Author Topic: 1st post! Dont know what forum to post this question on.....  (Read 950 times)

Son of Sun

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
1st post! Dont know what forum to post this question on.....
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:47:10 pm »
First I'd like to say this site is outstanding and very well put together and I'd like to commend those who are responsible for it. I found out about it while posting on gamefaqs (as 8bitScoundrel) and I'm glad I did because it's awesome. CT is my favorite game of all time and I never knew there was this much love for it out there or a place with this much content dedicated to it. I spent 4 hours reading through your encyclopedia's last night and it made me break out the SNES and start a new game.

Anyway, this brings me to my question. All this nostalgia has motivated me to create a sequel to CT using the original cast. Now I can do well on the creative and story telling end, but I'm not the most computer savvy person so I plan to use one of the RPG Maker game's. Problem is, I've never played any of them so I'd like to ask anyone who has which would be the best to use to create my game. Which would let me come closest to the general style and feel of CT with characters, attacks, techs, music, etc? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:11:30 am »
Welcome.  We really need to make and newbie/introduction forum.

Glensather Galanodel

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 12:47:57 am »
Go away.
I mean, hi.

btw, many boards make a sticky thread dedicated to newb introduction. Maybe we could do that?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 01:19:39 am »
Hey. Welcome to the Compendium. You could of posted in the unofficial and now defunct thread "How rude of me" which actually was a thread like this. Or you could of posted a "Welcomezor!" thread which could of been for everyone as it doesn't discriminate.
Anyways, bow down to me.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:15:50 am »
Hello, young one. Welcome to the pit of eternal peril.
For the closest-to-CT feeling, you would be best off using Temporal flux. It's hard work though, and RPGmaker is probably easier.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 06:20:38 am »
Welcome Son of Sun!

For the RPG Makers, they are just like Windows, the most recent is the best one. No point in using the old ones. The most recent is RPG Maker XP, you can buy it on the net, or... find it on the net too but don't ask for a link here.

There are other kinds of game makers also, though RPG Maker is the easiest to handle. Temporal Flux allows you to directly manipulate the CT ROM but its lack of documentation makes it a bit difficult to handle at first.

Son of Sun

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 11:46:40 pm »
Yeah, that's why I'm not gonna try and mess around with TF. As I said, I'm not the most computer savvy. But if the RPG maker's allow anything close to the style of CT, I feel I can make a pretty good game because I won't half *** it. When I start something like this, I'm pretty anal about it. Which is why it takes me 2 or 3 times longer to beat RPGs than what it should. :)