Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 149043 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #945 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:04 am »
Quote from: David Wong
So when I say "We're all in this together," I'm not stating a philosophy. I'm stating a fact about the way human life works. No, you never asked for anything to be handed to you. You didn't have to, because billions of humans who lived and died before you had already created a lavish support system where the streets are all but paved with gold. Everyone reading this -- all of us living in a society advanced enough to have Internet access -- was born one inch away from the finish line, plopped here at birth, by other people.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #946 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:41 am »
Sometimes children, in their simplicity, make the most compelling arguments.  They have a way of cutting through all the crap to get to the core issue.

This deserves to be quoted.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 07, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »
"Writing fiction is ... an endless and always defeated effort to capture some quality of life without killing it." - Rose Wilder Lane

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:34 pm »
Quote from: Howard Taylor
"I think it was Patrick Rothfuss who [described getting mean spirited reader comments] ... as a turd in his bowl of oatmeal, as I recall. You can't eat the oatmeal around the turd."

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #949 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:47 am »
"Nothing is exactly as it seems, nor is it otherwise." ~ Alan Watts

"From the pine-trees, learn of the pine-trees. And from the bamboos, learn of the bamboo." ~ Some Zen saying

"Ride your horse along the edge of the sword
Hide yourself in the middle of the flames
Blossoms of the fruit tree will bloom in the fire
The sun rises in the evening."

~ Zen Koan

"Throw a resourceful person into a river, and he will probably come out with a fish in his hand."
~ An Arabian Quote

"Yesterday is ashes; tomorrow is wood. Only today does the fire burn brightly." ~ Eskimo proverb

"The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." ~ Chinese Proverb

"If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap. If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing. If you want happiness for a month -- get married. If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime -- help someone else." ~ Chinese Proverb

"When eating bamboo sprouts, remember the man who planted them." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Renew thyself completely each day; do it again, and again, and forever again." ~ Chinese Proverb

"The most beautiful things in the universe are the starry heavens above us and the feeling of duty within us." ~ Indian proverb
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:26:54 am by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:25 pm »
"THE STANDARD YOU WALK PAST IS THE STANDARD YOU ACCEPT." -Australia's Lt. General David Morrison

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 07, 2013, 06:02:10 am »
Quote from: Mark Twain
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.

idioticidioms

« Reply #952 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »
“People are afraid of themselves, of their own reality; their feelings most of all. People talk about how great love is, but that's bullshit. Love hurts. Feelings are disturbing. People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they're afraid to feel? Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.”

~Jim Morrison

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:55 am »
"What do you think," said he, "of all things in the world would give me the greatest pleasure?" I was on the point of replying, removal from St. Helena, when he said, "To be able to go about incognito in London and other parts of England, to the restaurateurs, with a friend, to dine in public at the expense of half a guinea or a guinea, and listen to the conversation of the company; to go through them all, changing almost daily, and in this manner, with my own ears, to hear the people express their sentiments, in their unguarded moments, freely and without restraint; to hear their real opinion of myself, and of the surprising occurrences of the last twenty years." I observed, that he would hear much evil and much good of himself. "Oh, as to the evil," replied he, "I care not about that. I am well used to it. Besides, I know that the public opinion will be changed. The nation will be just as much disgusted at the libels published against me, as they formerly were greedy in reading and believing them. This," added he, "and the education of my son, would form my greatest pleasure. It was my intention to have done this, had I reached America. The happiest days of my life were from sixteen to twenty, during the semestres, when I used to go about, as I have told you I should wish to do, from one restaurateur to another, living moderately, and having a lodging for which I paid three louis a month. They were the happiest days of my life. I was always so much occupied, that I may say I never was truly happy upon the throne."

Napoleon. My love of Scotland, and now love of the French Revolution and Napoleon has made me quite the anglophobe. It pains me how even in my own education, Napoleon was still presented as villain, when in fact the entire whole of the western world was constantly fighting him out of fear of the dissolution of monarchies. The French challenged the order of kings and oppression, and because of that, every major power in Europe sought to squelch them. I would dare say the Napoleonic Wars were a defense of France and the ideals of the revolution; even Napoleon's annexations were basically justified as a response to the constant attacks on France.

I just wish he had gone ahead and dethroned the Pope when he had the chance. That, and I wish the Cult of Reason had survived. Alas.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »
...if I look at a piece and don't see a whale, and if I examine myself and don't see Ahab, then the project can only be puttering along.

I'm taking this out of context, from a blog I read, but this really stood out to me.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #955 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:04 pm »
Napoleon. My love of Scotland, and now love of the French Revolution and Napoleon has made me quite the anglophobe. It pains me how even in my own education, Napoleon was still presented as villain, when in fact the entire whole of the western world was constantly fighting him out of fear of the dissolution of monarchies. The French challenged the order of kings and oppression, and because of that, every major power in Europe sought to squelch them.
Interestingly, when reading The Human Comedy, by Honore de Balzac, the character Vautrin implies something incredibly similar. In fact, this is exactly the reason behind why he took the life of crime -- because "to revolt" against an oppressive government / monarchy / wealthy and powerful authority is still crime nonetheless. (And he referenced Napoleon for the same reasons quite a lot)

Then again, it goes to show that when you challenge the most powerful forces in the world, the stakes are likely to be higher and majority of odds stacked against you (making it incredibly difficult to succeed without help; look what happened to Edward Snowden). Fearing this, people would choose the other option and simply conform, at the expense of the misery of countless others and essentially making the authority even more powerful.

Me? I create a Third Option. I'm not good at going head-on with my soft-skull, nor do I like the prospects of cowering and giving up.  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:55:49 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #956 on: October 01, 2013, 06:12:59 am »
Let me put this here.

Quote from: Faust, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Bayard Taylor
“You can’t, if you can’t feel it, if it never
Rises from the soul, and sways
The heart of every single hearer,
With deepest power, in simple ways.
You’ll sit forever, gluing things together,
Cooking up a stew from other’s scraps,
Blowing on a miserable fire,
Made from your heap of dying ash.
Let apes and children praise your art,
If their admiration’s to your taste,
But you’ll never speak from heart to heart,
Unless it rises up from your heart’s space.”

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:29 am »
"Pride is all very well, but a sausage is a sausage."

-Gaspode, from Men At Arms, by Terry Pratchett

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #958 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:19 pm »
...if I look at a piece and don't see a whale, and if I examine myself and don't see Ahab, then the project can only be puttering along.

I'm taking this out of context, from a blog I read, but this really stood out to me.

That sort of passion is incredible in a personal project, but crippling as an external expectation for a professional project.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #959 on: December 27, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
I've recently been hooked on to Night Vale podcast, and NOW I CAN'T STOP!

Quote from: Cecil Palmer
"Listeners... Listeners out there in the night, clinging to my voice as the simulacrum of companionship... remember: Fear is consciousness, plus life. Regret is an attempt to avoid what has already happened. Toast... is bread held under direct heat until crisp."