Author Topic: Religious discussion split from "Why did Porre Invade?&  (Read 6397 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Religious discussion split from "Why did Porre Invade?&
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 02:22:29 am »
Quote from: jthomp1286
Quote from: knuck
He already did, remember Jesus?
I really hope you'rte joking.
I also hope that you know there's no proof that Jesus existed or even worse, was son of "God".

I'm insulted you think I'm joking. Try reading the Bible, more specifically the New Testament. Its all there. No proof He was the Son of Godf? Ever heard of the Trinity? The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all in one. Before you say, that's not possible, remember, He's God. He can do things like that. The whole point of Him sending Jesus was so that God Himself could walk among us and teach us through Jesus. That's not to say Jesus wasn't a seperate person, but that's the beauty of it, He was and is both.

Maybe you're willing to live your life based on the tellings of a book, the likes of which you have no real idea of what has been through, all the translations and corruption and retranslations and all that, that may or may not have happened in the last 2000 years, but I'm not. You know the oldest version of the bible they can find is from 400 AD?

Religion is simply mankinds excuse to believe in something after this life, something to cover makind's fear of nothing after death, to give hope to ourselves and say that if we do certain things, we'll live forever in happiness. That's all it is. That is me 'belief', for now.

Anyway there is no 'proof' of Jesus ever living of existing, or at least of really being the Son of God or part of the Trinity or whatever, just a book, supposed prophecies 'coming true', and bunch of people who simply 'believe' in him. Call me adulterous or whatever you want, I'll believe it when I've experienced it.

My cousin has a funny belief. It's called "Flexible Athiesm." Meaning that typically he doesn't believe in God. But he does when in life threatening situations "Oh dear God, save me!" ;)

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 02:30:18 am »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
Maybe you're willing to live your life based on the tellings of a book, the likes of which you have no real idea of what has been through

Oh yeah, no idea, I've just been reading it, studying it, listening to its history being taught for only...oh almost 19 years now. Yep, no idea.  :roll:

By the way, if the oldest copy they have is from 400 A.D., how come they were reading it back before Jesus was born, ya know that is what B.C. stands for. Before Christ. Its called the Old Testament. But I'm sure you were aware of that before you posted that right? Of course you were.

Quote from: Mystik3eb
Religion is simply mankinds excuse to believe in something after this life, something to cover makind's fear of nothing after death, to give hope to ourselves and say that if we do certain things, we'll live forever in happiness. That's all it is. That is me 'belief', for now.

Anyway there is no 'proof' of Jesus ever living of existing, or at least of really being the Son of God or part of the Trinity or whatever, just a book, supposed prophecies 'coming true', and bunch of people who simply 'believe' in him. Call me adulterous or whatever you want, I'll believe it when I've experienced it.

That's just about the most naive thing I've ever heard. "Believing" is one of the central principles in Christianity, its faith. Its true, alot of times we have no actual, physical proof, but its not about that, its about, like I said, faith. Mankind wants to over-analyze everything, put God in a little box so they can explain Him, but it just doesn't work that way. If you are faithful, then He is revealed to you through things He works in in your life, and that will be your proof, and in turn, will be at times, unexplainable and intangible. That is stronger than any physical proof. And I believe one day, you will see it and experience it, I just hope you're on the believing side when you experience God.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 02:37:28 am »
*sigh* Faith has no grounds. It's just...faith. Believe! Believe in whatever your taught, or read, or want, or I say, or he/she says! Since you don't have proof, just believe!

I don't live my life based on things I don't know. In either case, I'm no less 'naive' than anyone living. None of us really know what's on the other side. And we won't until we get there. How we live this life is up to us, that's the beauty of life. We can live how we want.

I was LDS for 19 years of my life, straight from birth. I know the first thing about being heavy into religion, and the most involving religion in Christianity, at that. I know all about it, and the teachings, and not just of the LDS church. I 'believe' now that we should live life happy, not unhappy, especially since we don't know what's waiting (or not waiting) for us.

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 02:46:20 am »
Know what I believe? I believe that life is pointless if you don't have anything to believe in. And even if one is faithful for naught, and on the other side they find they were wrong... well, at least they died fighting for their cause, fighting for their beliefs.

Now, consider the alternative, what if they were right, how much sweeter would that be to find they did not fight for nothing! That they would be rewarded on the other side for their courage! That they could spend the rest of eternity in peace, and that because they held onto that faith right until the very end that it was not folly and in vain?

That possibility my friend is worth just simply believing.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 02:54:48 am »
And if one is unhappy living that lifestyle, and then there's nothing to repay them on the other side? Honor doesn't compare to happiness in my book. And I'd rather not take the chance of wasting the only life I have being unhappy. Either way, we won't find out 'til we're dead, and I don't find one belief to be any more believable than the next.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 04:02:58 am »

I'm insulted you think I'm joking.
Too bad.

Try reading the Bible, more specifically the New Testament. Its all there. No proof He was the Son of Godf? Ever heard of the Trinity? The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all in one. Before you say, that's not possible, remember, He's God. He can do things like that. The whole point of Him sending Jesus was so that God Himself could walk among us and teach us through Jesus. That's not to say Jesus wasn't a seperate person, but that's the beauty of it, He was and is both.
By that logic, I could say that the kingdom of Zeal really existed, and it'd be truth simply because it was in some random 1995 videogame.

That's just about the most naive thing I've ever heard. "Believing" is one of the central principles in Christianity, its faith. Its true, alot of times we have no actual, physical proof, but its not about that, its about, like I said, faith. Mankind wants to over-analyze everything, put God in a little box so they can explain Him, but it just doesn't work that way. If you are faithful, then He is revealed to you through things He works in in your life, and that will be your proof, and in turn, will be at times, unexplainable and intangible. That is stronger than any physical proof. And I believe one day, you will see it and experience it, I just hope you're on the believing side when you experience God.

Quote from: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful [as the Babel fish] could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God.

The argument goes like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn’t thought of that," and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.
I really wanted to post the classic "Where's your God now?" pic, but I guess this place is too srs bsns.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 04:08:07 am »
Actually at this point, this topic needs to be split...

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 01:16:40 pm »
I have lost tons of respect for knuck and Mystik.  Congrats.  Try and maybe do some research rather than spit up what other aetheist spit up.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 01:50:13 pm »
Can you show me any good proof that we're wrong?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 02:08:49 pm »
I'm not going to draw this off topic anymore than you two have.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 02:32:33 pm »
I believe it's pointless to argue about religion because perfectly sensible board members start squabbling like children.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 02:47:22 pm »
Sentenal, Mystik, cut it out.

It isn't cool to spout like that. You're both free to believe how you'd like. However, this doesn't mean you're right.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 03:31:51 pm »
Quote from: Exodus
Sentenal, Mystik, cut it out.

It isn't cool to spout like that. You're both free to believe how you'd like. However, this doesn't mean you're right.

Quote from: Sentenal
I'm not going to draw this off topic anymore than you two have.

That means that I am going to cut it out.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 03:33:28 pm »
And I hadn't responded, either.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 09:36:44 pm »
No need to cut it out, the topic was split.
Quote from: Sentenal
I have lost tons of respect for knuck and Mystik.  Congrats.  Try and maybe do some research rather than spit up what other aetheist spit up.

That because our point of view is different from yours?
Wow.