Author Topic: The Bend of Time  (Read 5628 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« on: December 29, 2003, 07:13:40 am »
mmhh..ok.
I'm sure you'll say we can't fully trust Toriyama's interpretation of Chrono's world in Nuumamonjaa; but, well at the beginning of the "OAV", we can see a weird aura of energy appearing around Leene Square, letting monsters going in the fair...
Among these monsters, there are those fancy winged apes from the prehistory, and even Johnny "the Man", from the future.

So, I guess Toriyama didn't really care about these thingies. But later, when Square made CC, maybe they created the Bend of Time to justify that phenomena, the BoT that monsters (and robots) uses to travel through dimensions?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 12:29:14 am »
Doesn't help that the Bend of Time is an enigma. I was inclined to think that it's a sort of intersection between dimensions, as one can access it from either dimension and fight monsters from both. As to who created it and such...who knows.

Let us also make this thread applicable to the End of Time. GrayLensman has an interesting theory, that, once ripened, will help scientifically explain the EoT.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 03:36:07 am »
Two thoughts about the End of Time

The End of Time seems to have a timeless, unchanging quality.  I introduce the possibility that  the EoT behaves like Lavos' pocket dimension.  That is, time passes, but not relative to any other time period.

The EoT is often considered to be an actual space-time co-ordinate.  Considering the infinite time designation, I consider this to be an impossibility.  The End of Time appears to be a state of existence.  It is describes as the point of least resistance during time travel, which would indicate that the EoT has the lowest energy level of space-time.  This is analogous to the absolute zero energy level of molecular motion; the End of Time is the state where time comes to a halt.  If time is quantized, the EoT would be the base energy state of time.  The End of Time would exist as a single infinitesimal moment for all time.

funi30y

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 03:48:39 am »
are you saying then that end of time will always exist for all time?  For example if the time devourer was actually successful do you think the end of time would also be destroyed?

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 12:40:49 pm »
The end of time is moment, a title for a time period.  However, no matter how long you stay there, the time does not change, it is never anything other then the 'end of time'.  Time has no relevence there and the void outside does not change.  I think Grey has the right idea.  It is not like the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, which continually transports back to the exact moment, but instead it IS that moment.  It would, as funi30y said, exist for all time, because it IS all time.

For all we know, the Time Devourer may be the cause of the end of time, time ends when he destroys it, and the time is never specified.  He devours time so that nothing exists, and that exact moment may be preserved forever as 'the end of time'.

Now, a bend is when something changes direction.  You bend your elbows, the road bends.  Could the bend of time be where time changed direction?

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
The Bend of Time
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 03:26:48 pm »
Quote from: Empiric
For all we know, the Time Devourer may be the cause of the end of time, time ends when he destroys it, and the time is never specified.  He devours time so that nothing exists, and that exact moment may be preserved forever as 'the end of time'.

I'm not sure I like that theory.  It seems to suggest that the Time Devourer, which came into existence as a result of Crono & Co.'s meddling, caused the existence of the End of Time to which Crono & Co. came before they really started hopping about the eras.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 05:07:06 pm »
In addition, the Devourer consumes all time and space, including the space-time coordinates of the least resistance.

Empiric

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 12:40:41 pm »
To continue the absolute 0 of time idea and apply it to the bend of time:

The EoT and BoT both have the same characteristics: they both have an unchanging temporal quality and they are points of 'least resistance' in which things can travel to and from them.  An end is when something stops, a bend is when something changes directions.  I propose that the bend of time is like the EoT in that it is a point of low resistance because it is where time almost stops, and then changes direction.
Just a concept to mull over.  The BoT is close to the absolute 0, but not there.

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 11:05:38 pm »
Remember, the scenery in the End of time isn't natural. When Gaspar first appeared there, it was all empty.

Therefore, the Bend of time shouldn't really have that scenery unless Gaspar was also there or Spekko created it (seems to be strognly implied that Spekko's there).

