Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > General Discussion

Quote Digest

<< < (3/194) > >>

Daniel Krispin:

--- Quote from: Lord J esq ---A grudging “welcome back” to the General board, Daniel. (What is your real name, anyway?) Now let’s not hijack yet another thread, yes? You are old enough to behave yourself.

--- End quote ---

Real name... hmm... well, on the internet, my realest is probably the old Guardian of Ages I used to go by. Or the Greek version of the name I now use on some, which is Alexaion. I should probably change it to that. Why do you ask? But Daniel (very grimly meaning 'God is my judge' in old Hebrew... ask Legend, I think he'll confirm that; it goes along well with my fatalistic quotes, eh?) is what I go by for now.

Oh, I've done as you requested. My apologies.

--- Quote from: Lord J esq ---
As told by Cicero, in his De Officiis.

Ah, Julius Caesar! One of history’s most well-known sinistrals, and the namesake of my birth month. He revived an ailing republic, preserved countless historical writings, and crucially influenced the shape of the world to this very day. Dante assigned his betrayers the cruelest punishment in Hell, and, against all democratic tradition, there were no few people in his time who wanted him to put on that crown—which he never did. He is still one of the greatest people our species has ever produced.
--- End quote ---

And he himself named for the son of Aeneas. I really must read that some day. Right now, I'm more into Greek literature, but I'll get around to Latin in time. Yes, Caesar was without doubt amongst the most important figures ever in world history. And, I've heard, was a fair writer in his own right.

--- Quote from: Julius Caesar ---I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome.
--- End quote ---

Such beautiful ambition was perhaps the inspiration for Milton when he wrote Satan's famous line centuries later. And of course with such a mindset, Caesar ultimately surmounted his own poetic dilemma and achieved the status of being first in Rome after all.
--- End quote ---

For which he was duly executed, Brutus following the tyrannicide tendancies of his family. The Romans had a deep-seated fear of kings, after all. But what Caesar grasped and achieved for a short while, his adopted son brought to completion. Personally, though, I like the Antonine emperors the best.  

--- Quote from: Julius Caesar ---“Libenter homines et id quod volunt, credunt.”
--- End quote ---

“What men wish, they like to believe.”
--- End quote ---
[/quote]

I suppose that is true. He was an excellent propogandist, after all. Wait... are you certain that's the right tranlation? I might just be seeing things, but isn't liber freedom? It almost seems more like 'What will give men freedom, they credit.'? But I'm probably wrong. As I said, Latin is not exactly my thing yet.

Hadriel:
I always thought your real name was Daniel.  Sounded too real to be a pseudonym.

ZeaLitY:
Oh, how could I forget...ony of my most cherished:

--- Quote from: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Tagline ---One fate. One million ways to defy it.
--- End quote ---

CronoVolta:
Omar Rodriguez Lopez:

--- Quote ---I still don't really know how to be with myself. Which is why- and I do think most of us do- feel so alone.
--- End quote ---

Douglas Adams:

--- Quote ---His whole life felt like some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
--- End quote ---

At The Drive-In:

--- Quote ---If your map was torn. Navigate.
If your compass broke. Navigate.
--- End quote ---

Kazuki:
Muichimotsu, a saying in Zen Buddhism

--- Quote ---"Hold nothing. If you meet the Buddha, kill him. If you meet the patriarchs, kill them. Free of all, bound by nothing. You live your life simply as it is."
--- End quote ---

A saying I remembered particularly clearly, as the reading of the book, Siddartha has fired up an interest in myself for Zen Buddhism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version