Author Topic: Magus' connection with the sign of the beast...  (Read 4688 times)

ibax7588

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Magus' connection with the sign of the beast...
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:52:15 pm »
I noticed in the boss info included with the special features on the Chronicles release that Magus' hit points are listed as being 6666 which is, albeit one digit extra, a sign of the devil or the Number of the Beast in Western Christian tradition.

I was a little confused by this and wanted to ask how or why this was decided upon to be the amount of hit points that Magus had in the game. I know that at the time of the game's original release in the United States, Nintendo of America had a strict religious censorship policy that affected many games released in the states, including Chrono Trigger. (Heaven power anyone?)

I wanted to know if anyone here knows the circumstances under which this number found its way into the game. Was it originally there in the Japanese release or was it added when the game's code was tweaked and translated to be released in other countries?

-----
Along with being the sign of the devil himself, "The Number of the Beast" is also an excellent song recorded by Iron Maiden.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:21:19 pm »
666 is used in fiction so much that it's like a meme by now. Putting it in makes the game "cooler" and emphasizes Magus' badass evil wizard image.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:33:32 pm »
As Daniel Krispin (I need a signal...perhaps a giant Noldor?) has pointed out on numerous occasions, 666 doesn't indicate evil, but rather, imperfection. Of course, they are probably betting you not knowing that. Hell, I didn't until Daniel mentioned it.

But let's examine it from that angle. Magus is the imperfect outcome of Janus' life. The possibility in which everything that could have gone wrong, did. His mother went mad, his sister was killed, he was thrown into a hostile time period at a vulnerable age, and then, after decades of growing in power, with no regard for the lives of others he has killed or maimed, directly or indirectly, he dies during is attempt to take his revenge. Quite imperfect.

What about the 777 of Janus' life? Sadly, we have no timeline to work with in which this happens. As much as I am loathe to use such terms, it seems that Janus is fated to an existence of torment.

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:51:15 am »
I'm inclined to think of Magus' HP being 6666 as nothing more than a cliche, really. The only reason they chose 6666 is probably because it's larger than 666 or 4444 and is less than 13000... The number six is a sign of imperfection in major schools of philosophy, though I think it's just taking it too far in this case.

Oh well. :?

Lynx

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:40:39 pm »
I wouldnt worry to much about it hon! Its just a bunch of # that they probally typed at random! BTW my dorm # is 666! They may not have been aware of the meaning of the # either!

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 11:19:37 pm »
I dunno. I've often heard it said that Japanese culture is--or at least, was--enamored by Christianity because it seemed to mystical to them. If this is true, then it's not surprising that 666, a number often associated with evil, would be assigned to the character we consider the villain at that point.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 12:32:06 pm »
i am pretty sure that the Square was aware of that number

and i am sure that they did it ON purpose :wink:

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:28:13 pm »
6666 is the best way to transform the traditional number 666 into a boss hp.  (I mean 666 would be pretty boring battle...) Its the standard number to represent doom and darkness.  In Star Wars Episode III, Order 66  was  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_66 Just another variant of the wonderful number 666.  In fact it talks about the Mark of the Beast in there.  Nothing strange, just Japanese superstition of Western stuff like 1999 AD = Apocalypse.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
Re: Magus' connection with the sign of the beast...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:19:52 am »
There is no hard evidence that Magus has any connection to the number of the beast... It's just mere coincidence that Magus' HP is 6666 is almost the "number of the beast."  Whether it's intentional or not, its just numbers.....

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:19 am »
I doubt it was totally random that they chose 6666...  There have been other allusions in CT.  Thats why there even is a Real-World Connections forum.  The fact is early in the game Magus seems to represent the "beast," (we think he is the creator of Lavos at this point, and is bent on world damnation) and it would make a lot of sense to give his hp a value close to the "Mark of the Beast." 

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 08:00:41 am »
As Daniel Krispin (I need a signal...perhaps a giant Noldor?) has pointed out on numerous occasions, 666 doesn't indicate evil, but rather, imperfection. Of course, they are probably betting you not knowing that. Hell, I didn't until Daniel mentioned it.
True, seeing as how it is one number away from 7, which is perfection. And seeing as how the Beast is close to the power of God, but not quite there, its a fitting number. Or something. Well, Magus was a bit like that. Totally powerful but defeatable. Though Aura is right.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 03:05:01 pm »
Pfft. I'm always right.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 01:03:59 am »
Further connection of Magus with things considered Devilish: His name is a title used in the Church of Satan. It is the highest grade one can achieve.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 01:38:35 am »
Magus was probably Anton LeVay's favorite Video Game character.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 01:11:42 pm »
Even though Anton LeVay died in like, the late 60's or early 70's?