Author Topic: Pinning down Regiorra and Regionna  (Read 11523 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Pinning down Regiorra and Regionna
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:51:12 pm »
I had long forgotten about a certain passage in Radical Dreamers:

Quote from: Venus
Before long, the jet black surface of the mirror is filled with what looks like
Regionna.

It then goes on to describe Lucca's orphanage burning. Are we to assume that Lucca's little island was called Regionna? And what of Regiorra? Or did she move?

I find it frustrating that there's so little evidence concerning where these events take place.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Pinning down Regiorra and Regionna
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 01:13:04 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY

Regionna.

It then goes on to describe Lucca's orphanage burning. Are we to assume that Lucca's little island was called Regionna? And what of Regiorra? Or did she move?

I find it frustrating that there's so little evidence concerning where these events take place.

They are probably just random towns on the Zenan mainland.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:02:01 am »
It's weird, since the game implies that Porre has taken over, and is now in the prototype El Nido surrounding. In the begining of the game where you see the island from a birds eye view, You can see Viper Manor, The Shadow Forest and a Termina like place. But ofcourse, these places have different names.. Grezenbul sounds like Termina to me.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:04:19 am »
Zaperking has a point. Since RD is the proto-CC, some of these may not be cities on the Zenan mainland at all. I guess it depends on how much faith one puts on the size of the overworld maps. I'm always of the anti-purist perspective of an entire world the size of ours, and likely in overall geography (with the exception of Zenan) with probably a 1000AD population of at least 100 million (well, simply for genetic diversity, I think that is a neccessity - the entire population of CT and CC combined would hardly total enough to make for a single tribe.) That being said, there would be one hundred thousand settlements or so at the time, scattered around the world. These places could be anywhere, as ZeaLitY said a frustrating proposition. However, they are in all likelihood either on Zenan, or El Nido. Kid does not have the means, nor the inclination, I do not think, for far travelling. She only seeks El Nido to hunt Lynx, as best I can recall. She would remain in the old country for the rest of the time, and this gives the likely location to either, as Graylensman has said, Zenan, or El Nido as Zaperking said. I guess that's all I can do: a paragraph to come to an agreement, as there is nothing that can work contrary to what either has said, so far as I know.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:04:46 am »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Kid does not have the means, nor the inclination, I do not think, for far travelling. She only seeks El Nido to hunt Lynx, as best I can recall. She would remain in the old country for the rest of the time, and this gives the likely location to either, as Graylensman has said, Zenan, or El Nido as Zaperking said.

Don't forget that Kid is travelling with Magil.  If they needed to cross the ocean, I'm sure they could gain passage on a ship.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:47:47 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY

Regionna.

For some reason, the Square's official site for Chrono Cross states that "orphaned as a child, Kid was raised in an orphanage in the Dragon Islands where her accent marked her as a foreigner". I don't know if it has any relevance to anything or if it's a mistake.

Darth Mongoose

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://darthmongoose.hyper-comix.com/home.html
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
Hang on, but that makes no sense because she's supposed to have been raised by Lucca since she was very young. Also, Lucca's orphanage, which just looking at the layout is clearly her old house from CT, is in Guardia!

I always assumed Kid picked up her Cockney (or is it australian?) accent from hanging around with theives after leaving the orphanage. Young children pick up and lose accents quickly. Even if she had a foreign accent, she'd soon lose it in an orphanage.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:49:51 am »
That'd mean that Guardia, Truce, Medina etc. are classified as "the Dragon Islands". And where the hell did the accent come from. If it makes her a foreigner in Guardia, that'd mean that she somehow got a weird accent. But if she was raised in El Nido, then her accent is Guardian... I think it's more like she was raised in Guardia, and when she went to El Nido, she was marked as a foreigner.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:31 am »
I have a theory based entirely on information in the Encyclopedia here. It says Viper Manor was unknowingly constructed on Zeal ruins. To me, that means look at where the Ocean Palace is on the map and find the closest relative position. It's the continent on which the city of Medina resides, near the south, where Melchior lives. Regionna could be the name of the continent. After all, it's widely accepted that the Zenan continent is called Zenan and not Truce, the city.

