Poll

Do You Believe in "God"?

Yes. I Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
21 (58.3%)
No. I Don't Believe in a Supernatural Entity(s).
7 (19.4%)
Maybe?
5 (13.9%)
No. Man is "God".
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: October 30, 2005, 08:44:48 pm

Author Topic: Do You Believe in "God"?  (Read 33443 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Do You Believe in "God"?
« Reply #240 on: October 26, 2006, 03:48:08 pm »
Must you always obstruct my replies to other people with throwaway lines? Give it a rest, my good man. The novelty of your inevitable retort wore out a long time ago.
Yes, yes I must.
And judging by you ignoring my question completely, I'm assuming you believe the universe born out of your oh-so massive intellect and superiority.

Fuck you and your arrogance.

He explained that he does not make "close-the-casket, we're done here" assertions. He may support the theory of the Big Bang, just as we all support the theory of gravity. But there are no utter ground beliefs in science. And that's a good thing, since science can adapt to new knowledge and approaches to old problems and ideas. It is open for debate and question; may the best logic win.

That was like his entire last paragraph. Missed it?

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2006, 04:04:16 pm »
Part of what Dawkins argues is that part of why religion is so destructive is because it is irrational and unreasonable. Once you overcome those stumbling blocks and escape religion, how do turn around and justify equally irrational beliefs, and what good comes of it if you do?

That's the entire idea.  Dawkins supports a naturalistic worldview, rather than a simple rejection of religion.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2006, 04:48:27 am »
Must you always obstruct my replies to other people with throwaway lines? Give it a rest, my good man. The novelty of your inevitable retort wore out a long time ago.
Yes, yes I must.
And judging by you ignoring my question completely, I'm assuming you believe the universe born out of your oh-so massive intellect and superiority.

Fuck you and your arrogance.

He explained that he does not make "close-the-casket, we're done here" assertions. He may support the theory of the Big Bang, just as we all support the theory of gravity. But there are no utter ground beliefs in science. And that's a good thing, since science can adapt to new knowledge and approaches to old problems and ideas. It is open for debate and question; may the best logic win.

That was like his entire last paragraph. Missed it?
Obviously.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2006, 11:59:10 pm »
Alright, so I finished The God Delusion today. Really good book, and I quite recommend it. The book is divided in to 10 chapters, and each deals with a problem of religion and why religion is more problem than solution where the topic at hand is discussed.

Early on, he deals with the "God Hypothesis", and why it is a hypothesis about the universe, and should be analysed as skeptically and rationally as any other. Dawkins argues that religous beliefs are not special, and should be held up to rational scrutiny just like any other assertion. Next, Dawkins deconstructs the arguments in favor of a god, and then proceeds to put forth arguments showing that "there almost certainly is no God". The book continues with a look at the roots of religion before dealing with the myth that religion is needed, or even provides, for morality. The follow up to this is a discussion on why, beyond simply not being a source of morality, religion is actually bad for the world.

After that, Dawkins deals with religion as it relates to children. In this segment, his main point is that children should not be refered to as having their parents religion as they have not had a chance to critically consider the full implications of the faith and make a conclusion on their own as to what they believe.

Quote from: Preface
...but if you hear anybody speak of a 'Catholic child', stop them and politely point out that children are too young to know where they stand on economics or politics...You can't say it too often. I'll say it again. That is not a Muslim child, but a child of Muslim parents. That child is too young to know whether it is a Muslim or not. There is no such thing as a Muslim child. There is no such thing as a Christian child.

The book is quite well writen, and makes compelling cases for most of the arguments presented. I recommend this book both to those that have already abandoned religion as well as believers. I should mention that Dawkins states in the preface that he hopes the book will help draw people away from religion. To those faithful that are reluctant to read the book (or any like it) for that reason, consider that if what you believe is true, then it should be trivial to dismiss the claims Dawkins puts forward. And even if it isn't trivial, you'll still have put your mind to work, and that's never a bad thing.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2006, 04:03:07 am »
Saying it to a Muslim person wouldn't change a thing. They believe all babies are "Muslim", as they are clean of all sin.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2006, 04:31:16 am »
Saying it to a Muslim person wouldn't change a thing. They believe all babies are "Muslim", as they are clean of all sin.

Believing a thing does not make it true. Or even sensible.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2006, 03:37:15 pm »

But it makes it tasty. Hmmm.

Was it a metaphor? Think what you will.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2006, 02:42:59 am »

Yeah. I know...err...ok.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2006, 02:50:29 am »

Yeah. I know...err...ok.

So you understand why that mindset is problematic, yes? You understand why abandoning reason and just saying "it is because the voice in my head says so" is a dangerous and foolhardy way to go through life? If you understand this, and I think that you do, you understand why it is important to try; to not let statements like that stand uncontested.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2006, 01:55:19 am »
All I was saying was that Muslims believe that. I wasn't trying to challenge anything.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2006, 02:50:46 am »
All I was saying was that Muslims believe that. I wasn't trying to challenge anything.

Come come, now. Let's not generalize the beliefs of Muslims. I have it on good authority that that would be uncouth.

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
  • # 8 Corey Taylor SlipKnoT
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2006, 09:40:51 am »
What about Satan? Do you believe in Satan or any other dark lord? (Clay's gonna flip...hehehe.)

Dr. Satan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:58:28 am by Corey Taylor »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2006, 01:52:54 pm »
What about Satan? Do you believe in Satan or any other dark lord? (Clay's gonna flip...hehehe.)

I don't believe in any gods, demons, or devils. Ghosts... Now there's something of interest.

Corey Taylor

• Guardian (+100)
  • # 8 Corey Taylor SlipKnoT
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2006, 12:20:11 am »
I'm not a devil worshiper. It's just interesting to learn about to give you a sense of awareness. In the Christian faith that is.

Mavix

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • I'm the pirate and I make any fool walk the Plank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2006, 03:10:06 pm »

I'm not a devil worshiper. It's just interesting to learn about to give you a sense of awareness. In the Christian faith that is.

exactly. if you dont beleive in satan than you don't beleive in God. its a ssimple as that!