Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 149054 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2006, 12:02:56 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
It is worth noting the "find them..." part in 2 and 9 mean in war. Specifically 9 (Taubah) is the Surah talking about a broken treaty. And yes, don't most people kill each other in war? And hey, becoming a slave in an Islamic System is better then being dead.
I'll get back to you once I find that book...

Yeah, I can see how killing people because of religion, or going to war because of religion, is a sane thing to do.  Just ask Josh, he loved it when Christians did it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but "love it" is not the phrase that comes to mind when I think of a cadre of blind Christian fanatics slaughtering the innocent and corrupting the fabric of societies all over the world for generations.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2006, 12:16:33 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Quote from: Sentenal
It is worth noting the "find them..." part in 2 and 9 mean in war. Specifically 9 (Taubah) is the Surah talking about a broken treaty. And yes, don't most people kill each other in war? And hey, becoming a slave in an Islamic System is better then being dead.
I'll get back to you once I find that book...

Yeah, I can see how killing people because of religion, or going to war because of religion, is a sane thing to do.  Just ask Josh, he loved it when Christians did it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but "love it" is not the phrase that comes to mind when I think of a cadre of blind Christian fanatics slaughtering the innocent and corrupting the fabric of societies all over the world for generations.

I was being sarcastic.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2006, 12:45:17 am »
Ah, well then! *decks you*
There's room for tough humor in our relationship after all. =)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Quote Digest
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2006, 12:48:21 am »
Ahem. On other news...
“A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”

Lawrence G. Lovasik

Wow. I really split the relationship of the forumites, haven't I?

Sentenal

• View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 01:03:19 am »
Ahem. On other news...
“A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”

Lawrence G. Lovasik

Wow. I really split the relationship of the forumites, haven't I?

I only get a superiority complex when I get comforable around a group of people :)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 01:27:27 am »
Religion should be a set of guidelines for living, not a reason for war. Historically speaking, this has been abided by. People dont go to war because the other people dont believe in thier religion: in the past, and even in the present climate, leaders had other agendas (money, friends, whatever) and to facilitate and legitimise that, they came up with an excuse: THOSE PEOPLE ARE BLASPHEMERS! KILL THEM!

Not all THAT relevant to the discussion, but a nugget I thought I would just insert.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Quote Digest
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 01:45:31 am »
That's the thing. Palestine isn't fighting Israel for religion. I was then thinking-hang on, then why are they fighting? They aren't fighting FOR religion, they are fighting WITH religion. If someone takes your home, fight back! (Someone was telling me this. I think it was Sentenal) A martyr isn't only someone who dies during Jihad, it is also a woman that dies during childbirth (though that doesn't mean if you have the chance to live you shouldn't take that option, as the mother is the main carer of the child), a person who drowns, and a person who dies protecting their wealth, family or house. The problem is, the same thing applies to Israel.
Anyways, if it wasn't the Arabs who took over Jeruselam long ago, it would've been the Egyptians, Christians or Ethiopians.
Plus, lets stop with Palestine (since we have Hamas and the ol' Land Rights Debate) and Christianity (a split may be in progress)

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”
— Mark Twain

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Quote Digest
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 02:05:31 am »
I know I'm double posting, but...
Quote from: Napoleon Bonaparte
A celebrated people lose dignity upon a closer view.

A Constitution should be short and obscure.

A leader is a dealer in hope.

A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

A revolution can be neither made nor stopped. The only thing that can be done is for one of several of its children to give it a direction by dint of victories.

A revolution is an idea which has found its bayonets.

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

A throne is only a bench covered with velvet.

A true man hates no one.

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

Ambition never is in a greater hurry that I; it merely keeps pace with circumstances and with my general way of thinking.

An army marches on its stomach.

Courage is like love; it must have hope for nourishment.

Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

Doctors will have more lives to answer for in the next world than even we generals.

England is a nation of shopkeepers.

Every soldier carries a marshall's baton in his pack.

Few things are brought to a sucessful issue by impetuous desire, but most by calm and prudent forethought.

Forethought we may have, undoubtedly, but not foresight.

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets.

From the heights of these pyramids, forty centuries look down on us.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.

Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principals which direct them.

He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.

He who knows how to flatter also knows how to slander.

History is a set of lies agreed upon.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.

I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other.

I can no longer obey; I have tasted command, and I cannot give it up.

I have only one counsel for you - be master.

I love power. But it is as an artist that I love it. I love it as a musician loves his violin, to draw out its sounds and chords and harmonies.

I made all my generals out of mud.

If I always appear prepared, it is because before entering an undertaking, I have meditated long and have foreseen what might occur. It is not genius where reveals to me suddenly and secretly what I should do in circumstances unexpected by others; it is thought and preparation.

If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god.

If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots.

If you start to take Vienna - take Vienna.

If you want a thing done well, do it yourself.

If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything, deliver nothing.

Imagination rules the world.

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.

In order to govern, the question is not to follow out a more or less valid theory but to build with whatever materials are at hand. The inevitable must be accepted and turned to advantage.

In politics stupidity is not a handicap.

It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr.

It requires more courage to suffer than to die.

Let France have good mothers, and she will have good sons.

Let the path be open to talent.

Medicines are only fit for old people.

Men are more easily governed through their vices than through their virtues.

Men are Moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

Men take only their needs into consideration - never their abilities.

Music of all the arts has the most influence on the passions and the legislator should give it the greatest encouragement.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.

One must change one's tactics every ten years if one wishes to maintain one's superiority.

