Author Topic: This doesn't bode well  (Read 5518 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
This doesn't bode well
« on: January 10, 2004, 01:11:45 am »
This is the Chrono Break patent, as it was:

Word Mark     CHRONO BREAK
Goods and Services     IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; video game software; sound recordings in the form of optical discs and other storage media featuring music and/or entertainment; audio visual recordings in the form of optical discs and other storage media featuring music, animation and/or entertainment; prerecorded compact discs featuring music; prerecorded digital video discs featuring music, animation and/or entertainment; prerecorded video cassettes featuring music, animation and/or entertainment; prerecorded compact discs featuring action and adventure stories and/or animated cartoon stories; prerecorded digital video discs featuring action and adventure stories and/or animated cartoon stories; prerecorded video cassettes featuring action and adventure stories and/or animated cartoon stories; mouse pads; straps for cellular phones

IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Computer game strategy guidebooks; video game strategy guidebooks; books featuring fictional stories; comics; magazines featuring video games; posters; stickers; paper banners; calendars; trading cards; playing cards; photographs

Mark Drawing Code     (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number     76345716

Filing Date     December 5, 2001

Filed ITU     FILED AS ITU

Published for Opposition     August 20, 2002

Owner     (APPLICANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Square TA Square Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN 1-8-1 Shimomeguro Meguro-ku, Tokyo JAPAN

Attorney of Record     Mark I. Peroff, Esq.

Type of Mark     TRADEMARK

Register     PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator     LIVE

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1030.html claims that the patent has been taken down. I'm searching hellishly for the page on the patent site; its searching system really sucks, to say the least. I want to verify this claim before releasing news. Help is appreciated.

Ramsus

This doesn't bode well
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 12:33:31 pm »
That's a trademark, not a patent.

EDIT: Here's a link:

EDIT2: It's session based. Used this link instead:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=76345716

So yes, it has been abandoned. If you post any news about this, be sure to credit the site you saw it at and also link to the abandoned trademark.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
This doesn't bode well
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 03:14:37 pm »
Ok, done.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
This doesn't bode well
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 03:58:42 pm »
It does and it doesn't. We all trust Square-Enix, they made the last three, right? Wrong.

Kato did. Square provided the resources, Square published it, Square drew profit from it. But Square is just a company. Kato is the man with the plan, as it were.

So if Kato wants to take Chrono Break to another company, I'd be fine with that, provided they did it properly. Hey, Mitsuda is already signed on.

Only trouble is, they still have the Japanese trademark. That could be problematic.

Drumguy074

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
This doesn't bode well
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 07:30:10 pm »
It really isn't that much of a problem, pokemon came out in japan as pocket monsters, but couldn't over here due to trademark issues.  In other news, rpgamer has said that Square-Enix claims not to have worked on a third Chrono game at all.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: This doesn't bode well
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:09 am »
It does and it doesn't. We all trust Square-Enix, they made the last three, right? Wrong.

Kato did. Square provided the resources, Square published it, Square drew profit from it. But Square is just a company. Kato is the man with the plan, as it were.

So if Kato wants to take Chrono Break to another company, I'd be fine with that, provided they did it properly. Hey, Mitsuda is already signed on.

Only trouble is, they still have the Japanese trademark. That could be problematic.

I don't think Monolith Soft would be a bad publisher to go after for this game. They didn't do too bad with Xenosaga.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:19:53 pm »
Wait, why would they have to continue the series elsewhere...?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:12 pm »
The point I was making, and I could have made it better, is that if they make a new Chrono game, I'd be more concerned with the team developing it than with the company publishing it. Wild hypothetical though.