Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 149995 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Quote Digest
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:34:57 am »
Venture your most passionate and inspirational quotes.

Quote from: William Hutchinson Murray

(1913 - 1996) Mountain Climber, Scottish Author

The Scottish Himalaya Expedition, 1951

"But when I said that nothing had been done I erred in one important matter. We had definitely committed ourselves and were halfway out of our ruts. We had put down our passage money--booked a sailing to Bombay. This may sound too simple, but is great in consequence. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, the providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"

Quote from: Winston Churchill
If you're going through hell, keep going.

Quote from: Jimi Hendrix
If I'm free, it's because I'm always running.

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Quote from: Bruce Lee
Optimism is a faith that leads to success.

All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.

Circumstances hell! I make circumstances!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. Adapt!

If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, If I tell you I'm no good, You know I'm lying.

There are lots of guys around the world that are lazy. They have big fat guts. They talk about chi power and things they can do, but don't believe it.

Use only that which works, and take it from any place you find it.

Quote from: Gemma's quote about Naruto, translated by crustol
Although beaten, he kept thinking of a next move.

The power to believe in yourself -- that will become the power to change fate.

He knows that, and he knows it instinctively.

Quote from: Yondaime
Under the courageous, there is nothing.

Quote from: Rock Lee
The springtime of youth waits for no one!

Hard work.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Fortes Fortuna Aduvat.

Quote from: Sir Edmund Hillary, first to climb Everest
Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.

People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.

You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated.

Quote from: Chrono Cross Frozen Flame
Fargo: Ha ha ha!!
   Arrgh, what are you
   trying to tell me, Flame?
   You say that we are all
   born in sin and all die
   in sin?
   Well, I say that is why we
   should continue to sin,
   then....
   Ha ha ha ha ha!
   Yet, is not the very
   reason we go on living so
   that we can make ammends
   for our sins!?

Pierre:
   I understand now!
   A true hero knows
   fear...
   And yet while knowing
   fear, he still has the
   courage to put up a
   fight!
   If moi lack the caliber
   to be called such then
   moi will just have to
   work harder!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 05:43:37 am »
I have collected an entire book of quotes, ever-growing! Here are a few...

Quote from: Albert Einstein
“The world as we see it is only the world as we see it. Others may see it differently.”

It's not that I'm a relativist, but it is good to remember in the heat of an argument that everybody has a reason for being where and who they are.

“Quod erat demonstrandum.”

Which was the thing to be proven...

Quote from: T.S. Eliot
“We shall never cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.”

This is why materialism is rejected by so many people: They cannot bother themselves to take the time and trouble to invest in their corporeal existence. It doesn't matter if you eat one orange, or twenty, if you do not bother to taste what you eat, or appreciate what you have, or enjoy what you are. Religion offers easy lies; the physical world offers difficult truths. To stand back and observe the world from afar, to immerse oneself in the cusp of a single moment, to focus on the smallest leaf, and to travel the world and see all the leaves...is the only way to know this place in the slightest.

“White signifies Purity and Innocence; Red, Hardiness and Valor; and Blue, Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice.”

Looks like these colors ran after all. Tsk tsk. Depravity, America. Indolence. Blood on your hands; sloth in your hearts; villainy in your minds. The only color left for this country is shit brown, for the great big pile we've tossed ourselves into.

Quote from: Albert Einstein
“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

Another Einstein quote, and one that I have to live out unfortunately all too often.

Quote from: Adlai Stevenson
“My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.”

And that, my friends, is why Adlai Stevenson is dead.

“From the cowardice
That shrinks from new truths,
From the laziness
That is content with half-truths,
And from the arrogance
That thinks it knows all truth.
O God of truth,
deliver us.”

This is an old Hebrew prayer. It perfectly depicts the cowardice of the Religious Right, the ignorance of the teeming masses, and the self-serving arrogance of types like Daniel Krispin. All three are in abundance in this world; this is one reason why the truth is so important, and why I sometimes get people mad at me by calling bullshit on them instead of letting bygones be bygones.

