Author Topic: A note about Zeal at night  (Read 818 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
A note about Zeal at night
« on: December 21, 2005, 12:08:26 am »
We might not even have to do any serious graphic hacking to accomplish this. Take a look at the fall of Zeal; the palette of the sky seems to be changed to gray. Perhaps it is out of the question, but just maybe, the palette could be changed to dark purple / black for a cloudy night. We should probably find the command that changes the palette in Zeal's overworld events once Temporal Flux 2.00 is out.

It would make for an experimental run, I guess. Real Zeal at night would need stars to be truly impressive.

Here's the gray:

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 01:43:51 pm »
03CE44   03DFFF   PAL   Yes   No   Overworld palettes   4/28/2004

The palette for the sky is in this compressed packet. I forgot it was compressed, which explains my horrible attempt at editing it. >_<

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 10:11:46 pm »
What's the mathematical operation to compensate for unheadered ROM vs. those offsets? Or should 03CE44 work? And once it's decompressed, will SNESPal edit it?

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: A note about Zeal at night
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:20:07 am »
I found where they changed it in the overworld events.  It's command04(ADDRESS, Param, Param)

They are using the address 7EC0E0
First Param seems to decide what part of the map you edit, 06 is the sky
The second Param seems to be time, I made it 0 so it's instant, they had it higher which is why it slowly changed to the gray.

Anyways Changing the address messes with the color but it's a ridiculously tedious/slow process.  If anyone is any more knowledgable and knows what address would correspond to a dark purple color that would certainly speed things up.

Here's a pic of Crono walking on the gray sky

EDIT:  oo, this one came out pretty good

It's address 7EBA00
I'll keep looking for a dark purple

Final EDIT:  I know it looks weird but it used good "colors"......maybe if  we made the clouds differnetly and stopped the scrolling......meh

ok one more haha, here's the black with some "stars" (it's part of the Zeal buildings)

--jp

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:18:40 pm by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 05:08:19 am »
Well, it turns out that the Zeal at night above were a fluke (tear).  The black is based off a changing variable so when I implemented it in CE that variable must have already been changed thus making it a whole different color.  But if we can find a way to make one of the solid tiles simply black we can manually make a black sky with starts.

jp out

--jp

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »
Ugh, another problem.  It looks like the Zeal code forces you to use an overworld exit before you can load sprites onto it....sounds crazy right?  here's how I came to the conclusion

I added a "dactly" that takes you to the 600 AD map between cursed woods and the epoch.  Now there's 3 ways to get to Zeal that I put

1.  Take the epoch to chronpolis, talk to belthasar (the way we want).  This loads the Zeal map without any sprites at all

2.  Take the epoch and talk to the door next to him (only difference between this and method 1 was that I added code that manually placed the epoch's X and Y coordinates) this loads the Zeal map but you don't see your sprites, however you can walk around and after walking around awhile you can see your sprites are on the map moving just off the screen

3.  Finally I edited the cursed woods exit to take me to chronpolis, I talked to belthasar and Bam it works perfectly. 

So I came to the conlusion that using an OW exit must store data about your overworld sprites somewhere.....where it is we don't know.

Any ideas:

Latest Patch is attached.

--jp

[attachment deleted by admin]

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:29:32 am »
When talking to Belthasar,
Store 00 to 7E027E
Store 00 to 7E027F
Store A0 to 7E0294

That should do it.

All three addresses are Epoch status related.  The problem appears to be simply using the time needle to go to Chronopolis.  As you recall, normally when you pick an era on the time gauge, afterwards you get that quick cutscene of the Epoch flying across the overworld map flashing.  But since you warp directly to an actual location (Chronopolis) that scene never gets a chance to complete, leaving the memory addresses set wrong.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:32:31 am by JLukas »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:45:37 am »
I see, I thought it thought it had something to do with memory, though I thought it was OW sprites.  I didn't realize there was even more epoch memory locations to set.  I'll try this solution after work and post the outcome.  Thanks again.

EDIT:  total success

--jp
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:59:15 pm by jsondag2 »

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 06:54:17 pm »
OK, a bump here.  With the CL giving me my new found love for SnesPal I was wondering if the process would be really easy to just make a nice black Zeal sky.  My closest attempt gave us a pretty ugly gray sky.

Do i put these numbers into snes pal and drag them all till they are black?

03CE44   03DFFF

Also anyone who has played the latest ROM has seen how dark Zeal gets.  I couldn't find out how to get it to darken any less than that though clearly it would look alot better if it was about 5 shades lighter.  Any ideas?  Should I just leave it bright?

Thanks in advance.

--jp
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 06:55:58 pm by jsondag2 »