Author Topic: Post Your Desktop  (Read 5556 times)

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Post Your Desktop
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:28 am »
I tend to restart Firefox whenever it manages to bloat itself up to the point where it's eating 30% or so of my RAM--this is an older comp, so I've only got 1GB.  Usually, that's every couple of days.  I'd hoped that they'd fixed that leak in Firefox 3 (haven't upgraded from 2.0.0.19 yet because of a problem with an extension)--is it really still there?  Urgh.

I'd probably maximise windows a lot of the time even if I were running a much larger display, simply because I find that seeing bits and pieces of other stuff beside or sticking out from under the window I'm working with is distracting when I'm doing certain sorts of things.  ::Shrug::

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »
I have no clue how much memory or RAM this thing has. All I know about it is that we got it in 2003 and it is LOUD. Like, really loud.

My desktop right now is cluttered... maybe when I do some cleaning I'll post a pic or something. ... and maybe after I change the wallpaper...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 07:30:42 pm »
Rosegarden -- it's just a combined MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor -- by itself it's nothing special. I have a few virtual MIDI input devices (one uses the mouse that I haven't tested, another uses the regular PC keyboard), but since I don't have a real MIDI keyboard, I have to write out notes by hand rather than record them.

Do you prefer this set up? I don't have a midi keyboard; my sequencer uses a score notation and I actually prefer it, because it means that, tedious as that can be, my compositions are not limited by my technical skill as a musician (which is not very good).

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:06 am »
I've got a gig of RAM on both computers and run Firefox without too much problem. Supposedly, it's not a memory leak, as there's things you can do to reduce the RAM usage of FF... I need to go back and check the settings on mine, though...

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:54 am »
Sorry, but it is a leak.

Three completely different Firefox profiles, one on default settings, the others tuned and tweaked for various purposes, to the point that I doubt my normal browsing profile has any significant parameters in common with the default setup.  Memory usage in all of them grows with each page loaded or reloaded, and never goes down, even after the tab or window into which each page was loaded is closed.

There's no reason for the memory usage to gradually grow by four times the disk cache size or more when the set of pages being displayed is unchanged.  "Leak" is the only conclusion that makes sense.  It's possible that it only affects the Linux, or even the 64-bit Linux, version, however.

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 03:59:55 am »
I think you missed the word "supposedly" in my post. According to Windows Task Manager, FF is using 151,000k right now. I searched about it not too long ago and they say it's not a memory leak, but, like you said, when it doesn't decrease after closing all the tabs, there's something wrong, and it's not all my add-ons.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 05:34:36 am »
The current girl on my desktop is Vanessa Lane, a nice enough lithe, fit & flexible pr0n star...idk how much I really needed to place the cover...but w/e...

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:57 am »
I'm a guy that always uses a pure black background. :lol:
Because I rarely see the desktop, usually I keep at last one window maximized.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 10:30:32 am »
Well then YOU sure picked the right topic to post in! :lol:

I usually have some woman on my desktop, though my screensaver sifts through a few folders of various ones...Gives me something to look at when the tv is on a commercial...*shrugs*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:32:03 am by V_Translanka »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:49 pm »
I usually just rotate a picture for the desktop...Colbert one is what I've been rockin' for a long time now.  The Cromartie one was a mainstay for a long time.  If you've seen the actual play the Int. comes from then it adds to the awesomeness.  (picked off Peyton Manning).

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 12:31:03 am »
By Cromartie, I thought you meant this guy.

*I dunno how to attach pictures. Sorry.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2009, 01:34:30 am »
Once you click "Reply" (gotta do that instead of a Quick Reply), just click on "Additional Options" under the text imput box and it should be fairly self-explainatory how to attach from there...You might have to save bigger pics as .jpg or something to fit the size requirement though...

RedNeckJiuJitsu

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2009, 02:16:43 am »
Okay. I gotcha. Reply doesn't show up for me, but hitting "Preview" on the quick reply accomplishes the same thing of taking me to the advanced input where the additional options are. Thanks.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 05:07:22 am »
Okay. I gotcha. Reply doesn't show up for me, but hitting "Preview" on the quick reply accomplishes the same thing of taking me to the advanced input where the additional options are. Thanks.

If it helps, Reply isn't a button or anything. You're just looking for a text link in a row with some others at the top or bottom of each page of threads.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
Why not? It's an excercise in examplification!