Author Topic: Quote Digest  (Read 150083 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Quote Digest
« Reply #885 on: December 11, 2011, 12:40:44 pm »
Quote from: The Eleventh Doctor
It's got my name written all over it. Well, not literally, but give me time and a crayon!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #886 on: December 11, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »
Quote from: The Eleventh Doctor
Planets and history and stuff, that's what we do. But not today, no. Today we're answering a cry for help from the scariest place in the universe. A child's bedroom.
Damn, I'll always love this one!

And this:

The Doctor: Through crimson stars and silent stars and tumbling nebulas like oceans set on fire. Through empires of glass and civilizations of pure thought. And a whole terrible wonderful universe of impossibilities. You see these eyes, they're old eyes. And one thing I can tell you, Alex: monsters are real.

Alex: ...You're not from Social Services are you?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:54:13 pm by tushantin »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I normally shy away from the sentiments that you might see on motivational posters, but I like this one quite a bit: it reminds me that everyone is a universe, everyone's trials are (in one way or another) momentous to themselves, and that people are defensive about their lives because their lives are all they have. It's not always very much.

I believe there are times when you should not be kind, but as a rule, people deserve our charity. Life is confusing, tumultuous, and often very difficult. We should try to help each other fight the battles boldly.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #888 on: December 12, 2011, 11:52:46 am »
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I normally shy away from the sentiments that you might see on motivational posters, but I like this one quite a bit: it reminds me that everyone is a universe, everyone's trials are (in one way or another) momentous to themselves, and that people are defensive about their lives because their lives are all they have. It's not always very much.

I believe there are times when you should not be kind, but as a rule, people deserve our charity. Life is confusing, tumultuous, and often very difficult. We should try to help each other fight the battles boldly.
I've been meaning to respond to this, but just didn't have the words to. Perhaps this is the best I can say: I'm going to take these words to heart, till death.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:10:34 pm by tushantin »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #889 on: December 12, 2011, 01:14:01 pm »
I realize that it's missing the point, but I want to whip out that last picture, or some variant thereof, anytime people defend female game characters running around in little more than leather bikinis while their male counterparts march in full plate mail.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #890 on: December 12, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »
XDDD See what I mean by "Feminism going crazy sometimes"?

RD, no offense, but go read Carciphona first. Then take a look at the artist's and the characters' bio. Then we'll talk.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 12, 2011, 10:09:40 pm »
EDIT: I'll have to let RD speak for himself, but I'm not sure RD's point is actually a criticism of the media you posted, tushantin. That pic could very well be seen as one of the few realistic works that reveal the fallacy behind the kind of attitude lampooned in this College Humor sketch. In that sense, it could indeed be an effective piece of media for RD to whip out the next time this pet peeve crops up!

Interestingly, it seems the depicted character isn't always found in that attire. This alone intrigues me, and since the art style is interesting, I look forward to learning more about this manga/series.

To keep this on topic:

Quote from: a fortune cookie
Only one who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:43:43 am by FaustWolf »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #892 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:47 pm »
Quote from: Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes."

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #893 on: December 13, 2011, 01:50:52 am »
Allow me to clarify. Faust has correctly identified the reasoning behind my post. I think that the image is a good demonstration of precisely why it is absurd that female armor covers less skin than beachwear.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #894 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:27 am »
Allow me to clarify. Faust has correctly identified the reasoning behind my post. I think that the image is a good demonstration of precisely why it is absurd that female armor covers less skin than beachwear.
EDIT: I'll have to let RD speak for himself, but I'm not sure RD's point is actually a criticism of the media you posted, tushantin. That pic could very well be seen as one of the few realistic works that reveal the fallacy behind the kind of attitude lampooned in this College Humor sketch. In that sense, it could indeed be an effective piece of media for RD to whip out the next time this pet peeve crops up!
Haha, it's completely understood that an artwork depicted as such from he surface would incite certain biased interpretations (which is usually a good thing), though you'd still benefit from researching the origins beforehand. Pardon me if I hadn't been clear, though. What I meant back there was that RD's statement was biased hence with surface interpretation without the background knowledge of the picture itself (plus, seriously, go read Carciphona; it's awesome). The story behind the picture has nothing to do with RD's claims -- unlike traditional character roles, the "aggressive warrior" is the girl while the boy there doesn't have an armor to begin with since he's a passive violinist. He isn't so much as trying to defend her. He mourns for her. He offers kindness, and that's despite the fact that the female protagonist has only been an asshole towards him. And yet he forgives her.

This reflects on Syna's claim: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Quote from: a fortune cookie
Only one who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.
Heh, I agree with that. If mankind never had the liberty to commit mistakes then it would never have the liberty to nurture ingenuity.

Quote from: Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes."
Though I don't agree with that statement, but that's just me. Common sense is also usually the sole case of intellectual fallacy.  :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:30:57 am by tushantin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:44 am »
Quote from: tushantin
Haha, it's completely understood that an artwork depicted as such from he surface would incite certain biased interpretations (which is usually a good thing), though you'd still benefit from researching the origins beforehand. Pardon me if I hadn't been clear, though. What I meant back there was that RD's statement was biased hence with surface interpretation without the background knowledge of the picture itself...
Hmm, I think we might still be talking over each other. It's not that RD had a biased interpretation; he thought the work had great intrinsic value even without knowing the context. Even reacting to it out of context, RD saw it as a useful inversion of the woman-in-skimpy-armor trope, because it actually shows a realistic outcome of not wearing armor in dangerous situations. It makes all the more sense when it's put in context; based on your description and what I've been able to investigate of it so far, it looks like a progressive work.

In short, what I'm saying is that you misinterpreted what RD was trying to communicate. I made the same mistake myself at first.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:53:19 am by FaustWolf »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #896 on: December 13, 2011, 03:31:30 am »
I will clarify further. The context of the image doesn't actually matter. I have no knowledge of the roles or stories of the characters, nor is such knowledge needed for the purposes of my comment. The picture shows a female character in fairly typical video game female clothing, and who has been critically injured. Judging by the picture, more substantial armor likely could have prevented her injuries.

It is in this regard that the picture is valuable in discussing women's clothing in video games. Whether she is a strong or weak person is irrelevant: She's dramatically under-dressed, and her injuries are apparently at least in part a result of this.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:18 pm »
The idea of making a clarification implies a willingness to learn among those who are missing the point. I've learned that the hard way, and not just with tush. Don't forget that, when you go about deciding what is worth your time and what is not, and what actions will lead toward the ends you want to achieve.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 14, 2011, 03:03:25 pm »
tushantin and I continued this discussion over PM and I think he gets what RD meant now.

I was having trouble finding a good quote, but then I saw this! I hope you don't mind that I truncated it for snappiness.

Quote from: Lord J Esq
The best thing a writer can do to defeat sexism is [...] write compelling stories free of sexism.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:46:25 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #899 on: December 23, 2011, 05:16:05 am »
Quote from: Mr Mafioso
If you don't get off your ass and continue your climb upwards, there will be someone younger, stronger and smarter who will take your place on the food chain. Sure you can live the good life the way you are now, but you'll never be the man you could have been. You're just another one of those smug "pretenders" happy with the BMW in the driveway and the 2.3 kids. Put that on your gravestone.
Quote from: Ben Jonson
Honor's a good brooch to wear in a man's hat at all times.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:20:23 am by tushantin »