One should never forbid what one lacks the power to prevent.

Power is my mistress. I have worked too hard at her conquest to allow anyone to take her away from me.

Public opinion is the thermometer a monarch should constantly consult.

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

Respect the burden.

Riches do not consist in the possession of treasures, but in the use made of them.

Skepticism is a virtue in history as well as in philosophy.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

The act of policing is, in order to punish less often, to punish more severely.

The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.

The best cure for the body is a quiet mind.

The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.

The extent of your consciousness is limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with your love the space around you, and all it contains.

The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue.

The French complain of everything, and always.

The great proof of madness is the disproportion of one's designs to one's means.

The herd seek out the great, not for their sake but for their influence; and the great welcome them out of vanity or need.

The human race is governed by its imagination.

The infectiousness of crime is like that of the plague.

The people to fear are not those who disagree with you, but those who disagree with you and are too cowardly to let you know.

The strong man is the one who is able to intercept at will the communication between the senses and the mind.

The surest way to remain poor is to be an honest man.

The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny.

There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit.

There are only two forces that unite men - fear and interest.

There are two levers for moving men - interest and fear.

There is one kind of robber whom the law does not strike at, and who steals what is most precious to men: time.

There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Vanity made the [French] Revolution; liberty was only a pretext.

Victory belongs to the most persevering.

War is the business of barbarians.

Water, air, and cleanness are the chief articles in my pharmacy.

We must laugh at man to avoid crying for him.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?

When I want any, good head work done; I always choose a man, if possible with a long nose.

When small men attempt great enterprises, they always end by reducing them to the level of their mediocrity.

With audacity one can undertake anything, but not do everything.

Women are nothing but machines for producing children.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.

You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 05:47:57 am »
In other breaking news, the UN, the US  and other major aid donaters giving hundreds of millions of dollars to Palestine in aid, have threatened to withdraw this aid if Palestine won't cease hostilities towards Israel and facilitate the roadmap to peace.

Predictably, the Palestinians have said that they wont disarm, even though thier new leader has begged the major doners to continue supplying aidto palestine, and promises that it will be spent in a transperant manner, going towards basic infrastructure.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Quote Digest
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2006, 04:47:48 am »
Dude, why did you bring it up in the Quote Digest? I thought we agreed to break it off (hypocrisy shines)

Anonymous

Quote Digest
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2006, 04:35:42 pm »
Well I better save this thread before you guys kill it.  8)

Quote from: Frog AKA Glenn Pimptastic
Lower thine guard and thou'rt allowing the enemy in.

Such a simple yet intellegent thing to say. If you let your guard down your enemies will overtake you.

Quote from: Leon S. Kennedy
She's like a part of me I can't let go. Let's leave it at that.

This is a very insightful yet tragedic take on ones own struggles with the opposite sex. Even though Leon knows he can't have Ada, she is still a very important part of Leon's life/personality. It's a very noble way of accepting his fate.

Quote from: May Parker
I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.

I don't think I need to really say anything about this line. It speaks for itself.

Quote from: Ben Parker
With great power comes great responsibility.

These Parkers really dish out the money quotes don't they? This is somethign that I think most politicionas seem to forget on thier rise to the top. Everyone can learn from this, it is very insightful.

Quote from: Glen Bateman
Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.

For those unfamiliar this is from Stephen King's novel The Stand. It makes you realize how predictable human nature truly is in terms of social settings. No matter how many times you start over, you'll always end up in the same predicament.

More to come...

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Quote Digest
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »
Twas I who made this post.

Quote from: Anonymous
Well I better save this thread before you guys kill it.  8)

Quote from: Frog AKA Glenn Pimptastic
Lower thine guard and thou'rt allowing the enemy in.

Such a simple yet intellegent thing to say. If you let your guard down your enemies will overtake you.

Quote from: Leon S. Kennedy
She's like a part of me I can't let go. Let's leave it at that.

This is a very insightful yet tragedic take on ones own struggles with the opposite sex. Even though Leon knows he can't have Ada, she is still a very important part of Leon's life/personality. It's a very noble way of accepting his fate.

Quote from: May Parker
I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.

I don't think I need to really say anything about this line. It speaks for itself.

Quote from: Ben Parker
With great power comes great responsibility.

These Parkers really dish out the money quotes don't they? This is somethign that I think most politicionas seem to forget on thier rise to the top. Everyone can learn from this, it is very insightful.

Quote from: Glen Bateman
Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.

For those unfamiliar this is from Stephen King's novel The Stand. It makes you realize how predictable human nature truly is in terms of social settings. No matter how many times you start over, you'll always end up in the same predicament.

More to come...

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2006, 04:54:51 pm »
So wait, Zeppelin, the Arabs are fighting us with a JIHAD to get out land, and you tell us NOT to bring religion into this?

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Quote Digest
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2006, 06:31:06 pm »
There are only three excuses you'll ever need:

1. It was like that when I got here.

2. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

3. I plead the Fifth.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Quote Digest
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2006, 11:21:12 pm »
Quote from: Jean Valjean
Look down, Javert! He's standing in his grave! Give way, Javert! There is a life to save!

Quote from: Javert
Go now Valjean, before I change my mind. I will be waiting, 24601...

This is the brief interlude just before Javert's suicide in Les Miserables. It captures perfectly the moment that Javert understands the dichotomy between his worldview and Valjeans. To Valjean, life is of ultimate importance. To Javert, law and order are of ultimate importance.