Quote from: Wong-kei Ying
“A hero lives but a few moments, but a master holds on to his life.”

From a kung fu movie, yes, but important! We romanticize heroes unduly in this world; we call a thing "hero" who has no business wearing the title. We debase the word, and dilute it. And in our eagerness to devalue the label, those who wear the label also become devalued. Hence, the intrigue of this particular quote.

“In the beginning there was nothing. And God said let there be light and there was...nothing. (But at least you could see it.)”

Amen.

“To the degree that you impose your values upon others, they cease to be values and instead become judgments.”

Another lesson for the Religious Right to keep in mind when they proclaim to be living out Jesus' teachings. So, are any straight people in Massachusetts still married anymore?

“If you’re right you’ll never need to blow your stack, and if you’re wrong you never should.

This is one of those truisms that is easier said than done. Nevertheless, in this time when our tempers are under control, it may do us well to contemplate the wisdom of restraining one's anger wherever possible.

“‘After the meal green tea will be available to lift the astronaut’s spirits,’ the scientist said, perhaps overlooking the possibility that being the first Chinese astronaut might not be a big enough ego boost.”

CNN wrote this on the subject of the menu for China’s first space flight.

Quote from: Robert Heinlein
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

I often hear people say they are too busy, or too overworked, or too overwhelmed, to undertake fruitful enterprises. Many bad decisions are indefensible once the logic of Heinlein is taken into account. We must simply fess up, and, more than that, resolve not to let our mistakes recur.

Quote from: Hillaire Belloc
“Whatever happens
We have got
The Maxim gun
And they have not.”

Pithily written on the subject of British technological superiority circa 1900.

“Survival of the fittest.
Adios,

Unfit”

A 70-year-old man’s valedictory note; he jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Quote from: Robert Heinlein
“They didn’t want it good, they wanted it Wednesday.”

Another Heinlein quip.

Quote from: Isolde
“You can’t make a point by being extreme in a compulsively extreme culture. From now on, I’m going to rebel by being quietly moderate.”

The first sentence is is one of the most underappreciated truths of our time. The second is open to interpretation...but what else is one to do?

“See the world as yourself, and then you can care for all things.”

I am forever astounded by how cruel people can be, to other people, to their environment, to their pets and belongings...it simply asounds me. We should do so well to remember ourselves when we deal with life.

Quote from: Celes Chere
“You want to live in this world the way it is? No? Then do something about it!”

Just don't get caught up in the "being extreme" boat, unless you know what you're doing. And you don't. In any case, meaningful change often begins with the simplest of choices, and the easiest of behaviors. Persistance, now that's hard.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
“Writing—the art of communicating thoughts to the mind—is the great invention of the world....Great, very great, in enabling us to converse with the dead, the absent, and the unborn, at all distances of time and space, and great not only in its direct benefits, but its great help to all other inventions.”

Perhaps explaining why Lincoln lives on even today...

Quote from: Robert W. Lucky
“In the final stages, before the user revolution occurs, word processing programs would begin to criticize our ideas. ‘Let me give a counterargument,’ the paper clip would begin.”

I fear many people would be no match for that spunky little paperclip.

Quote from: Maxim Myslivets
“So you see, even a fifth-grade schoolchild can solve second-order linear differential equations…sometimes.”

Once upon a time my Math 307 teacher explained a special case differential equation that is surprisingly straightforward, simple, and even fun. A fifth-grader really could solve it! Now, as for all the other differential equations out there...

Quote from: Julius Caesar
“If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.”

One of history's greatest minds speaks one of history's greatest pearls of practical knowledge. When we are under the law, we do well to obey it.

“I'm having a suspicion that ‘moral values’ means ‘anti-gay, anti-women, anti-science, anti-personal-liberty and anti-free-speech.’”

Remember the Republicans' "Culture of Life"? 1984 may have been a little late, but it got here.

Quote from: ZeaLitY
“These Wheel of Time people make no sense to me. I've met some before, and they seem totally absorbed in some fantasy world.”

I thought I'd post that one since our beloved Dear Leader of the Compendium earned a place in my Quote Book because of it.

