Author Topic: I'm currently working on a CC save state editor...  (Read 4491 times)

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I'm currently working on a CC save state editor...
« on: February 14, 2006, 05:48:42 pm »
More specifically, one for ePSXe save states, though it should be easy to modify it to work with save states of other emulators (assuming their layout is fairly sane), and I was wondering if someone has made a handy map of locations of stuff in memory for CC? It can already do a fair bit (modify unequipped items and elements, gold, stars, character stats, equipment and names), and I could probably figure everything out on my own (eventually...), but it'd save a lot of time if something like that already exists.

(Also, if anyone's interested in it, I could upload a copy of it somewhere and post the link here. (Also, if this is the wrong forum for this, please don't hurt me, I'm new and this one seemed to be the one closest to what I was looking for.))

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:08:29 pm »
You're probably already familiar with this, but just in case, the best place to ask for documentation is at

http://board.acmlm.org/forum.php?id=19

Datacrystal doesn't even have a PSX section yet, and other than that, the Terminus Traduction French translation group is the only group to my knowledge that has hacked Cross extensively (though only in dealing with the script, as they translated it to French).

Oh, and feel free to share the WIp whenever you wish. This'll certainly be the first editor of its kind for Chrono Cross.

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:41:29 pm »
I've uploaded it here.

A few notes:
  • It's not really much of an editor right now; at the moment it dumps a bunch of stuff to a text file, which you then (gasp!) have to manually edit and then use the insert tool to reinsert the edited data, though I'm working on an actual UI so you won't need to do this.
  • It's written in Python, so make sure you have that installed.
    [/list:u]

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:48:54 pm »
I've uploaded a new version with a couple of changes: I added the ability to edit item quantities (I don't know *how* I missed that one...) and I also packaged a GUI program for editing the dumped text with it (uses wxPython, so make sure you have that installed too...), though it's not complete yet (Can't edit elements yet, as I've got to make a big list of all the numbers of all the elements), but once it is, I'll be combining them all into a single program.

I've also got a couple of screenshots:
The GUI on Windows
The same screen on Linux (ain't cross-platform stuff great? :P)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 07:34:29 pm »
Okay; should we keep it under wraps from a full news post until the final program is compiled?

Dang, and I just uninstalled Python. Guess I have a reason to get it back on again. The final itineration of the program will require Python too, right?

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:41:19 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Okay; should we keep it under wraps from a full news post until the final program is compiled?
Well, here is the almost-but-not-quite-final version (I'd like to add the ability to edit a characters equipped elements, but that's not really an essential feature, and it's already quite usable at this point), with all the programs combined into one (and thus a lot easier to use now) and the ability to edit Elements finally added, so at this point it's really your choice; after about ~12 hour of non-stop working on, this, I'm going to take a little break from this 'thinking' thing. :P

The final itineration of the program will require Python too, right?
Yes, it should work just fine with the default install (but remember to install wxPython too).

Also, I just finished testing it with the Windows version of ePSXe; it appears to work.

EDIT:
Oh, and here's direct links to the installers I used:
Python
wxPython

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 11:10:54 pm »
I'll get it launched asap. I've been working full blast on the Time article; this will be a nice diversion from crunching theories. Thanks; this is the first of its type! And now playing Cross for plot will be easier than inputting tons of GS codes to edit these attributes. As I recall, GSCentral never quite found the number for the Dreamer's Sarong...

Well, back to work.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 11:30:18 pm »
Edit: Bleah, I just had to ruin it. I can't find the Dreamer's Sarong in the acessory list.

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 11:36:24 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Edit: Bleah, I just had to ruin it. I can't find the Dreamer's Sarong in the acessory list.
Heh, I just added it in, try downloading it again. (It's way near the bottom of the list)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:58 pm »
Announcing it now.

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 12:42:55 am »
Yay! I'm famous! (or at least, I'm internet famous)

Anyway, I've uploaded a slight update which fixes some problems with the item list; Dreamer's Sarong, Flea Vest and Ozzie Pants and those status-resistant caps are now on there, and a few items which were off by a bit have been moved to the proper positions, and all of those "???"s have been checked and labeled appropriately (Though almost none of them were real items.)

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 12:48:35 pm »
Well, I'm almost done with adding the ability to edit equipped elements; it seems to be working fine, but I want to add the ability to edit the element grid too, and then test it a bit to make sure everything works properly.
Until then, here's a picture of Riddel using GlideHook.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 01:02:46 pm »
Cool; I was wondering if Cross would even allow execution of other characters' Elements like that. Riddel using something like Glidehook is pretty hilarious.

I wish I could tell how many people have grabbed it so far, but the CT Unglued files have bumped everything down on the Compendium's media server's site stats. I'd be willing to estimate that around 40-50 people downloaded it so far (by the end of yesterday). For comparison, the latest CT Unglued has about 567 hits this month, while the Chrono Trigger Coliseum is still hanging in there with 97.

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 01:31:52 pm »
Well, single techs seem to work fine, as they probably just use the model of the character that used it. But triple techs have some problems. Z-Slash makes Serge attack the enemy like he normally would (even if someone else uses it), and then nothing happens and the attack doesn't end, effectively locking it up; DeltaForce does the same thing, but the attack *actually ends*. I haven't tested any double techs yet, but they might have some problems too.

EDIT: The triple techs were tested with Serge (in Lynx's body), Riddel and Fargo; they may work differently if you have other characters that are normally involved in the techs in your party.

Deus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 03:32:32 pm »
Well, I've uploaded the new version. In addition to adding the ability to edit equipped elements, I've also added a little mini-guide for it in the README file in case anyone doesn't understand it.