Maybe he just owns a little shack and that house you see on the CT world map is Viper Manor? Maybe that's a stretch. But think about it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:05:11 am by Mr Bekkler »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 09:43:54 am »
I don't know that Zeal ruins would have fallen in one particular place, but it's possible... Even though in CT we thought of Zenan and Porre as continents, maybe they are more like islands as stated earlier, and smaller islands can be hidden throughout.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:18:51 am »
Let's get this discussion rolling again. I want to pinpoint some of the locations that appear in Radical Dreamers.

~~~

Gerzbuehle
The Acacia Dragoons. They were once an elite force serving General Viper, a powerful man who used to rule the western territory of Gerzbuehle.

Regiorra
During my stay in the remote town of Regiorra, I ended up running into a girl who later joined me, leading to the beginning of all this.
It's a few small envelopes. Opening them, we find a map of Regiorra, three copper coins, and other recently unsent mail.

Regionna
Lord Lynx, as he's formally known, is an aristocrat who governs the Regionna outlands.
Before long, the jet black surface of the mirror is filled with what looks like Regionna.

These are the only times that Gerzbuehle, Regiorra, and Regionna are mentioned in Radical Dreamers (Demiforce's translation, at least). So let's review.

• The Acacia Dragoons once ruled part of Gerzbuehle, specifically the western territory.
  • Kid and Serge met in the remote town of Regiorra. There is nothing else to describe this place.
  • Lord Lynx now governs Regionna. Since he now owns all that was once the Viper Clan's, we can assume that Regionna is part of Gerzbuehle (see bullet point #1).
  • The Mirror of Whispers shows Lucca's orphanage within Regionna.

I'd also like to bring up this image: http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/b/a/f/gfs_18926_1_4.jpg
It appears during the opening sequence, if you wait at the main menu. I'm assuming that is Viper Manor? If so, take notice of the bridge and water on the right side of the image. There are only two bridges in Chrono Trigger: Zenan Bridge, and the bridge leading to Lucca's house.

If my assumptions are correct, I would place Regionna on either side of Zenan Bridge. Perhaps where Dorino once stood? Of course, there are arguments to be had of others locations. In Chrono Cross, Lucca's house is the orphanage and showed no sign of having been moved. Maybe Regionna rests in Truce (though that's not really "west" of anywhere but ocean). And what of the Zeal ruins? Those could be anywhere...

Anyway, those are my two cents. I wonder if there are any differences regarding locations in the Japanese script.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 04:43:58 am »
Those are the only references to those places in the Japanese version as well. Here are the equivalent quotes from the Japanese version.

Gerzbuehle
「以前、西のゲルズブーレを治めていた蛇骨大佐お抱えの、精鋭騎士団だ。

Regiorra:
それがこの辺境の街レジオーラで、ひょんなことから一人の少女と出会って、数多くの事件、冒険にまきこまれることになってしまった。

紙切れは辺境レジオーラの地図と、未使用の便せんだった。

Regionna:
ヤマネコ大君というのは、この辺境のレジオーナを支配する貴族で、キッドの宿敵である。

やがて、漆黒の鏡面に辺境レジオーナの風景が浮かびあがり、その上に次々と影が現れた。

Anyway, those are my two cents. I wonder if there are any differences regarding locations in the Japanese script.
Well, I think someone (utunnels?) said that the manor's only called “Viper Manor” in the Demiforce translation, and I can confirm that. I need to figure out if in the Japanese version the references to the times before Viper's death indicated that they occurred in the mansion the story takes place in.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 05:15:22 am »
I have already checked the location names and found no extra informations.

But maybe you are right, I don't recall there's a place that mentions the manor is exactly the same one. At least not in the main storyline. Although in the "Caught between love and adventure" senario, Vera told Gil that Lynx adopted a girl from a foreign country.

But think about it, in Chrono Cross, the Viper Manor also located far east of Termina, so it is not impossible Viper also built his manor  far from the city in RD.

Satoh

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 06:00:32 am »
I have already checked the location names and found no extra informations.

But maybe you are right, I don't recall there's a place that mentions the manor is exactly the same one. At least not in the main storyline. Although in the "Caught between love and adventure" senario, Vera told Gil that Lynx adopted a girl from a foreign country.

But think about it, in Chrono Cross, the Viper Manor also located far east of Termina, so it is not impossible Viper also built his manor  far from the city in RD.

It is also possible that Viper had multiple mansions, being that he was a seemingly wealthy leader.

This previously posted image: http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/b/a/f/gfs_18926_1_4.jpg
Leads me to this area, http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k99/eremes/vipermanor.png
 for a few reasons. Noted by the red and green dots, there are two mountains which can be seen to be similar areas in the previous image. One being the cliff the on which protagonists stand, and the other being the obvious black mound behind the manor. The "bridge" likewise could in fact be a large pier, as we see in my image, near the base of the lower settlement, which could very well be the crescent shaped city in Kodokami's image, on the right.

Now, due to the off-scale proportions of the original CT map, we don't know how big those cities, piers, or generally any of the topological data is. They could represent country sized settlements, or could all be one small city. This also means that the exact arrangement of the city may differ slightly in reality from that of CT's overworld map. However, there are three basic settlements in both images, both including a larger crescent shaped one, and two smaller ones diagonally across from it. From this information, what we see in the RD image, could point to the manor being in two places on my image, enclosed by blue and magenta respectively. Being that there is a forest around the manor in RD, those are the two most likely places I can spot on the CT map of 1000AD.

On the names Regiorra and Regionna... I have seen many engrish iterations, and strikingly many of them are in native japanese situations... To explain, I have seen developer's documents that write notes in english, such as for instance, the name of a place. When a third party comes to look at these notes, it is easily mistaken that Burger King is in fact Bunger Kirg, or various other falsities. This new name is then transcribed in either english or japanese, as the reader saw it, or, in the case of poor english users, when they write it and mistake a letter.

メ and ナ; ソ and ン; or さ, ち, and き, are all easily mistaken for each other, much like b and d, or  n and r, or rn and m. It's quite possible Regiorra and Regionna are the same place, simply written by two different people.

To better illustrate:
Writer A notes : "Regiorra" on paper in english characters, for whatever reason
Writer B reads this accidentally as : "Regiona"
thus even the kana レジオーナ and レジオーラ both come to exist.

What say you?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:39 pm »
Thanks Vehek and utunnels. So, Viper may have owned multiple mansions? :o

Satoh, I never considered that the "bridge" might be a pier. However, I can't see why Lynx (or Viper for that matter) would choose to live within Porre. For Viper, the Frozen Flame was passed down to him after Guardia fell. Sounds like he's protecting it? If so, makes no sense to protect it within the heart of Porre.

I thought about Regiorra and Regionna being the same place before. The only argument I have against it is that Serge states he met Kid in the "remote town" of Regiorra... And yet they infiltrate Lynx's manor in the same town? Perhaps it really was an error made early on in development, and as such the one town became two.