Quote from: Wil Wheaton
“It’s raining here, and there’s a pretty strong breeze blowing across my backyard. There’s a tiny hummingbird with a shiny green breast sitting on a telephone wire that connects to the eave just above my office window...the wire’s moving all over the place, but he’s not letting go for anything. That’s cool.”

Am I the only one who reads Wil's blog?

“Contrary to popular belief, social validation won't make you complete.”

It takes a lot of courage, but we must understand that the mob is not the ultimate authority in this world. Peer pressure is usually worth resisting--or, better yet, avoiding altogether. A little aloofness, a little solitude...these would salve the wounds of many-a-poor soul.

Quote from: Irvin Kershner
“Yoda’s philosophy was quite simplistic. ‘If you get angry, you’re gonna lose.’ ‘Don't try, do.’ He has a basic philosophy that is very charming. Not very profound, although young people consider it profound. I wish they would read more.”

Irvin Kershner directed The Empire Strikes Back, the best Star Wars film. I mention his quote here because I think people bow too readily, too easily, to philosophies that may look nice, but have no real depth to them. Star Wars and its Force is just such a thing.

Quote from: Mark Twain
“Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.”

This one must not be taken literally. What it means is that the journey to a destination is seldom straightforward, and sometimes telling the truth to people does less a service for them and even for civilization itself than not telling it. It is very important to promulgate the truth, but often you have to be cunning about it. Hence, I would say that deceit is in truth's employ.

Quote from: Charles Towne
“It’s like the beaver told the rabbit as they stared at the Hoover Dam. ‘No, I didn’t build it myself. But it’s based on an idea of mine!’”

I just think this one's cute. Mr. Towne invented the laser.

Quote from: D.C. Simpson
“Hayao Miyazaki’s movies are for people who find their most elaborate dreams fascinating. I am one of those people, so I am a big fan.”

Me too.

Quote from: Virginia Woolf
“Why are women so much more interesting to men than men are to women?”

Why? Because the world is drowning in sexism. All these things relate back to each other, you know.

Quote from: Socrates
“There is but one good, knowledge; and but one evil, ignorance.”

Five years ago, I thought I had been to discover the universe's ultimate truth. And here Socrates came up with it over two thousand years ago. I tell ya, it's hard to be original anymore!

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”

I fear it's the latter. What do you think?

