Author Topic: The Ice Age: A scientific inconsistency?  (Read 10472 times)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
The Ice Age: A scientific inconsistency?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 12:56:05 pm »
I would almost have to assume that it was cyclic. Remember how the current ice age in 12000 instatly was abaded once Zeal fell? I would go so far as to say that the kingdom above the clouds might have been the major cause of that cycle, maybe its levetation messed with the weather cycle of the planet.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 08:19:56 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
Another problem is that it all happened to quickly. Lavos' crash should have caused fires and magma to come up to the surface, which would actually make things hotter, right? But the snow fell instead, so who knows. Maybe Lavos absorbing the energy of the planet, and shift in the teutonic plates could have affected it aswell?

Ahhhah.. They are actually tectonic plates (from the greek tekton, for one who makes). If they were teutonic they would be german...
Anyway, that wouldnt really affect temperature very much, barring if a thinner bit of crust were to come up. Even so, it would only lead to a greater period of volcanic activity. I suppose one could argue that it would release more carbon dioxide into the air, but after 62 million years it would have been absorbed back into the living creatures, plants, and rock of the earth.
The only geological thing that could affect global temperature on such a scale would be Lavos sucking an Implausable amount of thermal energy out of the earth. I mean humungous amounts and even so, it would still only be really prevalent at night. Perhaps Lavos was recuperating after his long space voyage?
Maybe he went into hibernation for a while and was just starting to wake up by the time Chrono and co. came around?

Naz

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 05:09:38 pm »
Is anyone else interested in that comment on the sweet water?

Hindu_Pez

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hindupez.com
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 11:26:46 pm »
I think the Tyranno Lair may have played a part in this.

How is it that Lavos comes to Earth and ushers in a ridiculous ice age, yet the Tyranno Lair remains underground, untouched many years later when you go looking for the Rainbow Shell?

It is possible that this is where everyone hid out at.

...just a small theory. I don't have much evidence to back it up.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 12:04:33 am »
Quote from: Naz
Is anyone else interested in that comment on the sweet water?

Yes, that's a good point.  Lavos seemed to have disrupted the source of the Sweet Water, whatever it is.  This could possibly relate to the environmental catastrophe, or the weakening of the planet's spirit.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 04:28:11 am »

How is it that Lavos comes to Earth and ushers in a ridiculous ice age, yet the Tyranno Lair remains underground, untouched many years later when you go looking for the Rainbow Shell?

That entire place could be an astral projection or dream of the planet.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 09:38:03 am »
Huge assumption, with not a lot to back it up. Everythere has changed. Even the monsters, the room looks rusted. The Rusted Tryno kinda proves that it survived etc. The Rainbow shell, the the items if you didn't take them. It's all physical.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 12:54:01 am »
Just because it's physical doesn't mean it can't be an astral manifestation. See; Turnip, Masa, Mune, Doreen, etc.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 02:45:06 am »
But Masa, Mune and Doreen actually became physical, thanks to Lavos' power.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 06:56:10 am »

Proof?

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 09:40:40 am »
All that's said is that they're manifestations of Belthasar's dreams. We don't know if that's even literal, or how it came to be. Also, there's still Turnip. Was that sleeping Dragoon a conduit for the Time Devourer's power or something?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 05:53:18 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99

Proof?

The best we've got is a quote from Doreen in Enhasa:

"The power of Lavos can make hopes and dreams come true...but at what cost?"

Mind you, I don't know if it was Lavos' power that created them, and truth be told, I'm skeptical of that position. I figure a powerful guy like Melchior, with access to tons of Dreamstone, could very well have figured that one out on his own, being the Guru of Life and all.

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 06:51:24 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

Proof?

Mind you, I don't know if it was Lavos' power that created them, and truth be told, I'm skeptical of that position. I figure a powerful guy like Melchior, with access to tons of Dreamstone, could very well have figured that one out on his own, being the Guru of Life and all.

I think it could have happened when he was first building the Mammon Machine. Like in RD where the flame was, and most likely in CT, even a mental wish or some kind of link with it could have turned the Melchior dream trio into physical beings.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 07:02:57 pm »

Proof?

I think it could have happened when he was first building the Mammon Machine. Like in RD where the flame was, and most likely in CT, even a mental wish or some kind of link with it could have turned the Melchior dream trio into physical beings.

That's only in RD. In CC (thus in CT also), the Frozen Flame never granted anyone a wish. This stuff about wishes is just a fake legend like the legend claiming that the Dragon Gods are good guys and that they sealed the Flame.

Belthasar never had a wish granted by the Flame, although he could easily have wished to save Schala without having to do all his Project Kid crap. Chronopolis itself wished to control space-time and got time-crashed instead. For all the time FATE had the Flame, she never managed to reincarnate into a new species like she wished to (Lynx doesn't count). The "Time Devoured" Dragon God also didn't ask a wish to the Flame when she brought it to Terra Tower, although god knows what crazy and gloomy stuff she could have wished. After they defeated this Dragon God, Serge, Kid, Funguy, Van, Viper, etc. also didn't ask for whatever wish they wanted.

All the FF can do is some time-space tricks like accelerating the human brain's evolution, making time crash, or reverting someone's injuries (and that last thing was only because of Schala's will).

Zaperking

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 05:08:34 am »

Proof?

That's only in RD. In CC (thus in CT also), the Frozen Flame never granted anyone a wish. This stuff about wishes is just a fake legend like the legend claiming that the Dragon Gods are good guys and that they sealed the Flame.

Belthasar never had a wish granted by the Flame, although he could easily have wished to save Schala without having to do all his Project Kid crap. Chronopolis itself wished to control space-time and got time-crashed instead. For all the time FATE had the Flame, she never managed to reincarnate into a new species like she wished to (Lynx doesn't count). The "Time Devoured" Dragon God also didn't ask a wish to the Flame when she brought it to Terra Tower, although god knows what crazy and gloomy stuff she could have wished. After they defeated this Dragon God, Serge, Kid, Funguy, Van, Viper, etc. also didn't ask for whatever wish they wanted.

All the FF can do is some time-space tricks like accelerating the human brain's evolution, making time crash, or reverting someone's injuries (and that last thing was only because of Schala's will).

Well, The flame didn't allow anyone to ask a wish from it, at the top of Terra Tower. All it did was (Schala) tell them the truth, or how much of a better life they could lead or other dark stuff with "if only". Seems to me like the old RD reincarnation tactic is coming back. Schala wanted to live an "if only" life, but since she couldn't change time back then, the flame gave her the chance to live out in a different life, which Schala may have always been wishing and thinking "if only" etc. I dunno.

As to wishes. I'm not exactally sure either if it wishes them. In RD, Lavos may have played  a part into reincarnating Schala. Or the flame has it's own sentience. I think it's more to do with the power that it has that metaphorically "can make dreams come true". Zeal's dream of becoming immortal (for instance) came true thanks to the power of Lavos. Masa, Mune and Doreen may have became physical because of Lavos' Time/Space power, and it could have taken them out of the astral/dream world etc. I guess it's limitless. But since Lavos' power is essentially the planets, who knows. Maybe whatever you dream can come true one day. That may be why Crono had said that FATE dreamed or wanted or hoped to use the power to make it's own spieces. I myself would have thought that it'd be a more powerful message if FATE wanted to become human, or a God.