Poll

Which of the following enemies did you find to be toughest when you first encountered it?

Lavos (1st form)
1 (1.8%)
Lavos (2nd form)
2 (3.6%)
Lavos (3rd form)
6 (10.7%)
Magus (either encounter)
8 (14.3%)
Spekkio (Nu form)
9 (16.1%)
Mother Brain, Son of Sun, or another "optional" boss
15 (26.8%)
MasaMune
1 (1.8%)
Other
14 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: November 19, 2005, 01:22:35 am

Author Topic: Toughest enemy in the game? (1st encounter)  (Read 13133 times)

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Toughest enemy in the game? (1st encounter)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2005, 11:47:15 pm »
I *actually* had no trouble with any of the golems on my first run. However, ever since my first playthrough of the game I was at LEAST level 40 before fighting Giga Gaia, so overtraining is a tradition.

srs0

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2005, 04:36:45 am »
Wow, a big welcoming reception, thanks everyone!

Quote from: Burning Zeppelin
So...you would say thanks before he even said welcome  :shock:

Sort of, but I'd put that I had edited it to say that...  It's just one of my weird quirks I suppose.  I don't like to make a new post unless I have something useful to contribute normally, so I tend to edit if possible.

Quote from: V_Translanka
Are we counting Golem? Because that'd be nuts to think that people would legitamately beat it their first playthrough w/no fair warning what-so-ever...

Well, I don't know about others, but I'm quite paranoid about that stuff.  I'm always ready for surprise attacks.  In other words, I'm almost always fully healed and all.  That and my strategy at that point in the game involved Chrono, Marle, and Frog, so I had huge amounts of healing there.  Aura whirl, heal, etc.  So yeah, it is possible to legitimately beat him on your first run through with no warning, but it takes a certain degree of paranoia I suppose.

Quote from: V_Translanka
Oh yeah, Golem Boss totally ran on me first playthrough...but on my first New Game+ I was all over the bastard...You won't run on me ever again!!! BWAH HAHA!!!

Golem Boss runs?  I don't think I've ever had that happen to me.  Either that or I totally forget it maybe?  I don't know.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 10:13:33 am »
I think it was a joke.
The first time on golem boss I thought i killed him...then i read a FAQ which totaly destroyed my dream of have won...

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 01:59:53 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
I *actually* had no trouble with any of the golems on my first run. However, ever since my first playthrough of the game I was at LEAST level 40 before fighting Giga Gaia, so overtraining is a tradition.

Yeah, I know what you mean, in Final Fantasy VI I had leveled up to level 60 before the opera house. I had no trouble winning anymore :P

Solidstar

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/solid_star_16
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 03:04:44 pm »
Wow... I've got to say that's impressive.  I think the most I was at was level 14 / 15

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2005, 04:27:12 pm »
Wow that is very impresive :roll:

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2005, 05:48:45 pm »
Quote from: Solidstar
Wow... I've got to say that's impressive.  I think the most I was at was level 14 / 15

Thanks only a couple of Ultimas took dow Final Cefca :P

Other is winning with 33% [9]

Aurora Firestorm

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2005, 11:17:05 pm »
My hardest boss to date is Lavos 2, solely because I think my game has a freaked-out power stat for him. Almost every time he used Grand Stone, my party was instantly 90% dead. That meant 2 people dead and one barely alive. That was at full health -- otherwise, instant KO. I wanted to reach into the screen and kill him myself after a while.

Magus was just time-consuming, not hard, to me. I kicked his butt first time around either way; the barriers made it longer.

Giga Gaia was a challenge, but not so annoying that I wanted to throw my controller. That's about my standard for boss super-difficulty.

Golem Boss was easy, even keeping him from running away, to me. I died to the Golems I was supposed to die to, and since that's part of the game, I don't consider them real boss battles. I know you can beat them, but I never bothered to level up that much.

I also never bothered to fight Spekkio in Nu form, so he's not on my list at all; by the time he got there, I was weary of boss fights and just wanted to get endings. Spekkio didn't matter that much to the game in terms of his battles, so I ignored him. Maybe I can count him as the hardest, because each time I fought him before, he creamed me, but I think I was under-level, so I won't count it.

I also won't count Flea -- she was the first boss I ever fought because my friend plunked me down into the middle of the game and I had no clue what I was doing. I was so happy when I finally got to Slash...and then I died. But the battle was so memorable :) Whenever I hear the generic boss music, I think of that one.

Optional bosses were no big deal, except it took me a fight or two to figure out Son of Sun. He was a pain, but not super-hard once I figured him out. (Area attacks = bad.)

Masamune was in the middle. He took a while to die, but wasn't much of a problem.

Some people mentioned Queen Zeal. Hallation made me want to scream, but I had so many Full Elixirs (Is that what they're called? I forget. Those super-healing items.) by then because I'm item-paranoid. I never use anything powerful or super-healing, because I know that someday I'll hit that evil boss battle where I'll burn up my entire inventory...most of the time I end up keeping them for the whole game because I always expect someone worse...

Come to think of it, I was fairly well-prepared for every boss battle except Lavos' second form. I may be forgetting a boss, but I don't think so.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2005, 06:24:17 pm »
Lavos? I remember myself scanning all the world for Elixirs and MegaElixirs before the battle. I think I had collected 15 or more ME, but I only had to use 2 or 3 of them.  :D

The GolemTwins were a challenge. For some reason I don't remember, the first time I played through, I had lost many times (but not as many as with Nizbel), until I noticed the newly obtained skill 'Luminaire'  :twisted: ...

And yes, the GolemBoss might flee. This is what he is supposed to do (he is afraid of heights). However, you can defeat him before he runs away, if you use many strong attacks.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2005, 07:45:53 pm »
Whoa, he runs away? I've always killed him...never knew that =O.

Jasson Knight

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lunaescence.com/
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2005, 08:29:49 pm »
I think it's a tie between the Golem Twins and the Guardian for me.  I remember it took me forever to beat both of them.

I actually did beat Magus the first time I fought him, but when it was over only Lucca was still alive and with only a few HP left at that.  (Reminds me of how I beat Dario the first time...)

Naz

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2005, 08:42:23 pm »
Giga Gaia was really hard for me, first time I died.

ArBiTeR_oF_tImE

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2005, 02:35:54 am »
Eh for me, it would have to be Giga Gaia. omg the first time i fought him i was like...kersplat. hehe ^ ^
I thought Magus was pretty easy, and Lavos 1st form was kind of hard, when you faught him at the Ocean Palace. But other than that, no problems.

ZellTT

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2005, 05:01:14 pm »
I'm saying Mother Brain and Zeal (when she's the face and hands). Mother Brain kept confusing Ayla, in which Ayla seemed to always kill Frog, then Robo.

Zeal in her final form was hard as hell. She kept killing off Crono, and so I beat her with only Ayla and Frog, barely.

srs0

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2005, 08:50:59 pm »
Quote from: ArBiTeR_oF_tImE
Eh for me, it would have to be Giga Gaia. omg the first time i fought him i was like...kersplat. hehe ^ ^

Wow, I'm not the only one to make my first post in this thread!  Welcome!

I found that if you could survive the initial damage from Giga Gaia (when he uses the two dual hand attacks before you even get a chance to do anything), then you've survived the hardest part involving him.  That's just my experience though.