Quote from: Voltaire
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

The legacy of Christianity, QED. But don't rest on your laurels yet, ye nonbelievers. Religion hasn't got a monopoly on this one. Be careful!

~~~
And of course my personal life's motto:

Quote from: Mr. Spock
“There are always…possibilities.”

Don't you forget it.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:48:14 am »
STICKY THIS PLEASE!

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:07:25 pm »
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Quote from: General George Patton
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Quote from: General George Patton
"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man."

Quote from: HK-47
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope...Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds.

Well, there are some quotes from George Patton, and what HK-47 (hes the assassin droid from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) thinks love is.  I probably have more, somewhere, but these are the only good ones readily avaliable right now.

Daniel Krispin

Quote Digest
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 06:28:56 pm »
Ooo... good quotes there. I wonder... Lord J, do you know if Caesar said that before or after he marched on Rome? Oh, and I'm not quite up on my Latin... what does that one Latin one mean? I quite enjoy quotes in all their forms (the Oxford book of quotations is something to be picked up in moderation, as one can become amazed with just how many clever phrases people have come up with in history.)
Now, there are probably a hundred quotes that I could consider good - likely more, and I think think there are probably a hundred that I like and have merely forgotten. I mean, a full half of Shakespeare is almost worthy of quotes. Just reading through your lists there I find that most of them are clever in their own ways. I'll just consider a few. Let's see...

Just for the sake of style, and overall importance to western literature (and the influence the book had on me as a whole):

Quote from: Homer
Sing, goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus
and its devestation, which put pain thousandfold upon the Achaians
Hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls
of heroes, but gave their bodies to be the delicate feasting
of dogs, of all birds, and the will of Zeus was accomplished
since that time when first there stood in division of conflict
Atreus' son the lord of men, and brilliant Achilleus

Popularally, this is from Orff's music. But the lyrics themselves are from a 13th century work. I rather like the whole two songs based around the idea of the variance of Fortune, but I suppose this short quote sums it all up.

Quote from: Carmina Burana: Fortuna Imperiatix Mundi: O Fortuna

O Fortuna
velut Luna
statu variabilis
trans:
O Fortune
like the moon
you are ever changing

And here, an ancient Greek saying that I am so very fond of:
Quote from: The Classical Greeks

Pathei Mathos
trans:
Wisdom through suffering

And here, from the end of Oedipus Tyrannus, and echoing the wisdom of Solon... this was a common idea amongst the Greeks. Essentially... one never knows what misfortune will befall. If things are going well, prepare for ruin.
Quote from: The Classical Greeks
Count no mortal happy till he has passed the final limit of his life secure from pain.

Quote from: (I forget, but often quoted by my father)
When someone ceases believing in God they will not believe nothing, they will believe anything.

Here is Tolkien's deft explanation for how the all benevolent God of his stories could allow evil and sufferings:
Quote from: Tolkien
Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought in to Ea, and evil yet be good to have been.

Advice for moderation from Ecclesiastes.
Quote from: King Solomon (reputedly)

Do not be overrighteous,
neither be overwise -
why destroy yourself?
Do not be overwicked,
and do not be a fool -
why die before your time?
It is good to grasp the one
and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

Honestly, I could think of a hundred others, and to compile a list of favourites for me is nearly impossible. But these certainly rank amongst them. Like I said, I love quotes, and just reading through everyone else's I think 'wow, history has sure produced a manifold number of wonderful writers'. But, Lord J, I would contest one thing: differential equations are never fun. Okay, that's a joke, but truthfully, I've never been good at them. I am fortunate that all such classes dealing with them are behind me. But actually, I've heard the sentiments of that quote before in one of my engineering classes.

But hey, do you notice a trend in each person's quotes? ZeaLitY is mostly about perseverence and striving forward in the face of difficulty. Lord J has a certain intellectual streak - knowledge and understanding above all. And I've got a rather grim fate-centered trend. Funny, eh?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 11:11:57 am »
A grudging “welcome back” to the General board, Daniel. (What is your real name, anyway?) Now let’s not hijack yet another thread, yes? You are old enough to behave yourself.

Quote from: Daniel Krispin
…do you know if Caesar said that before or after he marched on Rome?

As told by Cicero, in his De Officiis.

