Author Topic: Cyrus and the properties of specters in the Chrono Series  (Read 4866 times)

The Pezman

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Cyrus and the properties of specters in the Chrono Series
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 03:18:42 pm »
But on the topic of spirits...

This segways nicely into what I was about to make a topic of my own about.

Most people take it for granted that Masa, Mune and Doreen are the spirits that are found within the Masamune.  Masa and Mune inhabit the sword, while Doreen shows up in time for Cross... somehow.

I've personally never been satisfied with the simple explanation that they're nothing more than a personification of that weapon.  For one, we know Masa and Mune existed before the actual sword did, because, chronologically, you meet them before you get the  Ruby Knife.  And the actual Masamune doesn't even come into being until the power of Lavos merges with the dreamstone knife.  And Doreen doesn't seem to be attached to any physical object whatsoever.

And that leads us to the nature of the Masamune.  Most people believe that it is a sword meant to strike down evil.  That assumes a more or less objective definition of what
evil is.  And since I don't like to consider Chrono Trigger a fairy tale (its sequel certainly isn't), I think there's more to the Masamune than that.  So why is it so effective against Magus?

Myself, I think Masa, Mune and Doreen all used to be human.  I believe Masa and Mune, in their youth, were friends with Janus.  But a bitter rivalry tore them apart (not sure exactly what that would be.  Maybe Janus got jealous that Masa and Mune were so proficient in magic), which explains why the Masamune would harm him but not any other supposedly "evil" enemy (such as Slash, Flea, Azala, Zeal, Yakra XIII or LAVOS).

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 04:33:56 pm »
But of course, we know Masa, Mune, and Doreen to be spirits born from Melchior's dreams. And that the sword is effective against Magus because such is Frog's will and whatnot.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 04:44:22 pm »
Magus can easily beaten mainly because of Masamune's base material. Dreamstones can suck and store energy for future use.

Discoman

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 12:41:39 am »
 Or maybe it's because Frog 'thinks' the sword is destined to defeat Magus.. giving him higher confidence or something? Or maybe charged energy from the Mammon machine is still in the sword? Maybe it had a certain affect on adept magic users. We really dont know the affects on Zealians.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:04 am »
Or maybe it's because Frog 'thinks' the sword is destined to defeat Magus.. giving him higher confidence or something? Or maybe charged energy from the Mammon machine is still in the sword? Maybe it had a certain affect on adept magic users. We really dont know the affects on Zealians.

True, the sword has no effect on him when Frog fights him at the North Cape.

It kind of makes sence, like when Frog came with the sword in his castle, Magus was like "Hmph, so you got the Masamune". It seems as if Magus doesn't care if he has it or not. Magus was then surprise by what Frog had done to it, which probably was the revenge driving Frog to kill Magus.
Also, Magus could have lost  because his energy may have been used up during the summoning, but he was still a great opponent. After all, Magus' spell required Magus to exchange the world for Lavos.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 02:59:06 pm »
The Masamune's properties change upon the dreams of the weilder. Because Frog wanted revenge against Magus, it became really effective against him. Because Frog saw that Cyrus was put to rest, the Masamune powered up to show his resolve and new self confidence. Because the Masamune was abused and stained in blood, it became demonic. And so on and so on.