Author Topic: There an easy answer to this?  (Read 6056 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
There an easy answer to this?
« on: December 24, 2003, 01:08:38 pm »
V Translanka brought up on gamefaqs that if Schala retained her pendant, if could have never been passed down the Guardia line. I tried to cover this using the fact that time travelers are shielded even from prevention of their own creation, but merely stepping out of time would have allowed a future from 12,000 B.C. onward in which the pendant was not passed down to exist.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 08:39:31 pm »
Then I believe we may have the only true plot hole in existence found. I do not wish to resign my hope for consistency, but there appears to be no resolution to this

Wait! I think I have the answer, and it is safeguarded by our axioms!

We must beg the question: did the pendant really do anything other than serve to begin Chrono Trigger? Is there even any mention of it in 600 A.D.? No! This means that its only function and apparent use in history is that of allow Marle and Crono to enter 600 A.D. to set in motion the events of Chrono Trigger. This is what the plot hole operates on -- that Schala keeping her pendant at the Tesseract prevents this from happening. However, we also know that time travelers are shielded from effects they wrought on their past! Thus, it would not matter either way, as the Grandfather Paradox does not apply, and the pendant would have only had one use on a time traveler who is shielded from the effects of her own meddling! Thus, Marle and her actions are preserved even though the item that caused them no longer exists in its past context.

HURRAH FOR CONSISTENCY! We have saved Masato Kato and the Chrono series' reputation!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003, 06:11:33 am »
If you check my Chrono Cross thread of the same fasion, I think someone brought up an even better answer. In that after Kid was done with the Pendent, it was given back to Schala. After thinking this through, I believe this to be that simple answer.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003, 04:51:56 pm »
Yes, but if Schala had the pendant to begin with and kept it to give to Kid later, it would still be absent for a few thousand years in history, meaning Trigger could once again not occur and Kid would not exist to have it given to and returned from in the first place.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 05:32:24 pm »
Are we sure the Astral Amulet from CC and the Pendant from CT are even one and the same?

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 05:56:30 pm »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
Are we sure the Astral Amulet from CC and the Pendant from CT are even one and the same?

Are we sure Marle's Pendant and Schala's Pendant are even one and the same?

I believe the answer is yes, but I can't quite remember. If it is yes, then I have no fuggin' clue.

Mayhaps there is some crazy answer based upon the Pendant going haywire either naturally or with some "divine intervention," that infamous term, and creating a Gate only to get sucked into the Tesseract by accident, just as Schala was after the destruction of the Mammon Machine, and wind up returning to Schala conveniently in time for her to pass it on to Kid.

Mayhaps we shall never know.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 07:23:03 pm »
Yeah, they're all the same. Only one pendant was made by Melchior, and this is confirmed by the fact that only Schala could activate the Mammon Machine with it; I'm sure Queen Zeal would have jumped at the chance to do it herself as soon as possible if she weren't required. Also, several Zealians remark that Marle's is similar to Schala's (similar, as in mistaking it outright for the princess's. Melchior does this too).

From somewhere in Cross, I suddenly believed the crackpot notion that Lucca forged the Astral Amulet. Although Lucca is certainly capable of building incomplete Time Eggs, it is said otherwise that Schala gives Kid her pendant.

Thus, apparently, Dreamstone...can have time-altering effects. Or at least amplify them? Wha? We have a choice here after researching this a bit. Either Dreamstone has the power to alter time, or Schala/Kid/Marle use it to confuct and amplify a power that has time altering abilities. Ok, #2 seems correct; Lavos' emanations were notorious for causing disruptions and half-baked gates. Since he still resided within the planet during the events of Chrono Cross, perhaps Kid's pendant only used 'Mammon energy,' as I call it, to have the effects of rewinding time to a safer position.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 09:55:44 pm »
Actually, I was never really sure if the Astral Amulet and Schala/Nadia's Pendent were in fact the same. It never outright says these two things are, in fact, the same. There are slight hints that could make you believe this, but nothing outright.

I thought this because I didn't think the Astral Amulet and Kid's Necklace were the same. As you can see, her Necklace is a purple color, one like a teardrop, and the others almost like large pearls (of the same purple color). The Astral Amulet in the Item Menu...Damn...

After looking at the Astral Amulet's Item pic, I realized that might be wrong...The Astral Amulet's Item pic is that of a small bag with string. On the bag is a very familier pattern (the one on the locked doors in Zeal) and the description is "A small, star-colored talisman". Looks like the Astral Amulet IS Schala/Nadia's Pendent.

Cromage

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 01:30:22 am »
Hmm.... I held onto the half-baked idea that somehow, AFTER CC, the pendant makes its way into Marle's line by being carried by a random time traveler, a la Soul Reaver. (I need to play those games; I'm taking that example on faith)

I guess some of those other things could work too. >_>

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 11:17:38 pm »
The scene that show what hapened in the original timeline (in North Cape event) , just after Gaspar end in the EoT, some  shining thing fall near him.
That  may be the Chrono Trigger or,perhaps, the pendant.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 07:52:39 pm »
I don't think it was something near him, I think it was simply his arrival into the EoT...Or if anything, that it was the Chrono Trigger...I thought we'd already discussed this. It's just the grandfather paradox stuff...Marle already got the Pendant in the second timeline, before they changed things involving Schala, so, Schala retains her Pendent, and, I suppose, later when the Gates close and everything's done, Marle's Pendent gets Time Bastard'd (if I may use ZeaLitY's words).

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 11:22:04 pm »
In truth, there's two doubts about Marle's pendant:
if the pendant was passed down through the Guardia royal family as some national treasure or a personal object (what could indicate why Marle used it out of the castle).
Another is how it end in the Guardia family, through Schala or other person?

Another thing is:
Was the pendant that appear with Marle after the Ocean Palace's incident the one that Crono was with or the Schala one.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 02:50:06 am »
Quote from: Swordmaster
Another thing is:
Was the pendant that appear with Marle after the Ocean Palace's incident the one that Crono was with or the Schala one.

Wow.  That is a good question.  I'd not considered that before.  Then that begs the question....if it was the Schala one, what happened to the Crono one?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 04:55:27 am »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
Quote from: Swordmaster
Another thing is:

Wow.  That is a good question.  I'd not considered that before.  Then that begs the question....if it was the Schala one, what happened to the Crono one?

Schala says something like she's using the last of her pendant's power to teleport the party out of the place. So it should be her normal pendant since Crono's one was recharged more recently at the Mammon Machine. The party gets back Crono's pendant only after they wake up at the "last village", that's what the old guy says I think.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 11:14:27 pm »
Some say that the energy sphere above Crono when he use the "Mega" Luminaire is the pendant. What happen to that sphere ?