Ah, Julius Caesar! One of history’s most well-known sinistrals, and the namesake of my birth month. He revived an ailing republic, preserved countless historical writings, and crucially influenced the shape of the world to this very day. Dante assigned his betrayers the cruelest punishment in Hell, and, against all democratic tradition, there were no few people in his time who wanted him to put on that crown—which he never did. He is still one of the greatest people our species has ever produced. He had another quote:

I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome.

Such beautiful ambition was perhaps the inspiration for Milton when he wrote Satan's famous line centuries later. And of course with such a mindset, Caesar ultimately surmounted his own poetic dilemma and achieved the status of being first in Rome after all.

But his greatest quote of all, in my mind, is perhaps one from whose contemplation you might emerge the richer:

“Libenter homines et id quod volunt, credunt.”

“What men wish, they like to believe.”

Oh, and I'm not quite up on my Latin... what does that one Latin one mean?

As I said in my commentary below the quote, it means (more or less) “…which was the thing to be proven.” It is most commonly used nowadays as an exclamation to indicate that one has successfully completed an argument. Often it is abbreviated to “QED.”

Pathei Mathos

There’s something else I know a little about. (Dealing with you being one good example.) Obviously it is an adage you hold deeply in your personal philosophy. We’re not so far apart in that respect, but in my case I do not shut out the parallel truth: “Wisdom through pleasure.”

But hey, do you notice a trend in each person's quotes? ZeaLitY is mostly about perseverence and striving forward in the face of difficulty. Lord J has a certain intellectual streak - knowledge and understanding above all.

Interesting you should put it that way. I do see the difference between Z’s quotes and mine, but I would not describe it like that.

…silence is wisdom you have yet to learn…

If only you knew! On this occasion I am tempted to share something about my personal life that develops your statement into an irony. But I suppose your politeness is simple courtesy, and you aren’t terribly interested in the real Josh, but only your caricature of him. Well, so be it. Now that you have recovered from your last experience with me, you are welcome back here, and I do mean it. But remember that Solomon you quoted, in your own interest. Your lovely sermon is no more than an eloquent string of insults, which naught but reinforces what I said earlier about your arrogance. If you weren’t so caught up in yourself, you might see that. And I don’t blame you for being cross with me! You are, after all, human like the rest of us.

Ah, but these things are neither here nor there, and I am out of quotes!

Well…there is always my new sig. And, perhaps, just one more:

Quote from: Tacitus
“Omne ignotum pro magnifico est.”

“We have great notions of everything unknown.”

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
Quote Digest
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 04:33:38 pm »
Let's see... a few of my own here. Maybe I'll think of some more later.

All I know is that I know nothing else. The rest is just guesses.

In my darkest hour, I looked deep within myself. I searched for meaning; I searched for a piece of God. I found nothing, so that's what I believe in now.

Quote from: Pete Townshend
There's no easy way to be free.

Entire books have been written defining Good and Evil. I can define each in one word. Good: Us. Evil: Them.

You claim the forces of good will always triumph, but you've got cause and effect mixed up. The forces that triumph always call themselves good.

Knowledge is not a zero-sum game.

JossiRossi

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • Http://spriteville.comicgen.com
Quote Digest
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 05:07:47 pm »
Whenever I read a quote, and realize if was taken not by an outside party, but the writer themselves, I can't help but wonder what kind of ridiculous self important image that person must have. -JossiRossi

Joke. Joke. I just happen to like irony.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 06:38:25 pm »
Quote from: JossiRossi
Whenever I read a quote, and realize if was taken not by an outside party, but the writer themselves, I can't help but wonder what kind of ridiculous self important image that person must have. -JossiRossi

Joke. Joke. I just happen to like irony.

I have a quote in my Quote Book attributed to me!

Quote from: Josh
“I just learned from a Junior Trivial Pursuit edition Pringles potato crisp that horned lizards shoot blood from their eyes when threatened.”

Sure, it's not quite up to the caliber of Julius Caesar or Mark Twain, but I'll bet you didn't know about the blood-shooting lizards either! Unless, that is, you enjoy a good Pringles Potato Crisp every now and again. =)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 07:46:08 pm »
Many of my favorite quotes are at least somewhat humorous in their nature.  I'm of the belief that without humor, life is unlivable.  My mind is quite fragmented at times; without that aspect of my being, I would have long ago descended into chaos, death, and unspeakable acts.

Quote from: CATS
All your base are belong to us!

One of the most hysterical linguistic screwups of all time, bar none.

Quote from: Fred Kwan
Well, we could reconfigure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion.

