Author Topic: Game stuff  (Read 10869 times)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 01:22:11 am »
Haha. Typical Marle.
Looks great! I dont know about the Chrono's story text though...
Is that going to be in game?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Game stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 02:04:04 am »
Can Marle die? She is one of the only video game characters I would really, truly wish to kill. And I've met Rose in MGS2.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 07:41:11 am »
I would like to see Marle die also, but not for the same reason as Mr. Blunt over there ;). I think it would be a great (minor) motif for the story and feel of the game, as it would make for a more emotionally moving experience.

kickacecrono0091

Game stuff
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 12:19:24 pm »
hmmm I didn't  think Marle was too bad of a character, but it would come as a cmoplete surprise to everybody and would add some emotional depth. On the downside, tons of Marle-lover hate mail.

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/solid_star_16
Game stuff
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 12:31:33 pm »
Yeah, that could be a bad thing.  I like Marle... but you're right, it would be a very emotional drive to kick someone's butt.  We can use the idea of the stream again.  Yeah, Marle dying will be able to happen, but if it doesn't happen, then you get a different ending.  (There will be a lot of endings... ugh...)
And what do you mean the "Crono's story" text?  Do you mean the last picture?  I have it show up like Alex's Story, and like the 1005 AD stuff.
In other news... I've worked a LOT on Crono's quest last night.  It's coming along very VERY nicely (up until 5 this morning fooling with everything).
So here's my question... in this I have Porre Military Training Grounds.  And there's three of them (North, West, and East).  In each I have a general (or a commander, or a captain, or whatever you want me to call the guy).  There's also a bunch of troops  (and by that I mean at least 20 per area) marching and working out in perfect step with each other.  Do we want to eventually simulate a battle with these people (any of them).  I'm thinking that they're the ones that eventually attack Guardia while Crono and Marle are away.  Let me know what you think.

Oh, and I just htought of something... rather than having Marle die what if we do this... have her and Crono become separated.  In one scenario she dies, but in the other, she gets away and ends up going on her own quest... which you'll be able to start in New Game +.  Again, let me know.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
Actually, these are all great ideas, and having marle die only sometimes shifts the blame off us and onto the player for thier bad decisions, driving them to rectify that through the rest of the game.

About the text, I think that it's a little bit lairy - garish even - when these big fat letters pop up midgame and proclaim that you are playing Chrono's story.
Maybe we could just have a select character menu at the start, or a scene a the begginning of the game where your actions dictate who you have.
Ech character leads thier own seperate story after that, and it is, I thik, very clear to the player who they are playing as. Until, of course, the player charcters paths converge or whatever.

Other than that, I think you're doing a great job! You are putting alot of quality effort into this.

kickacecrono0091

Game stuff
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 05:14:52 pm »
So your saying if you do something, when Marle goes off on a quest, you could start a New Game+ that goes through her quest? That'd be nifty.

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 11:38:24 pm »
Yeah, and not all that difficult to do too... just that it'll take time to program her quest :-p
The thing that will be probably the best about this game is how all of the stories will cross over each other and some wil interact with each other.

As for what's happening right now... Alex's quest is on hold until we can all figure out what happens after he leaves the hospital.  Due to the bridge being out (it gets hit by an element (Tornado)) at the beginning of Crono's quest, Alex is stuck in Porre for the moment.  My guess is that he should talk to the other generals (commanders or whatever) and eventually meet up with mr slave dude - Therris I think we named him?  From there... a quest to rebuild the bridge...

As for Crono... after the forest is finished, and we either rescue or say screw you Alex, I'm thinking, Crono should either pay someone off to rebuild the bridge or something happens that allows him to get back to Guardia easily enough to report.  I don't know, I think we need to brainstorm on that one.

Let me know what you want to do.  But as far as the game is progressing, it's coming along very nicely.  I am thoroughly enjoying programming this game and am myself looking forward to playing it (moreso than I do now for testing reasons).  
I think I may post the script as of now later on.  I kind of have to go through and find it all :-p  haha.  Yeah, anyways, let me know what you think and such people.

By the way, thanks for the compliments, they mean a lot.

kickacecrono0091

tunes
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 06:08:59 pm »
Wiesty needs to know wat music he'll be doing. So if you could just list the areas in the demo he'd probably be able to tell or else we could tell him. Also, he needs to know how long he should make the theme for the cave wear you find Alex.(Where he nearly dies, you fight the monster, etc etc.)

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 02:10:31 am »
This all sounds great.
Things are coming along, and its mostly thanks to YOU, Solidstar.
But thanks to everyone else too, just to make them feel happy.
One thing to note, in the scene where we see the bridge being destroyed, or whatever, can we have the ferry passing underneath? Because people would ask, 'What about the ferry?' Other suggestions are welcome, as that scenario is a little crappy.

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 12:43:00 pm »
It's not a very fun fun scene to be hoonest.  It takes place on the world map and you see a couple of tornadoes spawn out of nowhere next to the bridge.  Then, you hear a crumbling followed by there not being a bridge anymore... If I can remember I'll create a broken sprite to put in its place.

For music... let me think...
- Overworld (Guardia for Crono and Porre for Alex)
- Forest
- Cave
- Overworld of Porre (this will be used for Crono's quest): make this one sound kind of dramatic I suppose if possible (right now I'm using the Ocean Palace music)
- Boss Music
- Battle Music
- I already have the perfect music for Alex's intro, so that's not so bad, but we could use some for Crono's.  Something half dark, mysterious, and something to give it a kick.

That's all the music I can think of for now.  Time to go take a final and then back here to work on Chrono Stream.  By the way, anybody have a good idea what the monster in the cave should look like?  I already have Therris' sprites made up (took human Glenn and gave him blue hair, red cape... looks cool).  Let me know.

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 05:03:54 pm »
That's what I thought would be done, concerning the bridge. But I state again, What happened to the ferry?

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 05:11:49 pm »
Who knows... I guess the ferry can take Crono and Marle back after their cave adventure ends.  I have to remember to put that in.  Ok, back to work.

kickacecrono0091

Game stuff
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 05:41:44 pm »
Thanks for the music. But what do you mean by Overworld of Porre? Is it like the Porre overworld theme but a bit more dramatic, or a new song to play while your on Porre as Crono?

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Game stuff
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 09:16:25 pm »
Both pretty much would be good.  For Crono, dungeonesque music; for Alex, a kind of militaristic theme.