Author Topic: The acronym FATE  (Read 1215 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:21:05 pm »
Look at FATE's Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=FATE_%28Chrono_Cross%29&oldid=35319494 (permanent link)

It claims that FATE stands for "Future Altering Time Entity". Where the hell did the guy find this? It's nowhere in the script and it gives nothing in Google besides Wikipedia clones. Someone probably made up an acronym (backronym?) and spread it in wikis... That's why I'm not posting this in Analysis by the way, though I'm still posting it in the forum, because I think Future Altering Time Entity is kinda... cool, and ironical considering how FATE's purpose became the exact opposite after the Time Crash.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
The acronym FATE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 02:04:18 pm »
I love how the author refers to FATE as both he and she. ONOES A transexual time traveling robot from the future!1!1uno!!eleventeen!!1!!  :lol:

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:33:04 am »
That's actually kinda nifty. I, too, wonder where he found it, but it actually looks like a good interpretation.

ChibiBob

The acronym FATE
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:46:52 pm »
Could be from Ultimania, although you would think we'd have already  heard about something like this. -shrug.- Either way, it's a pretty nice interpretation, like Legend said.

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:56:25 pm »
Zeality might want to fix that.  I know he helps maintain the Wikipedia articles for the series.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:08 am »
Quote from: GrayLensman
Zeality might want to fix that.  I know he helps maintain the Wikipedia articles for the series.

The acronym has been deleted, and nobody reverted the page so... it was probably really made up.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 11:19:06 am »
Wikipedia has good information, but it shouldn't be trusted on a 100% basis. That's why there are encylopedia books to buy which are gaurenteed to be correct! Get up off your lazy arses and read something not on an electric screen! :)

Someone tried to rewrite Hamlet saying that Hamlet himself didn't get poisoned. Come on people!

Kanata

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaiaonline.com
The acronym FATE
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:08:28 pm »
that's Kool but oh gawd do i hate FATE i mean she a B****!!!!

ChibiBob

The acronym FATE
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:57:31 pm »
Quote from: Magus22
Someone tried to rewrite Hamlet saying that Hamlet himself didn't get poisoned. Come on people!

Hamlet? Poisoned? Ah ha ha, that's a rip. We all know he got a little too acrobatics-happy playing Dance Dance Revolution Monastery Mix one day and fell off the crossbow turret at Helsingör.

All that Shakespeare stuff was a paltry attempt at a cover-up. -sage nod.-

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
The acronym FATE
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 05:34:48 am »
I thought Mel Gibson's interpretation of Hamlet was the best of all that I'd seen. Hamlet is one weird fuckin' play. Brilliant. But weird. Kinda like the Japanese.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
The acronym FATE
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:53:07 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
I thought Mel Gibson's interpretation of Hamlet was the best of all that I'd seen. Hamlet is one weird fuckin' play. Brilliant. But weird. Kinda like the Japanese.

Serioisly. Mel's dancing around like a frickin jester taunting stupid Laertes. Though the sword fight at the end was cool, I prefered the Branagh version best when he threw his dorky sword at Cladious . . . and then made the chandelier swing right into him. That scene was CLASSIC.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: The acronym FATE
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 08:15:57 pm »
I am 80% sure I saw the full acronym for FATE spelled out in-game somewhere the first time I played through Cross, and that I saw it either while going through the Dead Sea or through the Sea of Eden.  However, I don't completely remember how exactly it was spelled out.  "Future Altering Time Entity" may or may not be correct.  Pouring over the "Full Game Script" submitted by Zeality on GameFAQs, I indeed cannot find any point at which the acronym is spelled out.  I didn't actually pour line by line over the other CC faqs on GameFAQs to check for it there, but I did run quick text searches through all of them for "Future Altering Time Entity" with no success.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that the acronym is definitely spelled out somewhere in the game.  Could it be that the Full Game Script is not completely complete?  Does anyone else remember reading out the full name for the acronym?  I can't get an emulator working on my current linux PC to verify...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:31:53 pm by hiddensquire »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »
The full game script is definitely, absolutely complete, and there is no suggestion that it's an acronym.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »
Sounds like something someone made up for their fanfic to me...>_>