Author Topic: Old and new Consoles  (Read 2920 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 02:45:21 am »
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
I'm talking about games dude.
MS=Windows=Mainstream MS=Rare=Alt
Apple=iPod=Mainstream Apple=Mac=Alt

Ever hear of a little series called "Flight Sim"? No? How about "Age of Empires", that ringing any bells?

Glensather Galanodel

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 03:07:52 am »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Download service for classic games? Win.

We've been doing this for years. They're called ROMs, and they're free. The only difference with Revolution is that you have less selection for a price.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 04:21:17 am »
but it is hard to emulate GC/N64 games.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 05:41:50 am »
Quote from: Glensather Galanodel
We've been doing this for years. They're called ROMs, and they're free. The only difference with Revolution is that you have less selection for a price.

Yes. Downloading ROMs without owning them is illegal. In fact, downloading ROMs dumped by anyone other than yourself, of a copy belonging to someone other than yourself, is in fact illegal. And emulation can only please so much.

And who's to say we'll have less selection? Besides the likelihood of exclusion of games never released outside of Japan (but who knows?), who's to say how many will be available? That has yet to be seen.

And it's not all that hard to emulate N64, it just takes a good system to handle it. However GCN games...yeah, that takes a master system to do.

Hadriel

• View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 05:42:23 am »
They have several emulators available for the N64.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 07:19:03 am »
But you require a good system to emulate it and the GC. That is what I was referring to.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 03:14:23 pm »
Most N64 emulators suck.

As far as ROMs go, they are illegal.  Hell, the only reason I would download a ROM would be if it was for a game you can't get in the US, like Fire Emblem 6, or Seiken Densetsu 3.  I would buy those games first rather than get a ROM.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 12:50:24 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
Most N64 emulators suck.

Nemu, fool!

Quote from: Sentenal
As far as ROMs go, they are illegal.  Hell, the only reason I would download a ROM would be if it was for a game you can't get in the US, like Fire Emblem 6, or Seiken Densetsu 3.  I would buy those games first rather than get a ROM.

Ah, crimes of convenience. "I'd totally do the legal thing, except, you know, when the law gets in my way." =P

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 01:13:32 am »
I've actually done it.  My friend wanted me to play Illusions of Gaia for SNES.  He doesn't have the cart anymore, so I didn't play it (via rom).  Later on, I found it at a flea market, and bought it there.

Its not that I follow the law until the law gets in my way, its more like I follow the law, until "no english version" gets in my way.

LadyShiva

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 01:54:33 am »
Well as to whether I'd buy a PS3 isn't even an issue for me anymore. As much as I hate Sony and the inferior crap they make, it seems the playstation has a near monopoly on good RPGs.

As for the revolution, it seems that every generation since the snes I seem to buy less and less Nintendo games for every system. I always considered myself to be a hardcore Nintendo fangirl, and have dutifully bought every system on launch (or had them bought for me) since I was barely out of diapers. This time however Nintendo can only keep me happily illusioned with their promises of reviving old games I'm sure I already own, and yet more Zelda, Mario and Metroid for so long.

The bottom line is this had better be one hell of a showing if they expect to sway me back to fangirl status, and they had better acquire some good third party publishers so I actually have more than a handful of good games to play. If things continue on the way they are going I expect to own around five games for the revolution (as is I own about a fourth as many GC games compared to ps2 games).

Also, as much as I admire Nintendo's 'creativity' with their marketing gimmicks (interconnectivity with the GBA and the e-reader, and now glorified ROMs?), I'm afraid nothing will make up for a good library of games, and maybe some freaking online support. I know you've all heard it a hundred times, but really.

...The sad thing is even with all my indignation I'm sure I'm still going to buy a revolution, my love for Nintendo is just too deeply ingrained >.<
~

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 03:20:52 am »
Hey! Flight Sim is cool! And any game that has cheats like I love teh monkey!11!! and supa l33t h4x0r and has naked fast men isn't mainstream! Indie doesn't literally mean innovative. Look at nirvana. they used to be indie, but then became alt after they became popular. I don't know if that proves anything...
I like Project 64 better, though I have both.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 04:08:33 am »
Nemu, man. That's what I use, and it's near perfect. And my laptop sucks.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 04:39:08 am »
Quote from: LadyShiva
Also, as much as I admire Nintendo's 'creativity' with their marketing gimmicks (interconnectivity with the GBA and the e-reader, and now glorified ROMs?), I'm afraid nothing will make up for a good library of games, and maybe some freaking online support. I know you've all heard it a hundred times, but really.

Three words:
Free. Online. Gaming.

Nintendo moves slowly, but rarely foolishly. I find it disheartening when people hold the lack of major online support on the GameCube as a failing of Nintendo, when ignoring the similarly lackluster online support on the PS2. Neither Sony nor Nintendo had any idea that online would take off this generation, and had Microsoft not come out of no where and nailed it, it probably wouldn't have.

Here's the difference though. Now, it's obvious that there is a market for online console games. Xbox Live proved that. Nintendo is now offering free online gaming for the Revolution (and supported games on the DS), along with their download service. Sony? Not doing a damn thing. The PS3 has a NIC, and it's soley up to the developers to deploy or not deploy online in their games, without any sort of infrastructure* from Sony. The market will punish Sony for this, I'm sure.

*I'm not saying Sony doesn't have net support in it's API, but rather the infrastructure of the online system servers and the services they provide.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 05:37:32 am »
Dude, online isn't part of Sony's plan. Sony's plan is balls-to-walls bigness with dual HDTV, seven controllers, and a lot of strength. 360 and Revo on the other hand is all about online. Revolution has the entire back catalogue of Ninty games (wait, GCN IS supported?!) and 360 has the marketplace and has a few good x360 arcade games, like Zuma, Geometry Wars and Wik:Fable of Souls (its cheaper on 360 too)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Old and new Consoles
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 05:31:01 pm »
Revolution is hardware backwards compatible with Gamecube games and controllers. Hopefully memory cards, too. Just plug in your GCN controller, slide in a GCN disk, and go!