Author Topic: Old and new Consoles  (Read 2919 times)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:43 am »
But the outrageously large price (for the time) and the fact that it was way too advanced for the market to handle, as well as some of the games being les than main stream, ultimately spelled doom for it.
Let us have a minute of silence to mourn the dreamcast.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2006, 06:23:40 am »
Quote from: Tonjevic
But the outrageously large price (for the time) and the fact that it was way too advanced for the market to handle, as well as some of the games being les than main stream, ultimately spelled doom for it.

That, and the fact N pummeled Sega, and out of Ninty came PS, and that pummeled the Saturn (god bless it, though the fact it was released 2 weeks after it was announced didnt help), and the PS2 pummelled the DC...
But yeah, I really wanted a dreamcast. But the day I heard my beloved Sega World closed down I inquired and found out the DC was dead, albeit a game every what, 1 and a half years?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2006, 04:14:13 pm »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
So wait...if a console has a great launch it fails (dc) but if it sucks, it wins (n64, psx). Ummm, ok...
In that case 360 will win. Its true classics have not come yet (halo 3, gears of war, lost planet, lost odyssey, too human and possibly mass effect)
DC games were the best! From Rez to Ikaruga, from Shenmue to SC, it was *ahem* "the greatest thing in the world"

Durka?

The Dreamcast's launch was far from great:
Airforce Delta
Blue Stinger
Expendable
Flag to Flag
House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Monaco Grand Prix
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
NFL Blitz 2000
Pen Pen Tri-Icelon
Power Stone
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
TNN Motorsports Hardcore Heat
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
TrickStyle

The three bolded are the only DC exclusive games that were above average. Now look at the N64:

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64

Even though it had far fewer launch titles, it almost equaled the number of great launch games the DS had. And finally the PSX:

Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme Games
Kileak - The DNA Imperative
NBA JAM Tournament Edition
Raiden Project
Rayman
Ridge Racer
Street Fighter:The Movie
Twisted Metal
Warhawk
Power Serve 3D Tennis
Total Eclipse Turbo

Again, nearly equaled the DC. They had more games, but we all know the reason the PSX blew up coughFFVIIcough. Since Square made the commitment to Sony we all knew that game was coming for the PSX. The real reason the N64 didn't do well at all was because they stuck with the carts and the third party companies wanted to play with the new technology. There were plenty of first party smash hits, they just had NO support from third parties.

Like I said, the launch isn't a garuntee but it does give a very good preview of what is going to come.