Author Topic: On the article: The secret of nu.  (Read 6375 times)

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
On the article: The secret of nu.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 07:29:21 pm »
Challenging a mod *shakes head*...
I would not try to be a rebel... and yes please get rid of the purpleness... it hurts when your monitor is on low brightness on Zurvan.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 01:28:12 am »
I will note this and take it under review, though teh Nu article won't be revised until the rest is done.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 04:53:20 pm »
OK, I wouldn't expect any more: this was done pretty quickly and bodgily.
And it was one of my earliest posts.

Durakken

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: On the article: The secret of nu.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 04:34:29 pm »
Nu does mean water as the line is repeated in chrono cross with the water in the place of nu. It is said at least in 2 other places throughout the game that i have finished sooo Saying it's not water is dumb v.v

Celesti

• Z - Defunct - Guru of Guinness
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Drowning In Cliches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 11:27:17 pm »
Yeah I know this is a very old topic, but I think it would be pointless starting a nu one (get it, nyuck nyuck), considering what I want to say.

I'm really suprised that no one knew about this, even in all of the articles I read on this site.

Nu is not simply a greek letter for water. In ancient Egyptian mythology, Nu is literally their name for the source of all creation; the chaotic bubbling churning pool of water that existed before anything else. Out of Nu rose a lotus that bloomed and Ra, the sun emerged from it and created everything else.

So in Chrono Trigger the meaning of "All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...This is my belief...at least for now!" can be interpreted as all life begins and ends with chaos. Granted it still can mean water, but more along the lines of a chaotic swirling pool of it.

ChibiBob

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 11:59:49 pm »
I know this has little relevence to the implications in the actual game, but I found this to be pretty interesting. The Chinese character 女 (spelled out as nǚ and pronounced as "new") translates as "woman" or "female." Although women certainly aren't the cause of life's end (though granted, we will nag you to death if given the opportunity), the fact that women are the universal source of life gives that quote a new dimension of possible interpretations.

Huh. I guess Chinese class is pretty useful after all.

Celesti

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Drowning In Cliches
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 05:15:23 am »
Haha! This is actually getting very interesting...So far the beginning and end of all life can be water, chaos, or women. Actually now my money is on women now since they can bring life into this world, but if you piss one off, they can make you regret you were ever born. :P :wink:

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 06:41:17 pm »
Yes, but it has to refer to ALL life, and not all lifeforms have "Mothers"

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 03:48:35 pm »
Nu's will most likely appear in the next or last Chrono game.

If all life begins and ends with Nu, then Nu's are the destruction of life on this planet and/or everything. A group of young heroes/new heroes/past heroes will then have an adventure to stop the Nu's or something along that line of saving the world.

Celesti

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Drowning In Cliches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
Nu's will most likely appear in the next or last Chrono game.

If all life begins and ends with Nu, then Nu's are the destruction of life on this planet and/or everything. A group of young heroes/new heroes/past heroes will then have an adventure to stop the Nu's or something along that line of saving the world.

Yes...The Nu's will smack the world down to 1 hp and then attack it again before it has a chance to heal itself. Damn dirty Nu's! All joking aside though, that would be an interesting, if unexpected plot.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 05:48:04 am »
Slightly off-topic, but I wonder if it was Toriyama by himself who designed the Nu and its background or if someone else like Kato told him what they had in mind and he just had to draw it?

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 11:56:38 am »
So in Chrono Trigger the meaning of "All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...This is my belief...at least for now!" can be interpreted as all life begins and ends with chaos. Granted it still can mean water, but more along the lines of a chaotic swirling pool of it.

OK it's almost 1 in the morning so don't blame me if this sounds retarded. But if it can be interpreted as all life begins and ends with chaos. Chaos could be Lavos.
He gave intelligence to the humans and shaped evolution. Then in 1999 AD it ended with Lavos.
Anyway "All begins with Lavos and end with Lavos" make sense to me :D
But it's just speculation and probably is not the true meaning (if there is any)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »
REVIVE!

I've recently come across some information that may explain part of the Nus' appearance, namely, their mane:

Take a look at the mane of the Nu; I have reason to believe that this is representative of the wildebeest in Africa.

Take a look at the wildebeests' mane; notice the shag, yet some how defined mane. Save the green color, similarities arise. This may be only coincidence, but bare with me and read the excerpt I found in A Spanish to English dictionary.

Quote from: Spanish-English Dictionary
ņu (m)
n. wildebeest, gnu, African wild animal
This definition seems to solidify my hypothesis and give it some credence. I'll leave the rest up to further discussion. Other than the mane, they sorta look like an eggplant.(Symbolizing fruit of the planet/Entity or the Time Egg, maybe... :?)

Quick aside:

The behavior of Nu can be explained by the interjection form of nu:
Moments of impatience and curiosity:
Quote from: Babylon English Dictionary
nu
interj. well? so? (expression of impatience or curiosity)

Quick aside(2):

I believe it was previously mentioned that Nu(as in the Greek letter v) represents, in the wave equation, the speed of a wave. Adding to this, an importation from Xenogears that the 'Entity' in that game was a waveform existence(I bring this into the discussion due to the already innumerable connections between the games.). Perhaps the Nu-v relationship could be applied to the relationship between the Nu and the Entity.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 05:27:36 pm »
the wild beast seems like a pretty big stretch, although I will agree with the wave connection. Shouldn't we try and base theory's off CT/RD/CC, not games kinda like them when ever possible?

brifye19

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • The black wind howls again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 11:08:02 pm »
The nu holds a mysterious significance. All the way back to 65 million B.C. To The end of Time.

All things begin and end with Nu!