Author Topic: My disk is trashed  (Read 2091 times)

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« on: February 25, 2006, 09:46:07 pm »
My Chrono Cross disk is dead, I mean really dead.  I get to many parts in the game and it freezes or sounds and looks... strange.  I have tried to fix the scratches (in just about every method) and yet it is still... dead.  I don't like emulators because they are not so good with... anything.  
Any ideas?

Ramsus

My disk is trashed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:56:28 pm »
Is it horrible gashes/scratching that's causing the problem? If so, the only solution would be polishing them away somehow, and it sounds like you already tried that. Your only other option is getting another copy and trashing the bad disc.

Be sure to check the terms of the warranty in the instruction manual. I'm pretty sure it's just 60/90-day for replacement, but you never know.

Also, make sure the bottom isn't just covered with something opaque. Use a 100% cotton T-shirt and a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and 50% water to gently clean it. That's also a good solution for cleaning most screens and lenses.

I hear you can use toothpaste to polish CDs, but with all the different types of toothpaste out there, I wouldn't trust this bit of advice even if it were true.

Instead, you might take it down to a game shop and ask them what they think. They might have a scratch-removal machine that grinds away some of the plastic to lighten deeper gashes and scratches, then polish the disc. Even if they charge you a small fee, it'll still be a lot cheaper than replacement.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 11:05:15 pm »
If all else fails, you can burn backup copy which you should already have made (hint, hint).

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 11:28:36 pm »
Thanks for the hints but I don't have a mod chip or a backup copy.  I suppose I could Unzip an ISO (or maybe I can still get the files off of my disk), but I still don't have a modchip.  Is there another way over this? cough cough hint cough cough! [/size]

Ramsus

My disk is trashed
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:29:18 pm »
Sorry, no more hints. You're basically screwed.

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:35:09 pm »
@#$%
Oh well I guess I'll look online for awhile.  
Thanks anyways though.

Julian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:16 am »
My brother uses a gamedoctor type thing for his xbox cd's and it works wonders, you should try what the above poster said and take it to a game shop. You could also just buy one yourself, if I remember correctly they go for around 20-30 usd, not too bad if you have a few games that skip.

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 02:16:30 am »
This may make me sound like a tightwad... (I am) but I would rather use some sort of burning program.  Which I have tried... IT DIDN'T WORK ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyways, anyone that knows anything about this...
My email is on my profile.  (hint hint).  
Wow! that word can take on such meaning...

Julian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 02:20:12 am »
No offense or anything, but did you try the disc on your playstation? If so, is your console chipped?

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 02:36:32 am »
No Offence taken.  

I don't have it chipped, but I found claims on the internet that you didn't have to with the right software.  
Truth is I've never needed a chip and I don't know if I want one.  
I'll try what I'm doing for now and if it works, Great! Otherwise I'll just have to go on Ebay for a new game.  Cleaning it may not work all the time, as I've found with various methods online.  Yes... Even toothpaste.

Julian

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 02:37:36 am »
Hah alright, I tried the toothpaste thing myself once. I totally screwed it up and had to buy ff7 all over again.

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 02:44:12 am »
Wow that was a fast reply!!!!!!!
When I tried toothpaste it actually worked, with the help of vasoline, but only for a while and not very well.  It eventually got worse the more I did it to keep the disk alive.  Only recently has it stopped working almost completly.  I can play as far as the dead sea.

Ramsus

My disk is trashed
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:45:54 am »
If you don't mind me asking... What kinds of toothpaste did each of you use? Specific brand and type, with a description of appearance and texture.

DUDE71

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
My disk is trashed
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 02:50:20 am »
Well... I believe it was Colgate.  I think it was the whitening toothpaste.  It was white and the finest texture I could find in the closet.  The texture was based off of what the site told me to do.  And then I put a little vasoline on.   :)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
My disk is trashed
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 03:03:20 am »
You should get one of those new disc condom things. That's not what they're called, but that's essentially what they are. They're awesome.