Probably my favorite line from GalaxyQuest, making fun of the endless technobabble that has largely consumed the last several seasons of Star Trek in lieu of actual characterization.  Seeing as science fiction and fantasy often stands on shaky ground, both scientifically and philosophically, it's also a great reminder to know what you're talking about.

Quote from: Every Yuuzhan Vong ever
Embrace the pain.

Call them goths pumped up on steroids.  Call them emos in crab suits.  Call them the result of a drinking binge at LucasBooks.  I only wish I could come up with a species this cool when I was drunk.  But their philosophy adds an excellent counterpoint to the sometimes woefully-underdeveloped Jedi take on the universe; not that the Jedi take is itself undeveloped, but it's rarely, if ever, properly described or elaborated upon.

You've got Luke trying to run his Order in a direction that avoids the faults of the old Order's rather simplistic and naive outlook on the universe, and then WHAM, these badasses come in and start messing a lot of shit up in the name of their gods, psychological personifications of the life force of their home planet Yuuzhan'tar.  They aren't just experts in the art of combat; the espionage and political prowess of the disciples of Yun-Harla, the Yuuzhan Vong trickster goddess easily likened to Loki, confounds public opinion and divides the New Republic against itself, allowing the Yuuzhan Vong to capture and despoil much of the galaxy despite the Republic's vastly larger infrastructure, military, and resource base, including capturing and holding Coruscant for two years.  Defeating them is a grueling process that costs 365 trillion lives (yeah, you read that number right) and requires both a ruthlessly efficient approach and an eye towards the philosophical Jedi angle first seriously explored in Timothy Zahn's novels, in order to prevent the rise of another Empire after the fact.  The Yuuzhan Vong War personified the history of the Jedi Order, and in turn makes manifest the desire for emotional and rational balance present within all sentient beings.

Quote from: Princess Zelda
The flow of time is cruel...Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it.

This is irony at its best; I prefer to think it's intentional.  Not only does Link have the power to travel through time and change the course of history, time itself is a rather fluid thing on its own.  Obviously, it describes the state of life for people who aren't Link, Crono, Marty McFly, or the cast of a Star Trek show.  However, when thinking of time travel, we tend to overlook that those who can time-travel are also left to fight fate; changing the past can be just as hard and painful as altering the situation in the present.  Zelda herself, not possessing the Master Sword, was left to languish and despair for seven years while Ganondorf turned Hyrule into a tyrannical regime filled with monsters, death, and general suckitude.  The fact that she immediately teaches Link the Minuet of Forest afterward serves as an excellent counterpoint to her sharp warning of how it works for most people, perhaps to add to the realization that yeah, the fate of the world IS in his hands.

Quote from: Chef
Haven't you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?

Quote from: Pompous Military Bitch Dude
I don't listen to hip-hop!

Exchanges like this are what make me love Chef.

Quote from: Pious Augustus
I had no knowledge of what was to come.  Nor did I care.  How the knowledge changed me...It will also change you.  As you read this, you will come to learn fear as I have.  You too, will come to understand, or you will perish.

To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of our reality...to see those who dwell behind.  My life now has purpose, for I have learned the frailty of flesh and bone.  I was once a fool...

There's nothing more terrifying to anyone than to have their entire concept of how reality works torn out from under them like they lost control of a skateboard.  In most circumstances, the most terrifying stories deal in circumstances that aren't blatantly supernatural, or at least outside of our current realm of understanding.  People who wish to sap the sanity from others exploit the selfish nature of all beings to do this, whether that nature extends toward their survival, their spiritual and intellectual growth, or some harmful addiction.

Also, it's just freaky to watch your own head fall off and then have it recite the "to be or not to be" speech, or to have your GameCube fake a restart and the PS2 or Xbox startup screen appears instead, followed by the "flashback" and your character exclaiming frantically that it isn't really happening.

Quote from: Thomas Edison
I have not failed.  I have just discovered 10,000 ways that won't work.

Both humorous and inspirational, and largely true of much of engineering and science, and pretty much anything that requires experimentation of any kind.

Quote from: Cloud Strife
...Shut up.  The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean a thing.  Aeris is gone.  Aeris will no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry, or get angry...What about us...what are WE supposed to do?  What about my pain?  My fingers are tingling.  My mouth is dry.  My eyes are burning!

Quote from: Sephiroth
What are you saying?  Are you trying to tell me you have feelings, too?

