It's good and fine.
10 (31.3%)
I'm indifferent.
4 (12.5%)
The quality is not up to par.
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: January 07, 2006, 12:24:19 pm

Author Topic: 1/7/06 - How do you like Chrono Symphonic?  (Read 4012 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
1/7/06 - How do you like Chrono Symphonic?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 01:37:18 am »
double post because the edit button is mysteriously missing...

I was actualyl EXTREMELY disappointed by "Confronting the Mystic".  I ahve always pictured this song in a movie, and the number one thing I'm thinking is "one of those songs with all the hoyl chanting voices int he background".

If you're not sure what I mean by that, think of the voices in the background in "Duel of the Fates" and "Battle of the Heroes" from Star Wars.  I just always pictured the battle with Magus to be EXACTLY like that.

So naturally, this was the first song I dled, and I was absolutely positive it would have that in the background... but there was none.  I just really don't see how this was overlooked.  Very disappointed.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 08:44:37 am »
I don't understand the piano-bashing. The piano is a perfectly legitimate part of a theatrical orchestra, and if anything it is underused. Is it possible you're talking about music only for the piano? Because even then I would still argue that pianos have a place in film soundtracks, but I do think I'd agree with you that it would be a bit narrow-minded to compose an epic film soundtrack entirely for the piano, as opposed to using a full orchestra that included scoring for the piano. But, then again, I'm not sure you were making that extreme of a statement. Perhaps instead you just need more exposure to film soundtracks. If you're not paying close attention, sometimes the piano can be easy to miss amid the bigger sounds, but nonetheless it is a mainstay in modern orchestra. I distinctly recall piano being employed in the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars films--sometimes very creatively! I took your assertion to the contrary as an exuse to listen to the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack again, and indeed the piano features prominently throughout the film, from the ice planet battle sequences at the beginning to the "Rebel Fleet and End Title" at the end. In fact, there are at least two pianos in that soundtrack. John Williams, maestro of the Star Wars films, got his start on the piano. I believe he said in an interview once that even today he still begins most of his composition on the piano. I also happened to remember that "The Battle of Endor III" (from Return of the Jedi) calls upon the piano when Darth Vader dies. I listened to the piece just to be sure. Now, I'm not going to listen to the full soundtracks of the eight remaining films (including RotJ) just to convince you, so don't take my word for it: Listen to these fine soundtracks yourself, and keep an ear out for the piano!

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 12:53:09 pm »
Many musicians DO start their compositions out on the piano, because that is often waht they are most familiar with, and its easiest to take notes, compose quickly on, etc.  Then they usuall transfer it over to an instrument that more suited for whatever particular effect their going for.

I wasn't bashing the piano so much, as saying that it was used too often.

Norstein Bekkler

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.something.com
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 02:22:46 pm »
To me, the only masterpiece there is the firts track. I'm just OK for this project.

Like someone said, their overated "synth" approach wasnt really nice. Sometimes I just think some CT Ressurection songs would be better... BUT their goal was to to a "soundtrack for a movie", and I dont know if others songs would fit in a film.

But I'm not complaining, I know it isnt easy to do such a thing. I was just to much excited BEFORE the release, so when it came it didnt overcome my expectations. Maybe I was just to excited.

Tony

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
in my very own opinion...
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 01:49:06 am »
I think the work done here is really great, even with that critics for the vocals of "to far away times", I think it is a great moving song, and the lyrics are in my opinion excelent (except for it singing in bilingual). But at the end I feel that with all the "cinematic" and "symphonic" thing they left aside a lot of what Yasunori Mitsuda is, it just doesn't feel like him. To me Yasunori Mitsuda has some "experimental" in his works and that "experimental" part is missing on chrono symphonic. I know a lot of people would complain if this where "experimental" but I think that would have being more like Mitsuda's style. To certain point, Chrono Trigger was all about experimenting with new things.

Anyway, the arragements are a great work.

Greetings.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 01:27:13 pm »
I like a few of the songs, as an avid fan of Chrono Trigger music... the others don't seem true to the original to me. I was kind of disappointed with the remixes of "Brink of Time" and "Gaurdia Castle ~ Pride and Courage" which was over-remixed in my opinion, with unfamiliar variations. The quality was great, though, and I would like to see more.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 12:50:01 am »
What truly disappointed me that there was no song that was speciifically World Revolution...  World Revolution was a good song, and the Symphonic missed it.