Author Topic: 65 Million B.C.  (Read 900 times)

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
65 Million B.C.
« on: January 04, 2006, 07:05:36 pm »
I'm at the moment going to be working on 65 Million B.C.

List of things and progress

This stuff I know I can handle so I'll do it first:
10% B.C. Overworld map
05% B.C. Location maps
00% B.C. Location strings

I'll do if I can keep up to pace:
00% B.C. Dungeons
00% B.C. Dungeon Strings

Not claimed by me, but maybe after some practice I can do it:
00% B.C. Singing Mountain
00% B.C. Singing Mountain enemies

If I forgot anything post or edit this one.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:37:42 am »
First screenshot of what I've done.

I placed the huts inside the now expanded forest refuge-ish like area.

Also moved an outpost to the entrance, and a second outpost ontop of the hill where it'd have a better vantage point. (although with the reptites gone and me not yet having read plot stuff not sure if they are needed really)

The reptite layer is now replaced with crater Lavos created as would make sense.

All entrances work and lead to the old hut rooms so no changes made to any of that (hopefully if I can avoid it no changes to the destined rooms will need to take place.)

Comments, Criticism, Compliments, or Changes are all appreciated.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:43:35 am »
*Edit*
I've run into a problem. When I reopen to ROM all my changes are saved but the pallet change on the lava tiles is not. Also, the tiles are animated, I'm sure that the strings for the overworld deals with it, but I'm a bit too tired right now to figure that one out. So any info on these things would be awesome.
*End Edit*

I had an idea that the lava flows should be stopped because it would help add to the Ice Age thing a bit. So I figured if we could somehow change the red lava to a black lava field. As luck should have it, I did a few pallete shifts on the lava tiles and one of them turned out perfect. So we can now have dead lava fields if we should choose to do so, I happen to think they look pretty nice, but it's up to you guys. I couldn't shift the volcanoes to the right color, so I removed them and replaced them with large mountains.

Interestingly these dormant volcanoes are made up of two different tilesets and some creative tile placement. Although you'd have a hard time telling I believe. So hooray. =]

Also, I've begun to cull back the grass and foliage a bit because it's supposed to be getting colder so theres one other place not shown here where I pulled out a patch of trees, nothing to really show off. So here's the updated map.

If anyone has any thoughts on recoloring some things to add white snow to them I'm not sure how all that works, but I'd be willing to do it if someone showed me.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 08:50:46 pm »
I could use some feedback on the little things I've done just because I don't really know where else to go with this, and I'm hoping for a revised/non-forum thread version of the plot at some point (because I can't really trust ideas that are spread through a 41 page thread too much). So this going in the right direction? Wrong direction? anything? at all?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:00:05 pm »
We're going to see later if we can add snow to the 65000000 B.C. overworld via events. Right now, it looks fantastic; hopefully the palette shift problem will be corrected and we can have cooled lava. The plains are dying out nicely, and the huts on the fringe are good.

Can a player walk along the north shore until he or she reaches the top of the lava field? If not, can the shore be extended north a little so this is possible? We can place the cave refuge entrance right at the north part of the lava field (it will be facing north, not the player).

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 10:11:10 pm »
I'm working on making the north beach walkable as soon as I finish typing this.

One quick thing though is the hunting grounds. I was thinking of maybe removing them? Just a thought, with the coming ice age that area would likely fall apart. I'll leave it unaffected for now though.

Thank you for the quick response too =]

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:49:11 pm »
I don't think we've figured out anything for the Hunting Range. Well, just in case we have to add it back in, leave it for now. Also, I like how those new mountains in the lava fields now have cones...the tileset really came together for that.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 11:23:03 pm »
I did a little stuff here and there and made the north coast walkable, it now leads... Screw it, I'll get a pic up =p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/JossiRossi/CTCE/BCJan9.png
*Image was too big, so it's here now*

Changes:
Trimmed a bit off of the hunting grounds, but the entrance is unchanged.

I extended the North coast a little bit to add walking space.

Added a cave entrance to the plateau wall.

Also numerous changes here and there. I actually find the B.C. to be the most poorly made on in CT, so when I spot a thing or two I don't like I fix it. Always a small thing like a tile here and there, easy to change back if I do something dumb.

Question:
How big of an area is the cave sanctuary place? I'm trying to make all the B.C. exits lead to B.C. rooms to prevent any confusion. Just going to mentally think of what area would be most appropriate for the room to be.

Comments:
As for the mountains =p I got REAL lucky on those. Right now when I look at it, there's things I rather dislike, however that is only when the lava is red. When I have it set to black it looks great =]

Also it might be a possibility to make a cave lead into one of the volcanoes. The lava would have cooled, and so in theory there could be lava tubes inside the volcanoe. Just a possibility, not sure why anyone would go into a cooled lava tube, and it'd be relatively plain and empty, but maybe an idea worth exploring.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 07:37:44 am »

Started work on the locations a bit. All the people in this room say new things. Not much but a start. Then edit the other already present things (like change how the girl walks, maybe change an animation) start slow until I do all new stuff and rework the room itself. Not too big, but hey I'm proud of myself for not blowing up my rom =]

Also thanks to Hadriel for getting me the relevant parts of the plot to me in a PM.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 06:53:55 pm »
Keep up the great work

--jp

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 07:45:39 pm »
Ideally, the dormant volcanos should be less peaky, but I don't know if it's hard to do so take this as a little remark, not a critic.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
65 Million B.C.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 03:27:51 pm »
I was wondering what number/layers you were changing that weren't saving.  I tried it on my rom and it seemed to save fine, though my map looks terrible because I just used a random number.

--jp