Author Topic: Serge  (Read 3192 times)

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Serge
« on: January 21, 2006, 03:05:19 pm »
...Is it just me, or does the kid seem to display prophetic powers with little or no connection to the Flame? I mean, he predicts Kid's death, he remembers his own death, he remembers the old timelines after they're unified, and I'm sure there's other examples.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:12:17 pm »
It's weird, yes.  Surprising?  Not really.  Serge is the Arbiter, and his connection to the Frozen Flame most likely has something to do with it.  Also, I'm not sure if Serge is actually able to "predict" what happens - he sees these revelations in visions and dreams.  Now, who is showing them to him?  I would take a guess that his connection to the Flame has something to do with it.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
Serge
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 03:21:26 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
...with little or no connection to the Flame?

Quote from: DBoruta
I would take a guess that his connection to the Flame has something to do with it.

Now I will admit that I haven't played CC so I don't know the specifics, however this profoundly confuses me.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 03:53:18 pm »
Quote from: JossiRossi
Quote from: AuraTwilight
...with little or no connection to the Flame?

Quote from: DBoruta
I would take a guess that his connection to the Flame has something to do with it.

Now I will admit that I haven't played CC so I don't know the specifics, however this profoundly confuses me.

DBoruta is the correct sentence. Serge is the Arbiter of Time, he is connected to the Frozen Flame. I don't know what makes Aura think otherwise.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:41:34 pm »
No, Aura's logic is correct.

Serge has never once shown any abilities whilst being around the flame, except that it awakens when he's around. Though, it didn't in Chronopolis.

I'd say that the memory of his death was a side effect of surviving. Kid's death could be De ja vu, or because it has something to do with Kid, Schala could have known through the flame. We do have to remember though that this happens in another world, even though Serge dreams of it in home.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:15:14 pm »
Serge doesn't have to be close to the Frozen Flame to be the Arbiter of Time. Being close to it would probably awake it or Lavos, but if he's far from it he's still the Arbiter of Time, the person with a special status and special powers... Those "prophetic" dreams are an example of power. Some people believe that his ability to use Luminaire is also due to his particular status. Dark Serge's ability to levitate could also be a special power.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 12:52:26 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
Dark Serge's ability to levitate could also be a special power.

I remember reading somewhere (cant remember where though) that Dark Serge's ability to levitate was because Lynx new how to harness more powers from the Flame, meaning basically Lynx had more knowledge of how to use the Flame's powers than Serge did.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Serge
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 02:27:51 am »
Being the Arbiter, Serge created a constant link to the Flame. The two react when placed together (The Flame awakening and Serge seeming a bit mesmerised in Terra Tower), but the Flame gains a medium through which she can exercise her power and Serge gains certain abilites, like floating or premonitions. I do think, however, that remembering Lynx's attack and the Panther would be just traumas who resurfaced... Leena does ask you if you remember the last time they visited Opassa Beach.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Serge
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 07:06:22 am »
I still believe that the only thing that being "Arbiter" applies to is getting past the security of the room holding the Flame. I don't think it has anything to do with the Flame specifically.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Serge
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 08:07:05 am »
Too bad RD hints towards the existence of an Arbiter as well: Riddle in RD seems to have a connection with the Flames. Esmald says that.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:10:41 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
I still believe that the only thing that being "Arbiter" applies to is getting past the security of the room holding the Flame. I don't think it has anything to do with the Flame specifically.

Arbiter "status" was for the Lock. Being the Arbiter of Time makes you the medium between Lavos and all life.

The thing here is that Schala allowed Serge to get close, so she kind of passed on the power. We all know she's Godlike :D
Serge is so stupid though, he couldn't harness it >.>

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Serge
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 11:13:22 am »
Serge wasn't stupid... The first thing to harnessing a power is knowing you have it. Secondly, Lynx could harness the Arbiter power because of him being so FATE-like in his mind... He has great knowledge of the human body, brain AND the Arbiter's powers.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Serge
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 02:59:26 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb

Quote from: Marle ghost
  It is now up to you, the one
   whom the Frozen Flame has
   chosen as its '"arbiter"'...
   You alone can decide how
   the new Lavos, which has
   encaged Schala within it,
   will evolve from here!

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Serge
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 03:24:52 pm »
Well, it seems from Dark Serge's demonstrations that the Flame's power has to be consciously used. The Flame basically responds to thoughts and dreams, so I don't know how Serge can subconsciously use it to see things he doesn't want to see. (Like his own demise.) While it probably is the Flame, I just wanted to play with the possibility that the prophetic dreams is his innate magic or something. XP

Also, in the Unified Timelines, Serge still remembers the events of the game, when Schala, who should logically be aware of the Flame's abilities to give Serge visions (if it has such powers) distinctly said he wouldn't remember anything. And yet he does. And depending on how you interpret the Unified Timeline, he might not even be the Arbiter anymore when this happens.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Serge
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 03:33:39 pm »
I always thought the seal was just being cast, and seeing as how Serge shakes his head when Leena asks him what happans... I mean Leena, an active member of the quest. I think his memories are quickly fleeting, and for a few seconds he still remembers some places.