Author Topic: Does Chrono Cross Ruin Chrono Trigger?? (SPoilers of course)  (Read 5882 times)

XtremeOne1

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Does Chrono Cross Ruin Chrono Trigger?? (SPoilers of course)
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:40:50 pm »
Okay, did anyway else feel that Chrono Cross completly ruins CHrono Trigger. They killed off the characters needlessly, and just ruined the fun that Chrono Trigger had. When I play Chrono Trigger now, all I can think of is that the three main characters are dead now, just so Kid can have some development. I don't know about you but I like the charactes in CT better then the 40+ characters in CHrono Cross combined. Even the story was better. Complexed and deep, but still easy to understand and get into.

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:00:00 pm »
I would argue that Chrono Cross does not specify the fate of the playable characters of Chrono Trigger, with the possible exception of Robo. Just because Guardia was overthrown and Lucca's house burned down does not mean that Crono, Lucca, and Marle were killed.

XtremeOne1

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 05:03:26 pm »
yeah i know, but that the biggest argument on every Chrono board is their fate, i wish it would have been confirmed. To me its just a slap in the face.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 06:25:01 pm »
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Everybody dies some time. Assuming that you mean 1020 AD. Ayla, Magus and Frog have to be dead that time, unless they time-travelled. Robo is a part of Fate. So, the problem is Crono, Marle and Lucca. The game doesn't say that they are dead. Especially after seeing Lucca's letter, although she might have written it years before, we have a clue about her. Crono and Marle probably lived in Guardia until Porre attacked. They must have died there, since I'm sure that after defeating Lavos they wouldn't flee in a war. However, this isn't certain either. But even if all the characters were alive, it wouldn't play a great role. The characters of CT have already done what they had to do. Those characters were complete, new ones were needed for CC and new will be needed, should SE releases CB.

XtremeOne1

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 06:34:12 pm »
ur opinon, but that doesnt mean they need to be killed off, or i dunno kind of killed off, cause we dont have an answer.

Merk

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 07:35:02 pm »
What bothers me the most is how Crono & Co., who were able to take on Lavos (a being capable of destroying the world by sneezing needles off his back), supposedly lost to some Porrean n00bs in a war, even ones with elements. =/

I mean, really. Crono could have taken on the entire Porrean army by himself without a scratch.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 08:04:09 pm »
Yes, but the Aeris rule can be invoked here. In a real RPG battle in FF7, Aeris could have put up at least some kind of battle. However, Sephiroth simply sliced her in the back. When it is necessary for storytelling, RPG player character immunity can disappear.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 01:40:57 am »
Quote from: Merk
What bothers me the most is how Crono & Co., who were able to take on Lavos (a being capable of destroying the world by sneezing needles off his back), supposedly lost to some Porrean n00bs in a war, even ones with elements. =/

I mean, really. Crono could have taken on the entire Porrean army by himself without a scratch.

The Aeris rule is a cliche which is meaningless to the Chrono Series.

There is no definite explanation whether or not the time travellers died, but if they did, I doubt it was from fighting any of Porre conventional forces.  In an interview, Masato Kato hinted that the travellers were involved in an unspecified incident and that Porre was backed by an influence from another time.  I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Personally, I'll believe Crono, Marle, Robo and Lucca really died when a new game is released, and we see their bodies, or a trusted source, who isn't malignant or insane, outrightly states they are dead.  I have half a mind to believe that anything we didn't actually see with our own eyes in Chrono Cross could have been faked by Belthasar.

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 01:48:54 am »
CC definitly makes everything you do in ct seem as it were for nothing;Which is why i dont even count Cross as a part of cannon. And why i couldent play thru the game a second time.

XtremeOne1

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 05:44:15 pm »
Same, Trigger tops Cross, and if they make a sequal, im guessing it will be more about Trigger then Cross. Its story was deeper and better. Cross is jsut complex and confusing, its agame that takes itself to seriously.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 02:51:06 am »
Well I have to agree on some things that have been said, but nontheless, Chrono Cross on its own was a very good game IMO. You need to see it for what it is, not what it was expected to be. Sure its a Chrono game, but if it was meant to go alot deeper into the fate and plot of CT, they would have named it Chrono Trigger 2.

RudyRoughknight

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 03:57:15 am »
Quote from: kennyj2003
Well I have to agree on some things that have been said, but nontheless, Chrono Cross on its own was a very good game IMO. You need to see it for what it is, not what it was expected to be. Sure its a Chrono game, but if it was meant to go alot deeper into the fate and plot of CT, they would have named it Chrono Trigger 2.
Yeah I totally agree. Chrono Cross is a very excellent game on its own merits, such as the innovative stamina based battle system, element system, and IMO the very deep and complex story, who some don't seem to like for the fact they don't comprehend it the first play through or the CT fanboys that dislike the story because Crono, Magus, etc weren't in the game. Saying CC ruined Trigger just because of personal preference is kinda lame. Enjoy the game for what it was, not because you coudn't understand the story or recruit Crono and Magus.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 04:07:41 am »
I must admit though, when I found out that Crono wasn't in it, it was dissapointing at first but I enjoyed the game anyway. But the real kicker was when I got to Chronopolis and the tower of Geddon when Lavos was mentioned. I was estatic, but the thing that hit me most was revisiting leene square and the ghosts of the Ct heroes and the sad theme playing, all my thought of Sqaure-Enix ruining the story left me and I was satisfied. Not to mention visiting Lucca's Orphanage and finding out your trying to accomplish the goal Magus had set for himself, to find his sister*tear* :P . Hmm which kinda makes me wonder. If Schala had the power to influence serge into finding and freeing her, cound't she and old man Belth let Magus do it instead lol. But I realize serge's importance to the plot :)

RudyRoughknight

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 04:13:17 am »
Quote from: XtremeOne1
yeah i know, but that the biggest argument on every Chrono board is their fate, i wish it would have been confirmed. To me its just a slap in the face.
Well maybe Square-Enix was leaving a little to imagination. Think about it, if everything was explained and clear, then you woudn't be posting on this forum and talking about the myteries to begin with.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 04:16:03 am »
Quote from: RudyRoughknight
Quote from: XtremeOne1
Well maybe Square-Enix was leaving a little to imagination. Think about it, if everything was explained and clear, then you woudn't be posting on this forum and talking about the myteries to begin with.
Yeah totally, in a way Im glad there are some mysteries to Ct and CC or any game. It brings people together like on this forum to use our imaginations and discuss what coudv been. So I think calling it a slap in the face disgraces The Chrono series entirely.