1000 AD
  • 1999 AD
  • 2300 AD
  • End of Time
  • Lavos' Pocket Dimension
If you consider End of Time as a period, then you should consider PD too. The jewel could be the Time Egg or Frozen Flame, I dunno.

Sealing the comparison is the presence of the Knights of the Squaretable in the Chrono series, an order present in English legend -- originally, the Knights of the Roundtable, presided over by the legendary King Arthur. Workers seem to till the land, and the world contains cafes and inns where much merrymaking occurs. It is important to note that the Squaretable title was invented by Ted Woolsey; in the Japanese version, they were merely "royal knights."
Weird pun, Squaresoft / Squaretable.  :lol:

I've heard that Mammon is the Lucifer's child name. Makes sense, considering Lavos as Lucifer.

Nice article, really interessing!  8)
SEE YA!!!!!

Ragnatz

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 03:36:23 pm »
Haven't had a chance to read this entire article yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  One thing I noticed while skimming, though was that in the Religion of the Ages section, there is no mention of Miquel's comment in the Dead Sea of Gods and Goddesses:
"Either way, it is all part of the grand game of the gods... and 'goddesses!'"

In addition, numerous characters refer to the "Goddess of Fate", including Lynx, Steena, the Dragons and the Dwarves.

And of course, there are the "Dragon Gods" themselves, considered my most of El Nido to be elemental deities of a sort.

But, yeah, can't wait to read the entire article in depth (when it isn't 4:30am).