A corollary of being effective, both in war and in peace, is that some people are inevitably going to die, or get screwed over.  Whether we're talking about terrorists taking hostages, heroes giving their lives without true physical reward or even understanding, or the arguably warranted oppression of lower classes in different societies, someone is going to suffer to make civilization work.  This much is fairly obvious.  In Sephiroth's idea of morality, this someone just happened to be Aeris; this ended up being his undoing, reaping the consequences of his own style of morality, that which revolves around death and hatred.  The good thing is that technological advancement can reduce the impact of some of these "issues of civilization" quite a good bit, but knowledge alone won't do the job.  It's easy to lose sight of the fact that you have to have the will to fight, to grow, and to progress as a civilization and individually, rather than to give up and give in to one's more primal nature.  One might think that technology alone will not solve humanity's problems, but it isn't just technology, it's what the technology represents; the collective and individual growth of humanity's sum of knowledge, and thus our growth as beings in the larger sense.  The problem is, of course, that it can be hard to gauge the level of technology necessary to actually fix many of our foremost problems, and it can be equally hard to determine what new problems may arise.  Knowledge, both of ourselves and the universe, represents everything that we are.  Aeris' death was no mere emotional tool, but a reflection of the harsh reality of the darker side of humanity, the tendency to take the convenient road simply because it's convenient, rather than for its actual merits.  As much effort as it took to create a scheme to become a god, more effort still would have been required to ferret out injustice and destroy it individually.

I have some more, but I have shit to do, so I'll post them when I think of them.

Daniel Krispin

Quote Digest
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 07:47:23 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
A grudging “welcome back” to the General board, Daniel. (What is your real name, anyway?) Now let’s not hijack yet another thread, yes? You are old enough to behave yourself.

Real name... hmm... well, on the internet, my realest is probably the old Guardian of Ages I used to go by. Or the Greek version of the name I now use on some, which is Alexaion. I should probably change it to that. Why do you ask? But Daniel (very grimly meaning 'God is my judge' in old Hebrew... ask Legend, I think he'll confirm that; it goes along well with my fatalistic quotes, eh?) is what I go by for now.

Oh, I've done as you requested. My apologies.

As told by Cicero, in his De Officiis.

Ah, Julius Caesar! One of history’s most well-known sinistrals, and the namesake of my birth month. He revived an ailing republic, preserved countless historical writings, and crucially influenced the shape of the world to this very day. Dante assigned his betrayers the cruelest punishment in Hell, and, against all democratic tradition, there were no few people in his time who wanted him to put on that crown—which he never did. He is still one of the greatest people our species has ever produced.

And he himself named for the son of Aeneas. I really must read that some day. Right now, I'm more into Greek literature, but I'll get around to Latin in time. Yes, Caesar was without doubt amongst the most important figures ever in world history. And, I've heard, was a fair writer in his own right.

I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome.

Such beautiful ambition was perhaps the inspiration for Milton when he wrote Satan's famous line centuries later. And of course with such a mindset, Caesar ultimately surmounted his own poetic dilemma and achieved the status of being first in Rome after all.

For which he was duly executed, Brutus following the tyrannicide tendancies of his family. The Romans had a deep-seated fear of kings, after all. But what Caesar grasped and achieved for a short while, his adopted son brought to completion. Personally, though, I like the Antonine emperors the best.  

“Libenter homines et id quod volunt, credunt.”

“What men wish, they like to believe.”
[/quote]

I suppose that is true. He was an excellent propogandist, after all. Wait... are you certain that's the right tranlation? I might just be seeing things, but isn't liber freedom? It almost seems more like 'What will give men freedom, they credit.'? But I'm probably wrong. As I said, Latin is not exactly my thing yet.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:02:34 pm »
I always thought your real name was Daniel.  Sounded too real to be a pseudonym.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:13:14 am »
Oh, how could I forget...ony of my most cherished:

Quote from: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Tagline
One fate. One million ways to defy it.

CronoVolta

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 04:37:02 am »
Omar Rodriguez Lopez:
I still don't really know how to be with myself. Which is why- and I do think most of us do- feel so alone.

Douglas Adams:
His whole life felt like some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

At The Drive-In:
If your map was torn. Navigate.
If your compass broke. Navigate.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Quote Digest
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:13 pm »
Muichimotsu, a saying in Zen Buddhism

"Hold nothing. If you meet the Buddha, kill him. If you meet the patriarchs, kill them. Free of all, bound by nothing. You live your life simply as it is."

A saying I remembered particularly clearly, as the reading of the book, Siddartha has fired up an interest in myself for Zen Buddhism.