My personal belief about the Bend of Time is that when the Time Crash occured, consiterably more than 3 people were transfered through time at the same time. I think the Bend of Time, being the path of least resistance, was somehow snagged in the proccess. When all that stuff was pulled to 7000 bc (if I have the date correctly), so was the End of Time. Perhaps not the TRUE end of time, whatever that may be, but Gaspar's little portion of it.

With this no longer being the path of least resistance due to its residing within the timeline instead of at the end of time (again, whatever THAT means) that could also explain why the gates no longer seem to act as gates to other time periods.

An interesting aside is that, if that was the case, that'd now put all three Gurus into the same time period again.

Crowley

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 09:23:58 am »
To me the End of Time would seem to be similar to the heat death of the universe where entropy is at it's fullest. Energy and matter are spread evenly across the entire universe. But since the universe is expanding, entropy can never be actually total. Stated in simple mathematical terms, as time approaches infinity, entropy approaches 100%. With this explanation designating date "infinity" to the End of Time is appropriate. An universe where entropy is total could be said to have reached the end of time since there are no sentient beings present and ultimately no change, and therefore no reference frame by which time could be measured.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
The Bend of Time
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 03:21:04 am »
Quote from: Daggart
Remember, the scenery in the End of time isn't natural. When Gaspar first appeared there, it was all empty.

Therefore, the Bend of time shouldn't really have that scenery unless Gaspar was also there or Spekko created it (seems to be strognly implied that Spekko's there).

My personal belief about the Bend of Time is that when the Time Crash occured, consiterably more than 3 people were transfered through time at the same time. I think the Bend of Time, being the path of least resistance, was somehow snagged in the proccess. When all that stuff was pulled to 7000 bc (if I have the date correctly), so was the End of Time. Perhaps not the TRUE end of time, whatever that may be, but Gaspar's little portion of it.

With this no longer being the path of least resistance due to its residing within the timeline instead of at the end of time (again, whatever THAT means) that could also explain why the gates no longer seem to act as gates to other time periods.

An interesting aside is that, if that was the case, that'd now put all three Gurus into the same time period again.

Now THAT'S an interesting theory.  And one not terribly different from a theory I came up with well over a year ago.  Not that I'm accusing you of stealing my idea or being unoriginal, just observing that our ideas are very similar.  Great minds think alike, huh?

[Edit]Check out http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=353 and read pretty deep to find my version of that theory.[/Edit]

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 01:56:32 pm »
A slightly different take on the End of Time:

The End of Time is the end of the Universe, when the entropy gradient has finally reached zero and all movement in the universe has stopped. Scientists now believe that "time" is really just movement, IE, this nanosecond is only different from that nanosecond because something has MOVED. Therefore, when you are in that structure in the End of Time, that is the only place that movement still exists and therefore the only place that time still moves. Because nothing ELSE moves one can easily say that there is something there that is keeping the movevment (time flow) of the structure seperate, which could perhaps be attributed to magic. (As Spekkio is there, and he is obviously very powerful.)

And because this little structure at the End of Time is the only place left that has any movement (time flow) at all in the Universe, it should seem logical that it would have the least resistance to time travelers moving there.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 08:53:33 pm »
Spekkio isn't that powerful if we can defeat him..

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 09:06:46 pm »
Defeating him is still relative; he is totally unscathed from the attack, requiring no healing and able to give the party a fine fight each time.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
The Bend of Time
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 11:01:27 am »
Sorry, Should have added more.

We can also defeat characters like Masa and Mune who have the power to go back in time.

But if we can defeat them, that makes people like Crono and co equivelant to the power of gods.. Just that they don't have any power from themselves, except determination.

Also when I say defeated, since characters like Spekkio and Masa and Mune never die, I'd suggest that Crono and co. didn't want them to die. Like sparring with someone.

I think I was to lazy to add alot more writing to my post this morning. Spekkio does have power. Like how he gave magic to Crono and co, but he does have a big ego, even though he can be defeated in a battle lol,