Author Topic: Memory MAP  (Read 72041 times)

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 09:10:42 pm »
^ all the addresses in your post are 7Fxxxx, they should be 7Exxxx.

The memory locations doc (posted in CL's original post) has a mistake with the addresses for that.  TF is displaying the correct ones, though.  Anyway, here's an idea of the code you'll want to use for the Epoch:

Step 1:
-----

Category Memory Copy
Command Memory Copy
Variant 4E
Copy to 7E0290
Data: 00000000A0

The four 00 bytes are the X and Y coords (2 bytes each)  If you leave it like that it'll place the Epoch at 0,0 on the map (very upper-left corner)  The A0 is the Epoch status byte.  A0 is for upgraded, and IIRC 80 is for the original Epoch.

Here's an easy method to get the Epoch X and Y coords you want to use without having to calculate stuff.  In ZSNES, fly the Epoch to where you want it to be parked in your event code.  Then open the cheat search and hit Size 1 byte, Format Hex, Comparative Search, and press Start.  Then press the View button.  Scroll to 7E0290 and you'll see the 4 coordinates bytes.

Let's say I do this, and see the following:

7E0290 A8
7E0291 01
7EE292 10
7E0293 01

Then instead of the 00000000A0 above, enter A8011001A0.

Step 2:
-----

Assignment
Value-to-Mem
Variant 4B
Value 1F0
Store to 7E029F
Width Two Byte

The value box is where you put the map you want the Epoch to be on.  In this case it is 1F0, 1000 AD map.  Use 1F1 for 600 AD, 1F2 for 2300 AD, etc. etc.

-----

If you put in A8011001A0 for Data in Step 1, and 1F0 for Value in Step 2, it'll park a winged Epoch right in front of Crono's house.  :D

BTW, don't forget, if you don't where the Epoch is you can press Select to view the zoomed out map and look for the flashing yellow dot.

Have fun.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 11:28:40 pm »
Thanks I'll try it after the Rose Bowl game,

GO USC!!!

--jp

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 02:03:15 am »
Ug.  First USC loses now this.  I got the epoch and everything to load where I wanted to (Note instead of doing Memory Copy, something I'm a little afraid of, I used 2 different Assignments to the memory spots) but Now when I go to enter the Epoch one member of my party enters but noone else follows.  By far this is the most unexpected error I've ever encountered.

I'll update this post if I find out more info

Edit:  

I've checked it on a  completely different ROM with the save results here's my exact Code

Mem.EpochStatus=A0
Mem.EpochXCoord=193
Mem.EpochYCoord=11B
Mem.EpochMapLocation=1F0
AddPartyActive(Lucca)
AddPartyActive(Robo)

To test you can put that in the startup of Crono's Room, walk outside and try to go in the Epoch.  It works if you don't have the two other people in your party

--jp

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 03:44:36 am »
Found the problem.  Your Epoch can't land in that spot, even though the PCs can walk there.  It's too close to one of the nearby exits - Epoch can't land on exit tiles.  When you change the X, Y coords, check the Epoch can land first, then look at the coords in the cheat search.

Definately a strange problem to run into, though.  Not as frustrating as one problem I had when trying to figure out the Epoch a long time ago.  The Epoch would be in one spot, but the shadow that's underneath it would be somewhere else.  You could only board where the shadow was, and then the game would freeze...lol.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 03:53:34 am »
well JLukas you saved me hours of work......again.  Using the overworld Tile Properties it looks like my epoch is completely surrounded by "Etheral" (pink)

and there's no exits anywhere...

Thanks

--jp

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 04:14:15 am »
You can land anywhere in the pink area.  You can see the yellow (exit) very close to your original coords that was causing the problem.

Going in-game and checking the Epoch can land in the spot first is the best way, however.  It's hard to tell from the TF map since it's often a matter of pixels, and the PCs (Epoch too, I think) move on the edges of tiles instead of directly in the middle of them.  Plus, there's the 3D depth when the Epoch is flying versus parked.  Anyway, if you can land, the memcpy should work OK.

Also, don't confuse that tile properties map with the Epoch NLZ (No Landing Zone.)  The Epoch NLZ is a specific square on the map that is hardcoded so the Epoch can't land no matter what.  On 1000 AD, it's the Fiona's Forest copytiles area in the middle of the ocean (turn off layer 1)  If ever needed, you can adjust the coords for that in the No Landing Zone section in the menu bar on the left.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 04:20:01 am »
If possible I would like for you to take a look at my project.  I've tried both methods (going in landing and browsing, and just doing an area completely surrounded by pink) and I get the same error.

I'm not doing 1000 AD by the way I just happened to reproduce the error there and it was easier to explain it to you.  I'm trying to do it on 12,000 BC.    

--jp

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 04:32:51 am »
pm sent.

First though, try changing the X & Y coords by +/- 10 pixels and see if you can get them all on board.  That's all I needed to do with the 1000 AD problem coords example.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 04:37:24 am »
Hmm, in fact, it looks like it could be the Epoch NLZ causing it, and you just happen to be editing on a spot on the map where it used to be.  In the location menu on the left scroll to the bottom and change all 4 No Landing Zone boxes to 0.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 04:44:50 am »
It's currently grayed out...how do I make it editable?

--jp

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 04:52:39 am »
Ah, you're using this on the F6 map? (Last Village instead of F4 snowing 12000 BC)  Go to File -> Patches and apply the All Maps Have NLZ Patch.  then File -> Save, close TF completely and then open it again and edit.  In fact, it should just default to all zeros by itself.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 05:01:19 am »
tear...I really thought we had it that time.  Still no dice even w/o a no landing zone.  I PM'd you the patch and instructions, so by all means feel free to go to bed.  I'll mess around a bit more and edit this post if I figure it out before tomorrow.  Kinda got a personal vendetta going here now.

A bit of discouraging news....I use the "debug girl" to get rid of 2 party members, and then fly in my fancy epoch and land it in a perfectly good spot.  Then I save and open TF and make the same girl add my two party members back.  I leave my epoch is still parked where I left it....and only one character gets in.....

We getting to the shadow problem in weirdness (jk still doesn't sound nearly as weird as the shadow haha)??

--jp

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 02:51:44 pm »
Hmm...it's very picky with pixels.

I put in X coord 04A3 and Y coord 01B3.  This puts it in the middle of the snow field.  Try to board and PC2 and PC3 get stuck.

Changed X coord to 04A0 and y coord to 01B0 and now it works perfect.

Use "clean" numbers for the second byte - 00, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.  Tried a bunch of tests and it's working - so far......

FYI, your Epoch time gauge when you press Y is broken - were you changing stuff in OW events, or any idea how it got broken? It doesn't appear to be related to the coords/boarding problem.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 07:41:42 pm »
Wow, it was that easy  haha.  Um yea were porting the whole project over to a clean ROM cause of that and the 65 MIL map.  I'll try it with the new Coords.  

Awesome, just tried it myself and it works fine.  I'll add this to my little How to... thread.

--jp

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Memory MAP
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 05:18:57 am »
I'm not sure if Overworld Memory and Location Memory are different BUT

7E0041
7E0042
7E0045
7E0046

These change Layer 3 on the overworld...I'm not sure exactly how yet.  It's solidity color and brightness.  Probably 43, and 44 have something to do with it too.

--jp